The remarkable statistics behind Tim Cahill's 50 Caltex Socceroos goals
Tim Cahill. Legend. Hero. Absolute freak. The striker has tallied 50 goals for Australia in his glittering international career.
Combining technical quality with the knack of delivering when it matters, there have been few Australian footballers able to match the 38-year-old's prowess.
Here are the top 10 statistics you need to know about Cahill and his goals for Australia.
- Of his 50 A international goals, 25 have been from headers.
- His first goal for the Socceroos was scored 14 minutes in to Caltex Socceroos v Tahiti match in Adelaide 13 years ago, on 31 May 2004 (W, 9-0).
- His first five goals for the Caltex Socceroos were all headers: two v Tahiti (W9-0), three v Fiji (W6-1), May-June Adelaide 2004.
- Luke Wilkshire provided the assist for seven of Cahill's goals, the most for any Caltex Socceroos player.
- Robbie Kruse provided the assist for three of Cahill's last five goals.
- He has two hat-tricks among the 50 goals: v Fiji (W6-1), Adelaide, June 2004 AND v Bangladesh (W4-0), Dhaka, November 2015
- Cahill overtook Damian Mori as record goalscorer in A international matches with his 30th goal, against Ecuador (L3-4) in March 2014.
- Not only is he the Caltex Socceroos' top goalscorer, he is the oldest goalscorer - aged 37 years 308 days against Syria, more than a year older than the second-oldest goalscorer Mehmet Durakovic, v Tahiti, Auckland, 2002 (W2-1).
READ: Tim Cahill reveals his favourite ANZ Stadium moment
READ: Fans decide Tim Cahill's most memorable Caltex Socceroos goal
READ: The defining moments of Tim Cahill’s Caltex Socceroos legacy
GALLERY: Tim Cahill's Caltex Socceroos career
OTHER AUSSIE GOALS
Cahill has scored two other goals for Australian national teams.
1. A strike for the Olympic team v Serbia and Montenegro at the 2004 Olympics.
2. An effort for the Caltex Socceroos against VV Kloetinge in a warm-up game for 2006 FIFA World Cup.
And of course, both of these goals were headers!
Caltex Socceroos defender Behich heading back to Turkey
Caltex Socceroos defender Aziz Behich has made a move back to Turkey, joining İstanbul Başakşehir FK on a three-year deal. After being unable to break into Mark van Bommel’s PSV side in the Eredivisie, the 28-year-old left-back has decided to join the Istanbul-based outfit whi
When are your Caltex Socceroos in action this weekend?
Europa League qualification and important clashes for a couple of recalled faces to the Caltex Socceroos squad are on the agenda for your Aussies Abroad this weekend. Read on for a full rundown of what's ahead for our overseas Aussie stars (all times are AEST). Amini’s
How to watch Korea Republic v Caltex Socceroos
On Friday, 7 June in Busan, Graham Arnold’s Caltex Socceroos will take on Korea Republic in an international friendly. With a core group of experienced Australia i...nternationals rested ahead of a busy FIFA World Cup qualifying schedule, the match serves as a chance for Arnold t
The 11 Hyundai A-League players in the Caltex Socceroos squad
Sydney FC’s Grand Final hero, a 1.98 metre defender from Stoke City and a revitalised Bundesliga attacker are among six uncapped players to be included in Graham Arnold’s latest Caltex Socceroos squad. Three of those players – Sydney FC pair Andrew Redmayne and Brandon O'Neil