Tim Cahill’s top 10 goal stats for the Caltex Socceroos
Tim Cahill. Legend. Hero. Absolute freak. The striker hit goal number 50 for the Socceroos this week after his two goals against Syria in Australia’s 2-1 World Cup playoff win on Tuesday night.
Here are 10 key stats about Cahill’s national team goals.
- Of his 50 A international goals, 25 have been from headers
- His first goal for the Socceroos was scored 14 minutes in to Caltex Socceroos v Tahiti match in Adelaide 13 years ago, on 31 May 2004 (W, 9-0)
- His first five goals for the Caltex Socceroos were all headers: two v Tahiti (W9-0), three v Fiji (W6-1), May-June Adelaide 2004
- Current Sydney FC player Luke Wilkshire has provided the assist for seven of Cahill's goals, the most for any player
- Robbie Kruse has provided the assist for three of Cahill's last five goals
- He has two hat-tricks among the 50 goals: v Fiji (W6-1), Adelaide, June 2004 AND v Bangladesh (W4-0), Dhaka, November 2015
- Cahill overtook Damian Mori as record goalscorer in A international matches with his 30th goal, against Ecuador (L3-4) in March 2014
- Not only is he the Caltex Socceroos' top goalscorer, he is the oldest goalscorer - aged 37 years 308 days against Syria, more than a year older than the second-oldest goalscorer Mehmet Durakovic, v Tahiti, Auckland, 2002 (W2-1)
OTHER AUSSIE GOALS
He has scored two other goals for Australian teams:
- for the Olympic team v Serbia and Montenegro at the 2004 Olympics
- for the Caltex Socceroos against VV Kloetinge in a warm-up game for 2006 World Cup
- Both of these goals were also headers
AND DID YOU KNOW?
At national league level he is also on a round number with exactly 150 goals in league matches in England (Millwall and Everton), USA (New York Red Bulls), China (Shanghai Shenua and Hangzhou Greentown) and Australia (Melbourne City) leading into Round 2 of the 2017-18 Hyundai A-League season.
Cahill, Goodwin, Grant named in Caltex Socceroos squad for Lebanon clash
Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Graham Arnold today named a 24-player squad for his side’s international friendly against Lebanon on Tuesday evening, presenting opportunities for numerous players including some based in the Hyundai A-League. Sydney FC’s Rhyan Grant and Adelaide U
The numbers behind Australia's draw with Korea Republic
Australia’s dominance against Korea Republic was on full display when taking even the briefest of glances at the stats sheet. The Caltex Socceroos had 22 shots on goal to Korea Republic’s four but needed stoppage time to produce an equaliser through Massimo Luongo in Saturday
Risdon loving Arnold's new style that 'suits me very well'
Australia defender Josh Risdon said he is thriving in Graham Arnold’s new-look style after another impressive performance in green and gold. The Western Sydney Wanderers right back was one of Australia’s best performers in an exciting 1-1 friendly draw with Korea Republic in B
'Enormous amount of progress' delights Caltex Socceroos star
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Maty Ryan said he was greatly encouraged by what he saw in Saturday evening’s 1-1 friendly draw with Korea Republic. Graham Arnold’s side controlled the contest but left it late, scoring a stoppage-time equaliser through Massimo Luongo at Suncorp St