Tim Cahill’s top 10 goal stats for the Caltex Socceroos
Tim Cahill. Legend. Hero. Absolute freak. The striker hit goal number 50 for the Socceroos this week after his two goals against Syria in Australia’s 2-1 World Cup playoff win on Tuesday night.
Here are 10 key stats about Cahill’s national team goals.
- Of his 50 A international goals, 25 have been from headers
- His first goal for the Socceroos was scored 14 minutes in to Caltex Socceroos v Tahiti match in Adelaide 13 years ago, on 31 May 2004 (W, 9-0)
- His first five goals for the Caltex Socceroos were all headers: two v Tahiti (W9-0), three v Fiji (W6-1), May-June Adelaide 2004
- Current Sydney FC player Luke Wilkshire has provided the assist for seven of Cahill's goals, the most for any player
- Robbie Kruse has provided the assist for three of Cahill's last five goals
- He has two hat-tricks among the 50 goals: v Fiji (W6-1), Adelaide, June 2004 AND v Bangladesh (W4-0), Dhaka, November 2015
- Cahill overtook Damian Mori as record goalscorer in A international matches with his 30th goal, against Ecuador (L3-4) in March 2014
- Not only is he the Caltex Socceroos' top goalscorer, he is the oldest goalscorer - aged 37 years 308 days against Syria, more than a year older than the second-oldest goalscorer Mehmet Durakovic, v Tahiti, Auckland, 2002 (W2-1)
OTHER AUSSIE GOALS
He has scored two other goals for Australian teams:
- for the Olympic team v Serbia and Montenegro at the 2004 Olympics
- for the Caltex Socceroos against VV Kloetinge in a warm-up game for 2006 World Cup
- Both of these goals were also headers
AND DID YOU KNOW?
At national league level he is also on a round number with exactly 150 goals in league matches in England (Millwall and Everton), USA (New York Red Bulls), China (Shanghai Shenua and Hangzhou Greentown) and Australia (Melbourne City) leading into Round 2 of the 2017-18 Hyundai A-League season.
Cahill reveals favourite Caltex Socceroos' goal, future plans and more
Tim Cahill has pulled the curtains on a glittering Caltex Socceroos' career. Speaking to a media conference at the Star Casino in Darling Harbour, there was no shortage of emotion as the 38-year-old reminisced on a remarkable tenure in the Australian national team. Here's w
The unseen pain that spurred Cahill’s incredible career
Tim Cahill has achieved it all in his Caltex Socceroos career. His legacy, achievements and impact on Australian football will be lauded for generations on end. LEGACY: The defining moments to seal Cahill's Caltex Socceroos legacy REVEALED: How Cahill consistently punche
Outgoing sports science guru reveals proud Caltex Socceroos legacy
Australia's departing Head of Sports Science Dr Craig Duncan has spoken of his pride in seeing the Caltex Socceroos "dominate" physically at the FIFA World Cup™. Dr Duncan finished a four-year spell with the national team at the conclusion of football's showpiece event. In
Why Sainsbury isn't keen on Cahill's iconic kit number
Tim Cahill's retirement from international football sparked an avalanche of tributes for the Caltex Socceroos' all-time top scorer. The 38-year-old stepped away this week having left the lasting memory of him wheeling away to the corner flag for his trademark goal celebration.