Tim Cahill’s top 10 goal stats for the Caltex Socceroos
Tim Cahill. Legend. Hero. Absolute freak. The striker hit goal number 50 for the Socceroos this week after his two goals against Syria in Australia’s 2-1 World Cup playoff win on Tuesday night.
Here are 10 key stats about Cahill’s national team goals.
- Of his 50 A international goals, 25 have been from headers
- His first goal for the Socceroos was scored 14 minutes in to Caltex Socceroos v Tahiti match in Adelaide 13 years ago, on 31 May 2004 (W, 9-0)
- His first five goals for the Caltex Socceroos were all headers: two v Tahiti (W9-0), three v Fiji (W6-1), May-June Adelaide 2004
- Current Sydney FC player Luke Wilkshire has provided the assist for seven of Cahill's goals, the most for any player
- Robbie Kruse has provided the assist for three of Cahill's last five goals
- He has two hat-tricks among the 50 goals: v Fiji (W6-1), Adelaide, June 2004 AND v Bangladesh (W4-0), Dhaka, November 2015
- Cahill overtook Damian Mori as record goalscorer in A international matches with his 30th goal, against Ecuador (L3-4) in March 2014
- Not only is he the Caltex Socceroos' top goalscorer, he is the oldest goalscorer - aged 37 years 308 days against Syria, more than a year older than the second-oldest goalscorer Mehmet Durakovic, v Tahiti, Auckland, 2002 (W2-1)
OTHER AUSSIE GOALS
He has scored two other goals for Australian teams:
- for the Olympic team v Serbia and Montenegro at the 2004 Olympics
- for the Caltex Socceroos against VV Kloetinge in a warm-up game for 2006 World Cup
- Both of these goals were also headers
AND DID YOU KNOW?
At national league level he is also on a round number with exactly 150 goals in league matches in England (Millwall and Everton), USA (New York Red Bulls), China (Shanghai Shenua and Hangzhou Greentown) and Australia (Melbourne City) leading into Round 2 of the 2017-18 Hyundai A-League season.
Harry Kewell inducted into Sport Australia Hall of Fame
With 52,000 fans watching on in Stuttgart and millions on TV sets at home, a cool-headed Harry Kewell latched onto a deep cross before swiping it into the net to send the Socceroos into the knock-out stage of a World Cup for the first time. This moment of brilliance against Cr
'I've taken my game to the next level': Connor Chapman on a career-changing time in Korea
Would your 22-year-old self be brave enough to leave home and start a new life in Korea Republic? That’s exactly the path Connor Chapman took in a quest to take his game to the next level. And almost two years on his life-changing move, the Aussie boy is taking one of Asia’
When are your Caltex Socceroos in action this weekend?
Mathew Leckie could win his first minutes of the season this weekend after shaking off an injury problem to get back out on the track for Hertha Berlin. Meanwhile, there's another big Premier League test in store for Mathew Ryan, while fierce rivalries are set to play out acro
YOUR SAY: Fans decide Tim Cahill's best Caltex Socceroos moment
Australian football fans have had their say and now Tim Cahill's greatest Caltex Socceroos moment can be revealed. LEGEND: Cahill to get Caltex Socceroos send-off in Lebanon game DON'T MISS OUT: Be there when we farewell a legend Ahead of his farewell to international foot