Tim Cahill’s top 10 goal stats for the Caltex Socceroos
Tim Cahill. Legend. Hero. Absolute freak. The striker hit goal number 50 for the Socceroos this week after his two goals against Syria in Australia’s 2-1 World Cup playoff win on Tuesday night.
Here are 10 key stats about Cahill’s national team goals.
- Of his 50 A international goals, 25 have been from headers
- His first goal for the Socceroos was scored 14 minutes in to Caltex Socceroos v Tahiti match in Adelaide 13 years ago, on 31 May 2004 (W, 9-0)
- His first five goals for the Caltex Socceroos were all headers: two v Tahiti (W9-0), three v Fiji (W6-1), May-June Adelaide 2004
- Current Sydney FC player Luke Wilkshire has provided the assist for seven of Cahill's goals, the most for any player
- Robbie Kruse has provided the assist for three of Cahill's last five goals
- He has two hat-tricks among the 50 goals: v Fiji (W6-1), Adelaide, June 2004 AND v Bangladesh (W4-0), Dhaka, November 2015
- Cahill overtook Damian Mori as record goalscorer in A international matches with his 30th goal, against Ecuador (L3-4) in March 2014
- Not only is he the Caltex Socceroos' top goalscorer, he is the oldest goalscorer - aged 37 years 308 days against Syria, more than a year older than the second-oldest goalscorer Mehmet Durakovic, v Tahiti, Auckland, 2002 (W2-1)
OTHER AUSSIE GOALS
He has scored two other goals for Australian teams:
- for the Olympic team v Serbia and Montenegro at the 2004 Olympics
- for the Caltex Socceroos against VV Kloetinge in a warm-up game for 2006 World Cup
- Both of these goals were also headers
AND DID YOU KNOW?
At national league level he is also on a round number with exactly 150 goals in league matches in England (Millwall and Everton), USA (New York Red Bulls), China (Shanghai Shenua and Hangzhou Greentown) and Australia (Melbourne City) leading into Round 2 of the 2017-18 Hyundai A-League season.
Cahill's Millwall move: 4 burning questions
Tim Cahill's club future has been settled with a return to his first professional club Millwall confirmed for the remainder of the Championship season in England. After leaving Hyundai A-League club Melbourne City in December, Cahill will now look to get as much game time as p
Caltex Socceroos star Tim Cahill seals move to former club Millwall
Caltex Socceroos striker Tim Cahill has signed with former club Millwall until the end of the 2017/18 season, the club confirmed on Tuesday (AEDT). The 38-year-old returns to the Den after making more than 250 appearances for the Lions between 1998 and 2004. He scored an im