Aussies Abroad: Ryan gets bragging rights over Mooy, Langerak's dramatic day

Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Maty Ryan took the points in a much-anticipated showdown with compatriot Aaron Mooy in the English Premier League on Sunday morning (AEDT).

There was another all-Australian battle in the Championship, too, with Jackson Irvine’s Hull City claiming a surprise 3-2 win at Massimo Luongo’s Queens Park Rangers.

READ MORE: Mooy up for PFA Fans’ Player of the Month for November
AWER’S AWARD: Mabil wins global award for refugee work in Kenya
RANKINGS RISE: Caltex Socceroos go up in latest edition of FIFA rankings

And there was last-day joy for Mitch Langerak, as his Nagoya Grampus side avoided potential J-League relegation in dramatic fashion.

Read on to find out how your Caltex Socceroos performed overnight!

Ryan denies Mooy on the way to come-from-behind win

Conceding the opening goal after just 55 seconds - the fastest goal of the English Premier League season - the omens did not look good for Ryan and Brighton and Hove Albion on their trip to Huddersfield Town.

Bruno’s misjudged clearance allowed Mathias Jorgensen to head beyond a stranded Ryan and delight the John Smith’s Stadium crowd.

Brighton should have equalised, Florin Andone denied from point-blank range before Steve Mounie’s red card swung the match.

Huddersfield, then down to 10 men, nearly extended their advantage, though, with Ryan on hand to deny Mooy from an excellent free-kick that was close to creeping in.

The Seagulls levelled on the stroke of half-time through Shane Duffy before Andone made amends for his earlier blemish with a 69th-minute winner.


Brighton’s victory - their first since October - lifted them to 11th in the table.

Huddersfield, who were unbeaten in three, sit 17th, just one point clear of the relegation zone.

Irvine’s Hull jump out of the bottom three

Hull City moved from 22nd to 19th in the Championship after an excellent win at Loftus Road in a five-goal thriller.

Luongo and Irvine - centre midfield partners in the Caltex Socceroos’ 4-0 win over Kuwait in October - were in the thick of things as early goals to Jarrod Bowen and Markus Henriksen gave Hull a two-goal advantage.

QPR pulled a goal back in the 24th minute, though, and Angel Rangel was denied by the woodwork as they threatened a comeback.

Bowen’s second goal of the game snuffed out those chances, though, meaning Luke Freeman’s stoppage-time strike was merely a consolation for QPR, who dropped to 11th with defeat.


Incredible late drama helps Langerak’s men avoid relegation play-off

Nagoya Grampus headed into the final day of the J-League season in the relegation play-off spot, meaning they could face a clash against a second-tier side to determine their fate.

And Nagoya needed all sorts of luck to creep out of that spot, with late goals across the league helping the newly promoted side avoid the drop.

Knowing only a win would guarantee their survival, Nagoya - who drew 2-2 with fellow relegation contenders Shonan Bellmare - found themselves two goals down at the break.

A close-range strike from Shunsuke Kikuchi was followed by a Tsukasa Umesaki penalty, after Langerak brought down Miki Yamane in the penalty area.

But Jo - the league’s top scorer - converted two second-half spot-kicks in the 67th and 75th minute, to ensure both sides shared the spoils.

That was enough for Shonan, who celebrated at the final whistle, but Nagoya’s fans nervously pondered the relegation play-off until news came in that Jubilo Iwata - also involved in the last-day drama - had conceded a stoppage-time own goal.

Jubilo - who led J-League winners Kawasaki Frontale 1-0 with just seven minutes to play - had spectacularly collapsed, losing 2-1, with the own goal coming from their captain, Kentaro Oi.

And that meant that Jubilo dropped below Nagoya on goal difference, with the final whistle in that fixture sparking scenes of celebration between Langerak, his teammates and Nagoya’s supporters.

Andrew Nabbout was also involved on the final day of the J-League campaign, starting and playing the full 90 minutes as Urawa Red Diamonds beat FC Tokyo 3-2 to end the season in fifth.

Nabbout provided an assist, too, setting up Tadanari Lee’s second goal in the 68th minute.

Aussie Hibs well beaten

Hibernian’s winless run was extended to six matches after Neil Lennon’s side suffered a 3-0 defeat at second-placed Kilmarnock in the Scottish Premiership.

The damage was done early, Kilmarnock leading 2-0 after 34 minutes, as only Martin Boyle played the full 90 minutes for Hibs’ Aussie contingent.

Mark Milligan lasted 86 minutes while Jamie Maclaren was an unused substitute.

Leckie starts again

Mathew Leckie’s star turn for Hertha Berlin last week won him his second Bundesliga start for the season and he played 87 minutes on the right wing as they won 2-0 at struggling Hannover.

Jimmy Jeggo got through 90 minutes in Austria Vienna’s 2-0 win against St Polten that lifted them to fifth in the table.

And Tomi Juric did not feature as FC Luzern were beaten 2-0 by Sion in Switzerland.