Ange Postecoglou named his 23-player squad today for two absolutely massive World Cup qualifiers over the coming two weeks in Japan (Aug 31) and in Melbourne against Thailand (Sept 5).
Here’s what you need to know...
1. The regular skipper Mile Jedinak is missing. Not for any reason other than the midfield warrior has been injured in recent months (he missed June’s Confederations Cup in Russia) and is only now being eased back into action at his English Championship club Aston Villa.
2. Three Hyundai A-League players have been named in Tim Cahill (City) and James Troisi and Mark Milligan from Victory.
3. Sixteen players ply their trade in Europe, UK and Scandinavia with four in Asian leagues outside of Australia.
4. The most capped player in the squad is Tim Cahill with 100. Only two players in the squad have yet to be capped in new faces Danny Vukovic (formerly of Sydney FC, now Genk in Belgium) and Awer Mabil (winger).
5. Mabil is an exciting addition to the squad. A lively, unpredictable striker he has great potential for the future.
WHO IS AWER MABIL?
► Mabil debuted for Adelaide United as a 17 year-old, coming off the bench for the Reds in a 3-2 win over Perth Glory in January 2013, becoming the fourth youngest player in the club's history.
► He played four more times that season, including two starts.
► In the following two seasons, he was used largely as an impact player, making 42 further appearances, only nine of which were starts.
► His first Hyundai A-League goal was a 90th minute consolation in a 2-1 loss to Wellington in February 2014 and he scored again against Wellington just four weeks later in a 5-1 rout.
► Mabil added six further goals in 2014/15, including a dramatic 87th minute winner against Brisbane in the first round of the finals series.
► He also represented Australia at the 2014 AFC U-19 Championship in Myanmar, playing all three games against Uzbekistan, UAE and Indonesia.
► The young attacker then earned a move to Midtjylland in Denmark, before being loaned to Esbjerg in August 2016.
► After scoring six goals in 37 appearances in the Danish top-flight, Mabil was loaned last month to Portuguese Primeira Liga outfit Pacos de Ferreira, where he has made three appearances so far.
21 days to go: Eugene Galekovic's FIFA World Cup story
The 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia is just three weeks away and as part of our countdown to the tournament, we are profiling every Australian player who has been to a FIFA World Cup. Today we continue the countdown with Eugene Galekovic, a goalkeeper who has been a member of Au
Opponent Watch: Peru’s message to Caltex Socceroos
Peru have kick-started the mind games ahead of next month’s FIFA World Cup, sending a special video to their Group C opponents in Russia, including the Caltex Socceroos. Meanwhile, Denmark’s squad have played their role in recording the nation’s official FIFA World Cup song, w
Why the Caltex Socceroos midfield core will be key in Russia
Jackson Irvine has lauded the strength and depth of the Caltex Socceroos’ midfield roster and says a core of UK-based players could make all the difference when Australia kicks off its 2018 World Cup campaign against France on June 16. The Hull City midfielder is one of severa
Nabbout reveals van Marwijk's influence on Caltex Socceroos
If the devil is in the detail, then the Caltex Socceroos will be ready for anything at next month’s FIFA World Cup. After another day of double sessions at their pre-FIFA World Cup training camp in Turkey, Caltex Socceroos attacker Andrew Nabbout has spoken about the influence