Ange Postecoglou named his 23-player squad today for two absolutely massive World Cup qualifiers over the coming two weeks in Japan (Aug 31) and in Melbourne against Thailand (Sept 5).
Here’s what you need to know...
1. The regular skipper Mile Jedinak is missing. Not for any reason other than the midfield warrior has been injured in recent months (he missed June’s Confederations Cup in Russia) and is only now being eased back into action at his English Championship club Aston Villa.
2. Three Hyundai A-League players have been named in Tim Cahill (City) and James Troisi and Mark Milligan from Victory.
3. Sixteen players ply their trade in Europe, UK and Scandinavia with four in Asian leagues outside of Australia.
4. The most capped player in the squad is Tim Cahill with 100. Only two players in the squad have yet to be capped in new faces Danny Vukovic (formerly of Sydney FC, now Genk in Belgium) and Awer Mabil (winger).
5. Mabil is an exciting addition to the squad. A lively, unpredictable striker he has great potential for the future.
WHO IS AWER MABIL?
► Mabil debuted for Adelaide United as a 17 year-old, coming off the bench for the Reds in a 3-2 win over Perth Glory in January 2013, becoming the fourth youngest player in the club's history.
► He played four more times that season, including two starts.
► In the following two seasons, he was used largely as an impact player, making 42 further appearances, only nine of which were starts.
► His first Hyundai A-League goal was a 90th minute consolation in a 2-1 loss to Wellington in February 2014 and he scored again against Wellington just four weeks later in a 5-1 rout.
► Mabil added six further goals in 2014/15, including a dramatic 87th minute winner against Brisbane in the first round of the finals series.
► He also represented Australia at the 2014 AFC U-19 Championship in Myanmar, playing all three games against Uzbekistan, UAE and Indonesia.
► The young attacker then earned a move to Midtjylland in Denmark, before being loaned to Esbjerg in August 2016.
► After scoring six goals in 37 appearances in the Danish top-flight, Mabil was loaned last month to Portuguese Primeira Liga outfit Pacos de Ferreira, where he has made three appearances so far.
Aussies Abroad: Taggart strikes again for Suwon Bluewings
Adam Taggart has continued his K-League hot-streak with an equaliser for Suwon Bluewings in Sunday’s 1-1 draw with leaders Jeonbuk Motors. Taggart – who played his first match for Australia in close to five years in the Caltex Socceroos 1-0 loss to Korea Republic earlier this
Copa America 2020 a 'phenomenal opportunity' for Caltex Socceroos: Ryan
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Mathew Ryan believes the Caltex Socceroos’ participation in the Copa America 2020 is a ‘phenomenal’ opportunity for Australian football. Australia are heading to the 47th edition of the showpiece South American tournament, to held in Argentina and C
Mooy learns who he'll face in the Championship's opening round
Caltex Socceroos star Aaron Mooy has learned who he’ll face on the opening day of the EFL Championship 2019/20 season with Huddersfield Town. The Terriers – relegated from the Premier League last campaign after two years in the top flight - will host Derby County at The John S