Caltex Socceroo Jackson Irvine has continued 2018 where he left off last year.
2017 was Irvine’s breakthrough year with Australia.
The Hull City midfielder registered a debut goal (a bullet header in Sydney against UAE a year ago in a World Cup qualifier) and some impressive displays overall signalled his rise in the national team.
And again, in Australia’s first game of 2018 early on Saturday morning (AEST), it was his powerful header that opened the scoring against Norway in Olso.
Unfortunately, it was one of the few highlights in a 4-1 friendly loss to an energetic Norwegian side.
Irvine’s goal means he has been directly involved in three goals in his last four appearances for club and country combined.
His goal in Oslo coming off the back of one goal and one assist over his last three games for Hull City.
On a night when the positives were hard to find – though it’s still very early in the van Marwijk era – Irvine showed why he’s going to be a key man in Russia this June.
Five years after debuting for his nation, the 25-year-old is really starting to stamp his authority on the team.
OTHER MATCH FACTS FROM NORWAY V AUSTRALIA
- Australia have now won just one of their last 10 international friendlies (D3 L6), losing the last three in succession.
- They have conceded more in those last three friendly games (10) than their previous eight combined (nine).
- The Socceroos have failed to keep a clean sheet in 11 of their last 12 internationals, conceding 21 goals in that time.
- Each of Australia’s last four international goals has come from set-piece situations (two penalties, one free-kick, one corner).
- Ola Kamara’s hat-trick was the second by a Norway player in their last five international games after Mohamed Elyounoussi did so against San Marino back in October 2017.
When are your Caltex Socceroos in action this weekend?
Mathew Leckie could win his first minutes of the season this weekend after shaking off an injury problem to get back out on the track for Hertha Berlin. Meanwhile, there's another big Premier League test in store for Mathew Ryan, while fierce rivalries are set to play out acro
YOUR SAY: Fans decide Tim Cahill's best Caltex Socceroos moment
Australian football fans have had their say and now Tim Cahill's greatest Caltex Socceroos moment can be revealed. LEGEND: Cahill to get Caltex Socceroos send-off in Lebanon game DON'T MISS OUT: Be there when we farewell a legend Ahead of his farewell to international foot
Aussies Abroad: Rogic and Vukovic prevail in UEFA Europa League openers
A bumper morning of UEFA Europa League fixtures produced mixed results for our Caltex Socceroos. Here's our wrap of all the morning action! PROGRESS REPORT: Awer Mabil assessed AUSSIES ABROAD: Degenek denies Napoli on UEFA Champions League debut MORE AUSSIES ABROAD: Arzan
'Pace and ability': Meulensteen excited by new artillery in Caltex Socceroos setup
He helped make Cristiano Ronaldo a superstar and now ex-Manchester United first-team coach Rene Meulensteen likes what he sees from Australia's emerging crop of attackers. The former Fulham manager and United youth guru worked with the Caltex Socceroos for the first time this