Caltex Socceroos undone by Norway in van Marwijk's maiden match
Jackson Irvine's second Caltex Socceroos goal proved a rare bright spot as Bert van Marwijk's tenure began with a 4-1 defeat to Norway in Oslo on Saturday morning (AEDT).
Hull City midfielder Irvine nodded the opener inside 20 minutes, but Ola Kamara's hat-trick around a Tore Reginiussen header helped the hosts to a comfortable victory.
Van Marwijk handed debuts to Dimitri Petratos and his former Newcastle Jets team-mate Andrew Nabbout in an experimental starting XI.
Aleksandar Susnjar also won his first cap off the bench while the likes of Tom Rogic, Massimo Luongo and Tomi Juric were injected for the final half-hour.
But Mathew Leckie's 50th international appearance failed to inspire the Aussies, who will regroup for the friendly with Colombia in London on Wednesday morning (AEDT).
STORY OF THE GAME
- CHANCE: Kamara slips a pass into Bjorn Johnsen's feet, but the rangy striker's finish is beaten away by Mat Ryan.
- GOAL! Irvine emphatically heads in Aaron Mooy's corner in the 19th minute for the first goal of the Van Marwijk era.
- SHOT: Mooy's effort from the edge of the area is comfortably held by Rune Jarstein.
- GOAL! The crafty Kamara gets Norway back on level terms 10 minutes from half-time.
- GOAL! The hosts are ahead within three minutes of the restart as defender Reginiussen nods in a free-kick.
- GOAL! Norway punish a sloppy pass out of defence to extend the margin prior to the hour.
- SHOTS: Leckie and substitute Tom Rogic try their luck in quick succession, but Jarstein is untroubled.
- CHANCE: Susnjar is agonisingly close to meeting Mooy's whipped free-kick at the back post.
- GOAL! Kamara completes his treble in stoppage time.
Jackson Irvine, Australia 19': 0-1
Irvine climbs high at the near post to crash home a thumping header from Mooy's out-swinging cross.
Ola Kamara, Norway 36': 1-1
Mohamed Elyounoussi unpicks the right side of the Caltex Socceroos' defence and his poked pass across the face is buried by Kamara.
Tore Reginiussen, Norway 48': 2-1
An unmarked Reginiussen rises to meet Stefan Johansen's free-kick.
Ola Kamara, Norway 57': 3-1
Ryan's loose pass from the back is pounced upon by Markus Henriksen, whose clever pass through the heart of defence is buried first time by Kamar.
Ola Kamara, Norway 90'+1: 3-1
Kamara cuts in from the left and fires clinically beyond Ryan and into the bottom far corner.
Aussies Abroad: Taggart strikes again for Suwon Bluewings
Adam Taggart has continued his K-League hot-streak with an equaliser for Suwon Bluewings in Sunday’s 1-1 draw with leaders Jeonbuk Motors. Taggart – who played his first match for Australia in close to five years in the Caltex Socceroos 1-0 loss to Korea Republic earlier this
Copa America 2020 a 'phenomenal opportunity' for Caltex Socceroos: Ryan
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Mathew Ryan believes the Caltex Socceroos’ participation in the Copa America 2020 is a ‘phenomenal’ opportunity for Australian football. Australia are heading to the 47th edition of the showpiece South American tournament, to held in Argentina and C
Mooy learns who he'll face in the Championship's opening round
Caltex Socceroos star Aaron Mooy has learned who he’ll face on the opening day of the EFL Championship 2019/20 season with Huddersfield Town. The Terriers – relegated from the Premier League last campaign after two years in the top flight - will host Derby County at The John S