Caltex Socceroos undone by Norway in van Marwijk's maiden match
Jackson Irvine's second Caltex Socceroos goal proved a rare bright spot as Bert van Marwijk's tenure began with a 4-1 defeat to Norway in Oslo on Saturday morning (AEDT).
Hull City midfielder Irvine nodded the opener inside 20 minutes, but Ola Kamara's hat-trick around a Tore Reginiussen header helped the hosts to a comfortable victory.
Van Marwijk handed debuts to Dimitri Petratos and his former Newcastle Jets team-mate Andrew Nabbout in an experimental starting XI.
Aleksandar Susnjar also won his first cap off the bench while the likes of Tom Rogic, Massimo Luongo and Tomi Juric were injected for the final half-hour.
But Mathew Leckie's 50th international appearance failed to inspire the Aussies, who will regroup for the friendly with Colombia in London on Wednesday morning (AEDT).
STORY OF THE GAME
- CHANCE: Kamara slips a pass into Bjorn Johnsen's feet, but the rangy striker's finish is beaten away by Mat Ryan.
- GOAL! Irvine emphatically heads in Aaron Mooy's corner in the 19th minute for the first goal of the Van Marwijk era.
- SHOT: Mooy's effort from the edge of the area is comfortably held by Rune Jarstein.
- GOAL! The crafty Kamara gets Norway back on level terms 10 minutes from half-time.
- GOAL! The hosts are ahead within three minutes of the restart as defender Reginiussen nods in a free-kick.
- GOAL! Norway punish a sloppy pass out of defence to extend the margin prior to the hour.
- SHOTS: Leckie and substitute Tom Rogic try their luck in quick succession, but Jarstein is untroubled.
- CHANCE: Susnjar is agonisingly close to meeting Mooy's whipped free-kick at the back post.
- GOAL! Kamara completes his treble in stoppage time.
Jackson Irvine, Australia 19': 0-1
Irvine climbs high at the near post to crash home a thumping header from Mooy's out-swinging cross.
Ola Kamara, Norway 36': 1-1
Mohamed Elyounoussi unpicks the right side of the Caltex Socceroos' defence and his poked pass across the face is buried by Kamara.
Tore Reginiussen, Norway 48': 2-1
An unmarked Reginiussen rises to meet Stefan Johansen's free-kick.
Ola Kamara, Norway 57': 3-1
Ryan's loose pass from the back is pounced upon by Markus Henriksen, whose clever pass through the heart of defence is buried first time by Kamar.
Ola Kamara, Norway 90'+1: 3-1
Kamara cuts in from the left and fires clinically beyond Ryan and into the bottom far corner.
Confirmed: Australia's group for inaugural FIFA eNations Cup
Australia's group for the inaugural FIFA eNations Cup has been confirmed after the draw took place early on Tuesday morning (AEDT) in Zurich. Australia has been drawn into Group D alongside Portugal, Russia, Denmark and Netherlands, while 15 more nations were sorted into Group
23s show good signs against tough Tigers team
Australia U-23 National Team Head Coach Graham Arnold believes Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Malaysia U-23 at the Shah Alam Stadium close to Kuala Lumpur was the ‘perfect’ preparation for his squad leading up to Friday’s 2020 AFC U-23 Championship Qualification opener against Cambodia i
Aussies Abroad: Ryan sends Brighton to FA Cup semi-finals
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Mathew Ryan was the penalty shoot-out hero for Brighton and Hove Albion as the Premier League side beat Millwall 5-4 on penalties (2-2 after full-time) in an electrifying FA Cup quarter-final tie overnight. The 26-year-old former Hyundai A-League st
Aussies Abroad: Heartbreak for Mooy, Leckie as Milligan extends winning run with Hibs
A couple of Caltex Socceroos were involved in thrillers overnight while there was a midfield battle between two Aussies in the Championship. Read on for our full wrap of Caltex Socceroos in action on Sunday morning (AEDT). Aaron Mooy played 90 minutes as his Huddersfield To