Caltex Socceroos undone by Norway in van Marwijk's maiden match
Jackson Irvine's second Caltex Socceroos goal proved a rare bright spot as Bert van Marwijk's tenure began with a 4-1 defeat to Norway in Oslo on Saturday morning (AEDT).
Hull City midfielder Irvine nodded the opener inside 20 minutes, but Ola Kamara's hat-trick around a Tore Reginiussen header helped the hosts to a comfortable victory.
Van Marwijk handed debuts to Dimitri Petratos and his former Newcastle Jets team-mate Andrew Nabbout in an experimental starting XI.
Aleksandar Susnjar also won his first cap off the bench while the likes of Tom Rogic, Massimo Luongo and Tomi Juric were injected for the final half-hour.
But Mathew Leckie's 50th international appearance failed to inspire the Aussies, who will regroup for the friendly with Colombia in London on Wednesday morning (AEDT).
STORY OF THE GAME
- CHANCE: Kamara slips a pass into Bjorn Johnsen's feet, but the rangy striker's finish is beaten away by Mat Ryan.
- GOAL! Irvine emphatically heads in Aaron Mooy's corner in the 19th minute for the first goal of the Van Marwijk era.
- SHOT: Mooy's effort from the edge of the area is comfortably held by Rune Jarstein.
- GOAL! The crafty Kamara gets Norway back on level terms 10 minutes from half-time.
- GOAL! The hosts are ahead within three minutes of the restart as defender Reginiussen nods in a free-kick.
- GOAL! Norway punish a sloppy pass out of defence to extend the margin prior to the hour.
- SHOTS: Leckie and substitute Tom Rogic try their luck in quick succession, but Jarstein is untroubled.
- CHANCE: Susnjar is agonisingly close to meeting Mooy's whipped free-kick at the back post.
- GOAL! Kamara completes his treble in stoppage time.
Jackson Irvine, Australia 19': 0-1
Irvine climbs high at the near post to crash home a thumping header from Mooy's out-swinging cross.
Ola Kamara, Norway 36': 1-1
Mohamed Elyounoussi unpicks the right side of the Caltex Socceroos' defence and his poked pass across the face is buried by Kamara.
Tore Reginiussen, Norway 48': 2-1
An unmarked Reginiussen rises to meet Stefan Johansen's free-kick.
Ola Kamara, Norway 57': 3-1
Ryan's loose pass from the back is pounced upon by Markus Henriksen, whose clever pass through the heart of defence is buried first time by Kamar.
Ola Kamara, Norway 90'+1: 3-1
Kamara cuts in from the left and fires clinically beyond Ryan and into the bottom far corner.
Stars align for Grant's dream Caltex Socceroos debut
Rhyan Grant’s stars are finally aligning, with a Caltex Socceroos debut clean sheet in his home city of Sydney. The Sydney FC defender has certainly had to overcome his struggles, recovering from a second ACL injury, but the months of gruelling rehab all paid off with a first
Life after Timmy: all-action Boyle emerges as new Caltex Socceroos hero
It was a fitting way for Martin Boyle to tribute the heart-felt welcome of an Australian legend. Only hours after being gifted a signed Caltex Socceroos jersey by Tim Cahill, Boyle's brace in Australia's 3-0 win against Lebanon on Tuesday night has seen him emerge as a new her
'He’s fit into the group so well': Arnie hails Boyle after eye-catching Lebanon display
Convincing Martin Boyle to play for the Caltex Socceroos was a no-brainer, according to Graham Arnold. On an evening where the Caltex Socceroos' greatest goal scorer Tim Cahill was farewelled, Boyle’s double could prove to be a changing of the guard moment for the Australian n
Report: Boyle hits double as Caltex Socceroos farewell Cahill in style against Lebanon
Martin Boyle grabbed a brace on his Caltex Socceroos starting debut as Australia farewelled Tim Cahill in style, beating Lebanon 3-0 at ANZ Stadium on Tuesday night. The 25-year-old struck an opening-half double and laid on a second-half strike for Mathew Leckie in front of 33