Caltex Socceroos undone by Norway in van Marwijk's maiden match
Jackson Irvine's second Caltex Socceroos goal proved a rare bright spot as Bert van Marwijk's tenure began with a 4-1 defeat to Norway in Oslo on Saturday morning (AEDT).
Hull City midfielder Irvine nodded the opener inside 20 minutes, but Ola Kamara's hat-trick around a Tore Reginiussen header helped the hosts to a comfortable victory.
Van Marwijk handed debuts to Dimitri Petratos and his former Newcastle Jets team-mate Andrew Nabbout in an experimental starting XI.
Aleksandar Susnjar also won his first cap off the bench while the likes of Tom Rogic, Massimo Luongo and Tomi Juric were injected for the final half-hour.
But Mathew Leckie's 50th international appearance failed to inspire the Aussies, who will regroup for the friendly with Colombia in London on Wednesday morning (AEDT).
STORY OF THE GAME
- CHANCE: Kamara slips a pass into Bjorn Johnsen's feet, but the rangy striker's finish is beaten away by Mat Ryan.
- GOAL! Irvine emphatically heads in Aaron Mooy's corner in the 19th minute for the first goal of the Van Marwijk era.
- SHOT: Mooy's effort from the edge of the area is comfortably held by Rune Jarstein.
- GOAL! The crafty Kamara gets Norway back on level terms 10 minutes from half-time.
- GOAL! The hosts are ahead within three minutes of the restart as defender Reginiussen nods in a free-kick.
- GOAL! Norway punish a sloppy pass out of defence to extend the margin prior to the hour.
- SHOTS: Leckie and substitute Tom Rogic try their luck in quick succession, but Jarstein is untroubled.
- CHANCE: Susnjar is agonisingly close to meeting Mooy's whipped free-kick at the back post.
- GOAL! Kamara completes his treble in stoppage time.
Jackson Irvine, Australia 19': 0-1
Irvine climbs high at the near post to crash home a thumping header from Mooy's out-swinging cross.
Ola Kamara, Norway 36': 1-1
Mohamed Elyounoussi unpicks the right side of the Caltex Socceroos' defence and his poked pass across the face is buried by Kamara.
Tore Reginiussen, Norway 48': 2-1
An unmarked Reginiussen rises to meet Stefan Johansen's free-kick.
Ola Kamara, Norway 57': 3-1
Ryan's loose pass from the back is pounced upon by Markus Henriksen, whose clever pass through the heart of defence is buried first time by Kamar.
Ola Kamara, Norway 90'+1: 3-1
Kamara cuts in from the left and fires clinically beyond Ryan and into the bottom far corner.
Aussies Abroad weekend preview: Jones targets silverware in KNVB Cup showdown
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Brad Jones is 90 minutes away from adding another major trophy to his growing collection of silverware in the Netherlands. His nerves will be shared by his compatriots in the Championship, where two international team-mates are set to go head-to-hea
55 days to go: Dave Harding's FIFA World Cup story
There are fewer than two months until the 2018 FIFA World Cup and, as part of the run-up to Russia, we are profiling every Australian player who's been to the tournament. Today in our countdown is Dave Harding, a midfielder who was part of the history-making 1974 squad. REA
Ryan’s classy gesture for young Brighton fan
Mat Ryan’s generosity knows no bounds with the Caltex Socceroos gloveman making the day of a young Brighton and Hove Albion fan following the clash with Tottenham on Wednesday (AEST). The Aussie shot-stopper spotted a young Seagulls fan in the stands and presented him with his
Aussies Abroad: captain Sainsbury in big clash in Switzerland
Caltex Socceroos defender Trent Sainsbury continues to rack up some crucial game time ahead of the FIFA World Cup, playing another full game for Grasshopper Zurich in Switzerland. Sainsbury, who was captain for the match, was excellent for his side but was unable to help them