Caltex Socceroos v Honduras: stats analysis
The Caltex Socceroos dominated large periods but couldn't find an elusive goal in a 0-0 draw with Honduras in San Pedro Sula on Saturday (AEDT).
Here's all the key stats and facts from the first leg of the Intercontinental World Cup play-off.
- The teams could not be separated in their first meeting; it was the Socceroos’ first nil-all draw since March 2013 against Macedonia and Honduras’ first nil-all draw at home since a 2004 World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica.
- Australia have now failed to score a single goal in their three Intercontinental World Cup Qualifiers away from home, and were kept goalless in a World Cup Qualifier for just the second time in the last two years.
- Honduras picked up a fifth draw in their last eight World Cup Qualification games (W2, L1), though it was the first time they failed to score in a WCQ game since a 1-0 loss to Panama in November 2016.
- The Socceroos made their fewest passes (344) and their lowest passing accuracy (74%) of any game in the last 12 months.
- Bryan Beckeles (76) made more than 70 touches for the eighth time in this qualification campaign; no other Honduran player has done so more than three times.
‘I’m loving being back’: Behich beams about return to Turkey
Caltex Socceroos defender Aziz Behich has his sights set on Champions League football with new club ?stanbul Ba?ak?ehir FK after making a ?smooth transition? back into Turkish Football. After spending last season in Holland at PSV Eindhoven, Behich has returned to Turkey where
Gary van Egmond names maiden Young Socceroos squad
New Young Socceroos Head Coach Gary van Egmond today named his maiden squad in charge of Australia?s under-20 men?s national football team. Van Egmond has selected 30 players for a training camp at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra from Sunday, 28 July 2019 to Fri
Behich: Caltex Socceroos can ‘make a statement in Asia’ on the road to Qatar
Aziz Behich has vowed the Caltex Socceroos are ready to ?make a statement in Asia? during their FIFA World Cup 2022 qualifying campaign. The group stage of the second round of Asian Football Confederation qualifiers was drawn on Wednesday night and pitted Australia up against
Australia to face Jordan, Chinese Taipei, Kuwait, and Nepal in combined qualifiers
Australia will play Jordan, Chinese Taipei, Kuwait and Nepal in the first phase of their qualification journey to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022?. The official draw for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022? and AFC Asian Cup China 2023? ? Preliminary Joint Qualification Round 2 was held