Caltex Socceroos v Honduras: stats analysis
The Caltex Socceroos dominated large periods but couldn't find an elusive goal in a 0-0 draw with Honduras in San Pedro Sula on Saturday (AEDT).
Here's all the key stats and facts from the first leg of the Intercontinental World Cup play-off.
- The teams could not be separated in their first meeting; it was the Socceroos’ first nil-all draw since March 2013 against Macedonia and Honduras’ first nil-all draw at home since a 2004 World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica.
- Australia have now failed to score a single goal in their three Intercontinental World Cup Qualifiers away from home, and were kept goalless in a World Cup Qualifier for just the second time in the last two years.
- Honduras picked up a fifth draw in their last eight World Cup Qualification games (W2, L1), though it was the first time they failed to score in a WCQ game since a 1-0 loss to Panama in November 2016.
- The Socceroos made their fewest passes (344) and their lowest passing accuracy (74%) of any game in the last 12 months.
- Bryan Beckeles (76) made more than 70 touches for the eighth time in this qualification campaign; no other Honduran player has done so more than three times.
Social media reacts to the Socceroos' last-gasp victory over Syria
The Socceroos booked a spot in the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019™ knockout stages on Wednesday morning (AEDT) following a dramatic 3-2 victory over Syria, with the thrilling contest in Al Ain providing plenty of talking points. Stunning strikes from Awer Mabil and Tom Rogic, plus a s
Gallery: Best pics from Socceroos' win over Syria
The Socceroos made it back-to-back wins at the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019™ after their thrilling 3-2 win over Syria in Al Ain on Wednesday morning (AEDT). Tom Rogic scored a stoppage-time winner to ensure second spot in Group B for Graham Arnold’s side, after earlier goals f