A couple of Socceroos moved closer to this season’s UEFA Champions League group stage, while two Aussie defenders squared off in China’s FA Cup in today's wrap of overnight action.
Tom Rogic’s Celtic edged closer to the group stage of this season’s UEFA Champions League, with the Scottish side playing out a 1-1 draw away to Kazakhstan Premier League outfit FC Astana overnight.
The 23-year-old was a second-half substitute in Brendan Rogers’ third competitive match in charge.
Celtic play La Liga champions Barcelona in the ICC tournament on Sunday before hosting the return leg with Astana in Glasgow next week, the victor progressing to the play-off stage of the UCL.
And Socceroo Alex Gersbach's Rosenborg BK claimed a 2-1 home win against Cyprus outfit Apoel FC. The 19-year-old defender being an used substitute for the first leg as they eye a spot in the Champions League group stage.
Apostolos Giannou played the best part of an hour as Guangzhou R&F claimed a 2-1 win over Hebei CFFC in the quarter-finals of China’s CFA Cup.
The win saw R&F progress to the last four courtesy of a 5-1 aggregate win.
Two Socceroo defenders squared off in one of the night’s other quarter-finals, with Trent Sainsbury’s Jiangsu Suning prevailing over Ryan McGowan’s Henan Jianye, after extra-time was required.
Sainsbury made a substitute appearance in extra time as they won 3-1 on the night, while McGowan played the entire 120 minutes for the visitors.Club friendlies
- Socceroos skipper Mile Jedinak played 70 minutes as Crystal Palace claimed 3-2 win in their pre-season hit-out against AFC Wimbledon.
- Aziz Behich set up an equaliser for Bursaspor as they went on to beat SK Vorwarts Steyr 2-1 in their friendly in Austria.
- Daniel De Silva was deployed on the hour mark as Roda JC beat Spaninsh side Real Mallorca 3-1 in the Netherlands.
- Jason Davidson and Aaron Mooy both played 45 minutes for Huddersfield Town in their stalemate against Werder Bremen on Tuesday night.
A photo posted by AARON MOOY (@aaronmooy) on Jul 27, 2016 at 6:45am PDT
- Bailey Wright played a half for Preston North End as they claimed a 4-1 away win over Morecambe FC.
- Jordan Lyden impressed for Aston Villa as they beat Cambridge United 3-0 on the road.
- Jackson Irvine and Massimo Luongo also squared off in mid-week as Championship sides Burton Albion and Queens Park Rangers played out a 1-1 draw.
Norway v Caltex Socceroos: 4 key match ups
Bert van Marwijk’s first match in charge as Caltex Socceroos boss sees his side take on tricky European outfit Norway at the Ullevaal Stadion on Saturday, March 24 (AEDT). With a chance for his players to stake a claim for a spot on the plane to Russia in June, it’s an importa
Ultimate Guide: Caltex Socceroos vs Norway and Colombia
Caltex Socceroos coach Bert van Marwijk has assembled a 26-man squad for this month's twin friendlies that will help determine his FIFA World Cup roster. The players on show against Norway and Colombia have the chance to show the new boss what they can do as they push to squee
Elder’s FA Cup dream ended by Southampton
The fairytale run of Australian defender Callum Elder and his Wigan Athletic in England’s FA Cup is over after their quarter-final loss to Southampton on Monday morning (AEDT). Wigan, who play in League One, went down 2-0 at the DW Stadium after second-half goals from Pierre-E
Aussies Abroad: Rogic shines as Celtic held
Tom Rogic will head into Caltex Socceroos camp this week with another impressive 90 minutes under his belt as Celtic were held to a draw against Motherwell in the SPL overnight. Despite dominating the match and having double the shots at goal than their hosts, the Hoops were u