A couple of Socceroos moved closer to this season’s UEFA Champions League group stage, while two Aussie defenders squared off in China’s FA Cup in today's wrap of overnight action.
Tom Rogic’s Celtic edged closer to the group stage of this season’s UEFA Champions League, with the Scottish side playing out a 1-1 draw away to Kazakhstan Premier League outfit FC Astana overnight.
The 23-year-old was a second-half substitute in Brendan Rogers’ third competitive match in charge.
Celtic play La Liga champions Barcelona in the ICC tournament on Sunday before hosting the return leg with Astana in Glasgow next week, the victor progressing to the play-off stage of the UCL.
And Socceroo Alex Gersbach's Rosenborg BK claimed a 2-1 home win against Cyprus outfit Apoel FC. The 19-year-old defender being an used substitute for the first leg as they eye a spot in the Champions League group stage.
Apostolos Giannou played the best part of an hour as Guangzhou R&F claimed a 2-1 win over Hebei CFFC in the quarter-finals of China’s CFA Cup.
The win saw R&F progress to the last four courtesy of a 5-1 aggregate win.
Two Socceroo defenders squared off in one of the night’s other quarter-finals, with Trent Sainsbury’s Jiangsu Suning prevailing over Ryan McGowan’s Henan Jianye, after extra-time was required.
Sainsbury made a substitute appearance in extra time as they won 3-1 on the night, while McGowan played the entire 120 minutes for the visitors.Club friendlies
- Socceroos skipper Mile Jedinak played 70 minutes as Crystal Palace claimed 3-2 win in their pre-season hit-out against AFC Wimbledon.
- Aziz Behich set up an equaliser for Bursaspor as they went on to beat SK Vorwarts Steyr 2-1 in their friendly in Austria.
- Daniel De Silva was deployed on the hour mark as Roda JC beat Spaninsh side Real Mallorca 3-1 in the Netherlands.
- Jason Davidson and Aaron Mooy both played 45 minutes for Huddersfield Town in their stalemate against Werder Bremen on Tuesday night.
A photo posted by AARON MOOY (@aaronmooy) on Jul 27, 2016 at 6:45am PDT
- Bailey Wright played a half for Preston North End as they claimed a 4-1 away win over Morecambe FC.
- Jordan Lyden impressed for Aston Villa as they beat Cambridge United 3-0 on the road.
- Jackson Irvine and Massimo Luongo also squared off in mid-week as Championship sides Burton Albion and Queens Park Rangers played out a 1-1 draw.
Revealed: What Jedinak said to Socceroos teammates after loss
Socceroos skipper Mile Jedinak has explained what he said to teammates in a huddle following the narrow 2-1 loss to France at the FIFA World Cup™. Jedinak, who scored Australia’s goal from the penalty spot, was picked in midfield alongside Aaron Mooy and the duo produced a ste
The star a nation is built around: Denmark's key men
Denmark is the next name on the Socceroos’ list as they head to Samara for the second Group C fixture on Thursday night (AEST) – you can catch it at 10pm AEST on SBS and Optus Sport. Ranked 12th in the world, Denmark finished second in their qualifying group behind Poland and
Russia Wrap: ‘Biggest win in history’ after 52-year FIFA World Cup™ first
Both Germany and Brazil have been shocked in an incredible night of FIFA World Cup™ that left Mexico’s hero declaring this could be the biggest win in his country’s history. Plus Serbia get their FIFA World Cup™ off to a winning start in the other game on Monday morning AEST.
'I hope they go through': France praise for Socceroos
Defeat to France was seen as inevitable by many but in the end, it was a tough slog and Australia nearly took something away from their opening fixture in Group C. After a number of Les Bleus admitted they didn’t know many of Australia’s players, the unknown Socceroos give Fra