A couple of Socceroos moved closer to this season’s UEFA Champions League group stage, while two Aussie defenders squared off in China’s FA Cup in today's wrap of overnight action.
Tom Rogic’s Celtic edged closer to the group stage of this season’s UEFA Champions League, with the Scottish side playing out a 1-1 draw away to Kazakhstan Premier League outfit FC Astana overnight.
The 23-year-old was a second-half substitute in Brendan Rogers’ third competitive match in charge.
Celtic play La Liga champions Barcelona in the ICC tournament on Sunday before hosting the return leg with Astana in Glasgow next week, the victor progressing to the play-off stage of the UCL.
And Socceroo Alex Gersbach's Rosenborg BK claimed a 2-1 home win against Cyprus outfit Apoel FC. The 19-year-old defender being an used substitute for the first leg as they eye a spot in the Champions League group stage.
Apostolos Giannou played the best part of an hour as Guangzhou R&F claimed a 2-1 win over Hebei CFFC in the quarter-finals of China’s CFA Cup.
The win saw R&F progress to the last four courtesy of a 5-1 aggregate win.
Two Socceroo defenders squared off in one of the night’s other quarter-finals, with Trent Sainsbury’s Jiangsu Suning prevailing over Ryan McGowan’s Henan Jianye, after extra-time was required.
Sainsbury made a substitute appearance in extra time as they won 3-1 on the night, while McGowan played the entire 120 minutes for the visitors.Club friendlies
- Socceroos skipper Mile Jedinak played 70 minutes as Crystal Palace claimed 3-2 win in their pre-season hit-out against AFC Wimbledon.
- Aziz Behich set up an equaliser for Bursaspor as they went on to beat SK Vorwarts Steyr 2-1 in their friendly in Austria.
- Daniel De Silva was deployed on the hour mark as Roda JC beat Spaninsh side Real Mallorca 3-1 in the Netherlands.
- Jason Davidson and Aaron Mooy both played 45 minutes for Huddersfield Town in their stalemate against Werder Bremen on Tuesday night.
A photo posted by AARON MOOY (@aaronmooy) on Jul 27, 2016 at 6:45am PDT
- Bailey Wright played a half for Preston North End as they claimed a 4-1 away win over Morecambe FC.
- Jordan Lyden impressed for Aston Villa as they beat Cambridge United 3-0 on the road.
- Jackson Irvine and Massimo Luongo also squared off in mid-week as Championship sides Burton Albion and Queens Park Rangers played out a 1-1 draw.
Aussies Abroad: Milligan triumphs in battle of the Aussies, Jeggo suffers defeat in Austria
There were two Caltex Socceroos in action across Europe on Saturday morning (AEDT) as Mark Milligan and Jimmy Jeggo stepped out for Hibernian and Austria Vienna respectively.... Milligan played the full 90 in Scotland as Hibs overcame Dundee in a 4-2 thriller at Dens Park. AUS
Aussies Abroad: Vukovic injured as Genk exit Europa League
It wasn’t a happy night in the UEFA Europa League for Danny Vukovic as he was stretched off in Genk’s 4-1 loss to Slavia Prague on Friday morning (AEDT). AUSSIES ABROAD: Vukovic features in top-two battle NEW DEAL: In-form Vukovic rewarded with contract extension Still sco
When to watch your Caltex Socceroos this weekend
There's plenty for Caltex Socceroos fans to sink their teeth into this weekend with our homegrown heroes gearing up for some massive matches. Mathew Leckie attempts to slay a giant in Germany, two Aussies set aside national team loyalties in Denmark and Aaron Mooy goes on the
In-form Vukovic earns Genk contract extension
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Danny Vukovic has been rewarded for his excellent form with a two-season contract extension at Belgian club KRC Genk. The 33-year-old's deal was due to expire at the end of the campaign but the Pro League leaders have taken up their option to extend