A couple of Socceroos moved closer to this season’s UEFA Champions League group stage, while two Aussie defenders squared off in China’s FA Cup in today's wrap of overnight action.
Tom Rogic’s Celtic edged closer to the group stage of this season’s UEFA Champions League, with the Scottish side playing out a 1-1 draw away to Kazakhstan Premier League outfit FC Astana overnight.
The 23-year-old was a second-half substitute in Brendan Rogers’ third competitive match in charge.
Celtic play La Liga champions Barcelona in the ICC tournament on Sunday before hosting the return leg with Astana in Glasgow next week, the victor progressing to the play-off stage of the UCL.
And Socceroo Alex Gersbach's Rosenborg BK claimed a 2-1 home win against Cyprus outfit Apoel FC. The 19-year-old defender being an used substitute for the first leg as they eye a spot in the Champions League group stage.
Apostolos Giannou played the best part of an hour as Guangzhou R&F claimed a 2-1 win over Hebei CFFC in the quarter-finals of China’s CFA Cup.
The win saw R&F progress to the last four courtesy of a 5-1 aggregate win.
Two Socceroo defenders squared off in one of the night’s other quarter-finals, with Trent Sainsbury’s Jiangsu Suning prevailing over Ryan McGowan’s Henan Jianye, after extra-time was required.
Sainsbury made a substitute appearance in extra time as they won 3-1 on the night, while McGowan played the entire 120 minutes for the visitors.Club friendlies
- Socceroos skipper Mile Jedinak played 70 minutes as Crystal Palace claimed 3-2 win in their pre-season hit-out against AFC Wimbledon.
- Aziz Behich set up an equaliser for Bursaspor as they went on to beat SK Vorwarts Steyr 2-1 in their friendly in Austria.
- Daniel De Silva was deployed on the hour mark as Roda JC beat Spaninsh side Real Mallorca 3-1 in the Netherlands.
- Jason Davidson and Aaron Mooy both played 45 minutes for Huddersfield Town in their stalemate against Werder Bremen on Tuesday night.
A photo posted by AARON MOOY (@aaronmooy) on Jul 27, 2016 at 6:45am PDT
- Bailey Wright played a half for Preston North End as they claimed a 4-1 away win over Morecambe FC.
- Jordan Lyden impressed for Aston Villa as they beat Cambridge United 3-0 on the road.
- Jackson Irvine and Massimo Luongo also squared off in mid-week as Championship sides Burton Albion and Queens Park Rangers played out a 1-1 draw.
When are your Caltex Socceroos in action this weekend?
Awer Mabil and FC Midtjylland are out to flag their Danish Superliga intentions this weekend against Nordsjaellan... Midtjylland got their new campaign off to a winning start last Saturday morning as Mikael Anderson struck a 90th-minute winner in a 1-0 victory over Esbjerg.
Heat, humidity, altitude and air miles: what the Caltex Socceroos can expect on the road to Qatar
The Caltex Socceroos? road to Qatar 2022 is likely to be a long and winding one, featuring intense heat, humidity, altitude and countless air miles. Having received a bye through their first round of Asian Football Confederation qualifying for FIFA World Cup 2022, Graham Arnol
‘I’m loving being back’: Behich beams about return to Turkey
Caltex Socceroos defender Aziz Behich has his sights set on Champions League football with new club ?stanbul Ba?ak?ehir FK after making a ?smooth transition? back into Turkish Football. After spending last season in Holland at PSV Eindhoven, Behich has returned to Turkey where
Gary van Egmond names maiden Young Socceroos squad
New Young Socceroos Head Coach Gary van Egmond today named his maiden squad in charge of Australia?s under-20 men?s national football team. Van Egmond has selected 30 players for a training camp at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra from Sunday, 28 July 2019 to Fri