A couple of Socceroos moved closer to this season’s UEFA Champions League group stage, while two Aussie defenders squared off in China’s FA Cup in today's wrap of overnight action.
Tom Rogic’s Celtic edged closer to the group stage of this season’s UEFA Champions League, with the Scottish side playing out a 1-1 draw away to Kazakhstan Premier League outfit FC Astana overnight.
The 23-year-old was a second-half substitute in Brendan Rogers’ third competitive match in charge.
Celtic play La Liga champions Barcelona in the ICC tournament on Sunday before hosting the return leg with Astana in Glasgow next week, the victor progressing to the play-off stage of the UCL.
And Socceroo Alex Gersbach's Rosenborg BK claimed a 2-1 home win against Cyprus outfit Apoel FC. The 19-year-old defender being an used substitute for the first leg as they eye a spot in the Champions League group stage.
Apostolos Giannou played the best part of an hour as Guangzhou R&F claimed a 2-1 win over Hebei CFFC in the quarter-finals of China’s CFA Cup.
The win saw R&F progress to the last four courtesy of a 5-1 aggregate win.
Two Socceroo defenders squared off in one of the night’s other quarter-finals, with Trent Sainsbury’s Jiangsu Suning prevailing over Ryan McGowan’s Henan Jianye, after extra-time was required.
Sainsbury made a substitute appearance in extra time as they won 3-1 on the night, while McGowan played the entire 120 minutes for the visitors.Club friendlies
- Socceroos skipper Mile Jedinak played 70 minutes as Crystal Palace claimed 3-2 win in their pre-season hit-out against AFC Wimbledon.
- Aziz Behich set up an equaliser for Bursaspor as they went on to beat SK Vorwarts Steyr 2-1 in their friendly in Austria.
- Daniel De Silva was deployed on the hour mark as Roda JC beat Spaninsh side Real Mallorca 3-1 in the Netherlands.
- Jason Davidson and Aaron Mooy both played 45 minutes for Huddersfield Town in their stalemate against Werder Bremen on Tuesday night.
A photo posted by AARON MOOY (@aaronmooy) on Jul 27, 2016 at 6:45am PDT
- Bailey Wright played a half for Preston North End as they claimed a 4-1 away win over Morecambe FC.
- Jordan Lyden impressed for Aston Villa as they beat Cambridge United 3-0 on the road.
- Jackson Irvine and Massimo Luongo also squared off in mid-week as Championship sides Burton Albion and Queens Park Rangers played out a 1-1 draw.
Aussies Abroad: EFL Cup wrap
It might be early in the English football calendar but with the English Football League Cup commencing this morning, the season’s first silverware is now on the radar for the 92 participating clubs. Several Australian players were in action during a round one that saw multiple
Joeys squad selected for final training camp in Melbourne
Joeys Head Coach Trevor Morgan has named a 26-player squad for a training camp in Melbourne next week (13-19 August) as they prepare for the upcoming AFC U16 Championship in Malaysia which will be held later this year. Morgan is looking forward to working with the players agai
Mixed news for Caltex Socceroos duo in Champions League qualifying
Milos Degenek’s Red Star Belgrade are still alive in their bid to qualify for this season’s UEFA Champions League, but there was heartbreak for Tom Rogic’s Celtic. After a 1-1 draw at home in the first leg, Celtic lost 2-1 against Greek side AEK Athens on Wednesday morning to
Young Socceroos set for kick off in 2018 SBS Cup
A selection of Australia’s finest U18 footballers commence their 2018 SBS Cup campaign in Japan tomorrow evening. Ante Milicic’s side take on the host nation at Fujieda Stadium at 7.30pm kick off (AEST). AUSSIES ABROAD: Maclaren, Vukovic impress in Europe READ: Why Rene