Caltex Socceroos claim courageous draw against Colombia in London
Danny Vukovic saved an 86th-minute penalty to secure the Caltex Socceroos a battling 0-0 draw against a strong Colombia in London on Wednesday morning (AEDT).
Debutant goalkeeper Vukovic dived to his left to deny Miguel Borja and earn Bert van Marwijk's men a morale-boosting result against the 13th-ranked nation in the world, who started the likes of James Rodriguez and Radamel Falcao.
Tomi Juric and Massimo Luongo, two of five changes to the team that was beaten by Norway, went closest to an Australian winner either side of half-time.
But the best opportunities came at the other end late in proceedings as La Tricolor twice hit the post either side of Vukovic's penalty save.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CLOSE: Andres Uribe rises and beats Jones to a cross, but his glancing header bounces wide.
- CHANCE: Mat Leckie leaps well at the near post and makes a good connection, only to see his header drift over the far corner.
- CLOSE: Juric goes agonisingly close on the edge of half-time, turning Cristian Zapata and firing marginally wide of the far post.
- SHOT: Just a few minutes gone in the second half and Andrew Nabbout unleashes a bullet off his left that fades wide of the upright.
- SHOT: Miguel Borja sees an acrobatic bicycle kick whistle over the bar, before he's ruled
- SAVE: Vukovic gets his positioning spot on to beat away a James header.
- CHANCE: Borja inexplicably heads around the post from Johan Mojica's enticing cross.
- CHANCE: Glorious quick feet from Massimo Luongo as he jinks past three defenders before poking a finish straight at David Ospina.
- POST: The woodwork comes to Australia's rescue, keeping out Borja's header.
- PENALTY SAVE! Incredible late drama as Vukovic brings down Borja in the area, before denying the same man from the resultant spot-kick.
- POST: Borja again tests the woodwork from a free-kick.
Cahill, Goodwin, Grant named in Caltex Socceroos squad for Lebanon clash
Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Graham Arnold today named a 24-player squad for his side’s international friendly against Lebanon on Tuesday evening, presenting opportunities for numerous players including some based in the Hyundai A-League. Sydney FC’s Rhyan Grant and Adelaide U
The numbers behind Australia's draw with Korea Republic
Australia’s dominance against Korea Republic was on full display when taking even the briefest of glances at the stats sheet. The Caltex Socceroos had 22 shots on goal to Korea Republic’s four but needed stoppage time to produce an equaliser through Massimo Luongo in Saturday
Risdon loving Arnold's new style that 'suits me very well'
Australia defender Josh Risdon said he is thriving in Graham Arnold’s new-look style after another impressive performance in green and gold. The Western Sydney Wanderers right back was one of Australia’s best performers in an exciting 1-1 friendly draw with Korea Republic in B
'Enormous amount of progress' delights Caltex Socceroos star
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Maty Ryan said he was greatly encouraged by what he saw in Saturday evening’s 1-1 friendly draw with Korea Republic. Graham Arnold’s side controlled the contest but left it late, scoring a stoppage-time equaliser through Massimo Luongo at Suncorp St