Caltex Socceroos claim courageous draw against Colombia in London
Danny Vukovic saved an 86th-minute penalty to secure the Caltex Socceroos a battling 0-0 draw against a strong Colombia in London on Wednesday morning (AEDT).
Debutant goalkeeper Vukovic dived to his left to deny Miguel Borja and earn Bert van Marwijk's men a morale-boosting result against the 13th-ranked nation in the world, who started the likes of James Rodriguez and Radamel Falcao.
Tomi Juric and Massimo Luongo, two of five changes to the team that was beaten by Norway, went closest to an Australian winner either side of half-time.
But the best opportunities came at the other end late in proceedings as La Tricolor twice hit the post either side of Vukovic's penalty save.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CLOSE: Andres Uribe rises and beats Jones to a cross, but his glancing header bounces wide.
- CHANCE: Mat Leckie leaps well at the near post and makes a good connection, only to see his header drift over the far corner.
- CLOSE: Juric goes agonisingly close on the edge of half-time, turning Cristian Zapata and firing marginally wide of the far post.
- SHOT: Just a few minutes gone in the second half and Andrew Nabbout unleashes a bullet off his left that fades wide of the upright.
- SHOT: Miguel Borja sees an acrobatic bicycle kick whistle over the bar, before he's ruled
- SAVE: Vukovic gets his positioning spot on to beat away a James header.
- CHANCE: Borja inexplicably heads around the post from Johan Mojica's enticing cross.
- CHANCE: Glorious quick feet from Massimo Luongo as he jinks past three defenders before poking a finish straight at David Ospina.
- POST: The woodwork comes to Australia's rescue, keeping out Borja's header.
- PENALTY SAVE! Incredible late drama as Vukovic brings down Borja in the area, before denying the same man from the resultant spot-kick.
- POST: Borja again tests the woodwork from a free-kick.
Aussies Abroad: Taggart strikes again for Suwon Bluewings
Adam Taggart has continued his K-League hot-streak with an equaliser for Suwon Bluewings in Sunday’s 1-1 draw with leaders Jeonbuk Motors. Taggart – who played his first match for Australia in close to five years in the Caltex Socceroos 1-0 loss to Korea Republic earlier this
Copa America 2020 a 'phenomenal opportunity' for Caltex Socceroos: Ryan
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Mathew Ryan believes the Caltex Socceroos’ participation in the Copa America 2020 is a ‘phenomenal’ opportunity for Australian football. Australia are heading to the 47th edition of the showpiece South American tournament, to held in Argentina and C
Mooy learns who he'll face in the Championship's opening round
Caltex Socceroos star Aaron Mooy has learned who he’ll face on the opening day of the EFL Championship 2019/20 season with Huddersfield Town. The Terriers – relegated from the Premier League last campaign after two years in the top flight - will host Derby County at The John S