Caltex Socceroos claim courageous draw against Colombia in London
Danny Vukovic saved an 86th-minute penalty to secure the Caltex Socceroos a battling 0-0 draw against a strong Colombia in London on Wednesday morning (AEDT).
Debutant goalkeeper Vukovic dived to his left to deny Miguel Borja and earn Bert van Marwijk's men a morale-boosting result against the 13th-ranked nation in the world, who started the likes of James Rodriguez and Radamel Falcao.
Tomi Juric and Massimo Luongo, two of five changes to the team that was beaten by Norway, went closest to an Australian winner either side of half-time.
But the best opportunities came at the other end late in proceedings as La Tricolor twice hit the post either side of Vukovic's penalty save.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CLOSE: Andres Uribe rises and beats Jones to a cross, but his glancing header bounces wide.
- CHANCE: Mat Leckie leaps well at the near post and makes a good connection, only to see his header drift over the far corner.
- CLOSE: Juric goes agonisingly close on the edge of half-time, turning Cristian Zapata and firing marginally wide of the far post.
- SHOT: Just a few minutes gone in the second half and Andrew Nabbout unleashes a bullet off his left that fades wide of the upright.
- SHOT: Miguel Borja sees an acrobatic bicycle kick whistle over the bar, before he's ruled
- SAVE: Vukovic gets his positioning spot on to beat away a James header.
- CHANCE: Borja inexplicably heads around the post from Johan Mojica's enticing cross.
- CHANCE: Glorious quick feet from Massimo Luongo as he jinks past three defenders before poking a finish straight at David Ospina.
- POST: The woodwork comes to Australia's rescue, keeping out Borja's header.
- PENALTY SAVE! Incredible late drama as Vukovic brings down Borja in the area, before denying the same man from the resultant spot-kick.
- POST: Borja again tests the woodwork from a free-kick.
Aussies Abroad: Hibs romp home and a defeat in England
There were Aussies aplenty in action around the world last night, with mixed results here and clean sheets there. Here's our wrap of all the overnight action! MORE AUSSIES ABROAD: Rogic and Vukovic win in Europe MORE AUSSIES ABROAD: Degenek denies Napoli England: a di
Harry Kewell inducted into Sport Australia Hall of Fame
With 52,000 fans watching on in Stuttgart and millions on TV sets at home, a cool-headed Harry Kewell latched onto a deep cross before swiping it into the net to send the Socceroos into the knock-out stage of a World Cup for the first time. This moment of brilliance against Cr
'I've taken my game to the next level': Connor Chapman on a career-changing time in Korea
Would your 22-year-old self be brave enough to leave home and start a new life in Korea Republic? That’s exactly the path Connor Chapman took in a quest to take his game to the next level. And almost two years on his life-changing move, the Aussie boy is taking one of Asia’
When are your Caltex Socceroos in action this weekend?
Mathew Leckie could win his first minutes of the season this weekend after shaking off an injury problem to get back out on the track for Hertha Berlin. Meanwhile, there's another big Premier League test in store for Mathew Ryan, while fierce rivalries are set to play out acro