Caltex Socceroos claim courageous draw against Colombia in London
Danny Vukovic saved an 86th-minute penalty to secure the Caltex Socceroos a battling 0-0 draw against a strong Colombia in London on Wednesday morning (AEDT).
Debutant goalkeeper Vukovic dived to his left to deny Miguel Borja and earn Bert van Marwijk's men a morale-boosting result against the 13th-ranked nation in the world, who started the likes of James Rodriguez and Radamel Falcao.
Tomi Juric and Massimo Luongo, two of five changes to the team that was beaten by Norway, went closest to an Australian winner either side of half-time.
But the best opportunities came at the other end late in proceedings as La Tricolor twice hit the post either side of Vukovic's penalty save.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CLOSE: Andres Uribe rises and beats Jones to a cross, but his glancing header bounces wide.
- CHANCE: Mat Leckie leaps well at the near post and makes a good connection, only to see his header drift over the far corner.
- CLOSE: Juric goes agonisingly close on the edge of half-time, turning Cristian Zapata and firing marginally wide of the far post.
- SHOT: Just a few minutes gone in the second half and Andrew Nabbout unleashes a bullet off his left that fades wide of the upright.
- SHOT: Miguel Borja sees an acrobatic bicycle kick whistle over the bar, before he's ruled
- SAVE: Vukovic gets his positioning spot on to beat away a James header.
- CHANCE: Borja inexplicably heads around the post from Johan Mojica's enticing cross.
- CHANCE: Glorious quick feet from Massimo Luongo as he jinks past three defenders before poking a finish straight at David Ospina.
- POST: The woodwork comes to Australia's rescue, keeping out Borja's header.
- PENALTY SAVE! Incredible late drama as Vukovic brings down Borja in the area, before denying the same man from the resultant spot-kick.
- POST: Borja again tests the woodwork from a free-kick.
Match preview: Socceroos v Uzbekistan
Having finished the group stage on a strong note, the Socceroos head into their AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019™ Round of 16 clash against Uzbekistan in a do-or-die encounter. Australia bounced back from their opening fixture to score six goals in two games, putting three goals past Pa
LIVE BLOG: Preparations ramp up ahead of Uzbekistan clash
Star winger Mathew Leckie is among the players involved in training as the Socceroos continue preparations for their do-or-die date with Uzbekistan at AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019™. Trent Sainsbury has spoken in the lead-up to the Round of 16 encounter and said team-mate Leckie was
Sainsbury gains fresh perspective from stint on the sideline
Socceroos defender Trent Sainsbury said the one-match suspension he served during Australia’s 3-2 win against Syria in the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019™ gave him a different perspective on the game. Sainsbury was forced to sit out the Socceroos’ final Group B fixture after accruing
How to watch the Socceroos v Uzbekistan in Round of 16
With the group stages well and truly complete, and teams knowing their Round of 16 fate, the Socceroos enter the pointy end of the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019™ with a battle against Uzbekistan on Tuesday morning (1am AEDT). Graham Arnold’s men have showcased a free-flowing brand o