Caltex Socceroos claim courageous draw against Colombia in London
Danny Vukovic saved an 86th-minute penalty to secure the Caltex Socceroos a battling 0-0 draw against a strong Colombia in London on Wednesday morning (AEDT).
Debutant goalkeeper Vukovic dived to his left to deny Miguel Borja and earn Bert van Marwijk's men a morale-boosting result against the 13th-ranked nation in the world, who started the likes of James Rodriguez and Radamel Falcao.
Tomi Juric and Massimo Luongo, two of five changes to the team that was beaten by Norway, went closest to an Australian winner either side of half-time.
But the best opportunities came at the other end late in proceedings as La Tricolor twice hit the post either side of Vukovic's penalty save.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CLOSE: Andres Uribe rises and beats Jones to a cross, but his glancing header bounces wide.
- CHANCE: Mat Leckie leaps well at the near post and makes a good connection, only to see his header drift over the far corner.
- CLOSE: Juric goes agonisingly close on the edge of half-time, turning Cristian Zapata and firing marginally wide of the far post.
- SHOT: Just a few minutes gone in the second half and Andrew Nabbout unleashes a bullet off his left that fades wide of the upright.
- SHOT: Miguel Borja sees an acrobatic bicycle kick whistle over the bar, before he's ruled
- SAVE: Vukovic gets his positioning spot on to beat away a James header.
- CHANCE: Borja inexplicably heads around the post from Johan Mojica's enticing cross.
- CHANCE: Glorious quick feet from Massimo Luongo as he jinks past three defenders before poking a finish straight at David Ospina.
- POST: The woodwork comes to Australia's rescue, keeping out Borja's header.
- PENALTY SAVE! Incredible late drama as Vukovic brings down Borja in the area, before denying the same man from the resultant spot-kick.
- POST: Borja again tests the woodwork from a free-kick.
Aussies Abroad weekend preview: Jones targets silverware in KNVB Cup showdown
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Brad Jones is 90 minutes away from adding another major trophy to his growing collection of silverware in the Netherlands. His nerves will be shared by his compatriots in the Championship, where two international team-mates are set to go head-to-hea
55 days to go: Dave Harding's FIFA World Cup story
There are fewer than two months until the 2018 FIFA World Cup and, as part of the run-up to Russia, we are profiling every Australian player who's been to the tournament. Today in our countdown is Dave Harding, a midfielder who was part of the history-making 1974 squad. REA
Ryan’s classy gesture for young Brighton fan
Mat Ryan’s generosity knows no bounds with the Caltex Socceroos gloveman making the day of a young Brighton and Hove Albion fan following the clash with Tottenham on Wednesday (AEST). The Aussie shot-stopper spotted a young Seagulls fan in the stands and presented him with his
Aussies Abroad: captain Sainsbury in big clash in Switzerland
Caltex Socceroos defender Trent Sainsbury continues to rack up some crucial game time ahead of the FIFA World Cup, playing another full game for Grasshopper Zurich in Switzerland. Sainsbury, who was captain for the match, was excellent for his side but was unable to help them