Burns to show he can be Qantas Socceroos regular
New Perth Glory recruit Jacob Burns is determined to show Hyundai A-League players they still can be Qantas Socceroos regulars when he returns to Australia next season.
DUBAI, June 2 AAP - New Perth Glory recruit Jacob Burns is determined to show Hyundai A-League players they still can be Qantas Socceroos regulars when he returns to Australia next season.
The 31-year-old midfielder decided recently he would come home after 10 years in Europe which included stints in England, Poland and most recently Romania.
Burns' decision followed that of Jason Culina's to join Gold Coast, sparking suggestions both players could be jeopardising their national team hopes with coach Pim Verbeek seemingly preferring players to be based overseas.
But Burns said he had spoken to Verbeek before making the decision and was certain he was not putting his international career at risk.
"I'm not coming back and surrendering a position in any way," said Burns at the Qantas Socceroos camp in Dubai ahead of Saturday's World Cup qualifier against Qatar.
"If anything, I want to come back and put the Hyundai A-League boys on the map.
"Making the World Cup its still a definite goal and a definite dream and I'll be pushing to stake my claim."
"I think the telling factor is going to be is if you're fit and you're in form."
While Burns has not made an appearance for Australia since last September's win over Uzbekistan, he has earned selection in almost all of Verbeek's recent squads as backup for Vince Grella, Carl Valeri and Culina.
"I think I've been in the squad for the last year-and-a-half and Pim knows what I'm capable of," he said.
"When needed, I've been there and done the job."
Burns admitted it was hard to leave his Romanian club Unirea Urzicini, particularly as they were likely to qualify for next season's European Champions League.
"It is a little bitter-sweet but what can you do," Burns said.
"It's not something I thought of overnight, I tossed around for quite some time over it.
"I've enjoyed every minute over there but I just felt like the time was right to get back at my age and put something back into the game."
How to watch Korea Republic v Caltex Socceroos
On Friday, 7 June in Busan, Graham Arnold’s Caltex Socceroos will take on Korea Republic in an international friendly. With a core group of experienced Australia i...nternationals rested ahead of a busy FIFA World Cup qualifying schedule, the match serves as a chance for Arnold t
The 11 Hyundai A-League players in the Caltex Socceroos squad
Sydney FC’s Grand Final hero, a 1.98 metre defender from Stoke City and a revitalised Bundesliga attacker are among six uncapped players to be included in Graham Arnold’s latest Caltex Socceroos squad. Three of those players – Sydney FC pair Andrew Redmayne and Brandon O'Neil
Arnold: 'This is an opportunity to create some depth'
Caltex Socceroos boss Graham Arnold fronted the media on Thursday afternoon to announce his squad to take on Korea Republic in next month's international friendly. Here's what Arnold said on creating opportunities for depth, resting his 'core group' of experienced players, and
Graham Arnold confirms Caltex Socceroos squad to face Korea Republic on June 7
Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Graham Arnold today announced six potential debutants in his squad for the upcoming friendly international against Korea Republic. Sydney FC championship winning duo Andrew Redmayne and Brandon O’Neill are rewarded for their successful Hyundai A-Lea