Aussies Abroad: Degenek’s Red Star march on, Ryan voted star man as Brighton fall to Chelsea

Milos Degenek’s fairytale season continues at Red Star Belgrade, while Mat Ryan was voted Brighton fans' man of the match in the 2-0 loss against Chelsea.

Aaron Mooy made his first Brighton & Hove Albion start last week and the Caltex Socceroos playmaker was called upon again by head coach Graham Potter for the contest against Frank Lampard’s Blues.

The home side rained in 17 shots in a scoreless first half at Stamford Bridge but none of those efforts were able to beat Ryan in the Seagulls goal.

Mason Mount came closest when his free-kick cannoned back off the post and Ryan denied Pedro and Tammy Abraham three times each.

Lampard’s side finally made the breakthrough when Adam Webster hauled down Mount following an error inside his own penalty box and Jorginho converted from the spot on 50 minutes.

Willian’s deflected effort sealed the game as Chelsea rise to sixth, while Brighton slip to 16th in the Premier League ladder.

"We gave a goal away cheaply and then grew into the game but then gave a goal that killed the game," said Potter. 

"We are disappointed but credit to the opposition. Chelsea were good and we could not sustain any pressure.”

FIXTURES: Match schedule confirmed for Australia at 2020 AFC U-23 Championship
RYAN PAYS FAN VISIT: Ryan's classy act for young fan and Maty the dog

Eight wins out of nine for Degenek and Red Star

Milos Degenek and Red Star Belgrade reclaimed their single-point lead over city rivals Partizan at the top of the Serbian Super Liga.

Crvena Zvedza saw off FK Macva Sabac 3-1 at Red Star Stadium to make it eight wins from nine league games this campaign.

Portuguese forward Tomane got the ball rolling on eight minutes and Comoros international El Fardou Ben doubled the lead on 32 minutes.

Former Premier League star with Swansea City, Jose Cañas, extended the advantage five minutes later for 3-0 at half-time.

With the points already secured, a late goal from Marko Mijailovic spoiled Degenek’s clean sheet against the bottom of the table side.

Red Star are back in UEFA Champions League action on Wednesday against Greek outfit Olympiakos, following a 3-0 opening round defeat against German heavyweights Bayern Munich.

Irvine’s Tigers denied by late strike

Back in England, Jackson Irvine’s Hull City were twice pegged back by mid-table Championship rivals Cardiff City in a 2-2 draw.

Polish playmaker Kamil Grosicki fired the Tigers in front on the stroke of half-time but Robert Glatzel equalised 10 minutes after the restart.

Jordy de Wijs thought he had won it for Hull when he struck on 89 minutes but Danny Ward pulled the Bluebirds level again in stoppage time.

"We've matched a team that came down from the Premier League for most of the game,” said Hull head coach Grant McCann.

"They'll be right up there this season but we've shown we can compete with teams like Cardiff. That is a huge step in the right direction."

Also in the Championship, Massimo Luongo was called upon as a first-half sub as Sheffield Wednesday thumped Middlesborough 4-1.

The Owls were two goals up inside six minutes when Adam Clayton put through his own net and Dominic Iorfa pounced moments later. 

Patrick McNair responded for Boro but further strikes from Adam Reach and Steven Fletcher gave Wednesday a comfortable lead.

Sam Hutchinson was forced off for the visitors on 41 minutes, with Luongo sent on by coach Gary Monk to see out the victory at the Riverside Stadium.

Monk was impressed with the professional second-half display that saw his side rise to seventh place in the Championship table.

"Because it's such a lead you know what's going to happen, we knew they would come out and fight and make it difficult,” he said.

"I thought overall we controlled that fightback and to score four goals away from home is very pleasing."

In League One, Harry Souttar’s Fleetwood Town climbed to third place following a 3-0 win at Shrewsbury Town.

An own goal from Callum Lang and further strikes from Josh Morris and Patrick Madden made it six wins from 10 for the Fishermen.

Meanwhile, Mark Milligan and Southend United fell to a 1-0 defeat with ten man against Accrington Stanley at Roots Hall.

Colby Bishop’s 52nd-minute effort proved decisive and Nathan Ralph’s red card of 73 minutes sealed the Shrimpers’ fate.

AUSSIES ABROAD: Goodwin’s Al-Wehda make it three wins on the spin

Tough away days for Hrustic, Jeggo

Ajdin Hrustic’s FC Groningen were eventually broken down by Dutch Eredivisie leaders Ajax Amsterdam in a 2-0 defeat.

Hrustic’s 14th-place side kept the scores locked at 0-0 until Django Warmerdam’s red card on 73 minutes opened up the game at the John Cruijff Arena.

Lisandro Martinez and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar punished the visitors within six minutes of the dismissal to clinch victory for the 34 time champions of the Netherlands.

James Jeggo started for Austria Vienna in their 4-1 reverse against Red Bull Salzburg in the Austrian Bundesliga.

The match started on the right foot for the Violets when Albert Vallci netted a third-minute own goal but the home side went in front before half time.

Goals from Majeed Ashimeru and Sekou Koita flipped the game, and second-half efforts from Masaya Okugawa and Koita again rounded off a big victory at Red Bull Arena.

Aziz Behich was an unused substitute as his İstanbul Başakşehir side romped to a 5-0 triumph against Rizespor in Turkey.

A pair from Danijel Aleksic and goals from Fredrik Gulbrandsen, Enzo Crivelli and Irfan Kahveci did the damage.

Tom Rogic also sat out Celtic’s game on the bench, with the Scottish champions were held to a 1-1 draw at Hibernian.

Ryan Christie pulled the game back level on 24 minutes after Kristoffer Ajer’s eighth minute own goal put the Edinburgh side ahead.

In Korea Republic, Adam Taggart remained among the substitutes as Suwon Bluewings went down 2-0 at Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors.

Both teams finished with ten men but Lee Seung-Gi’s 12th-minute goal took the game away from Suwon, and Moon Seon-min added a second in stoppage time.

In Japan, Mitch Langerak’s Nagoya Grampus Eight came from behind to secure a share of the points with Sanfrecce Hiroshima. 

Naomi Maeda’s 44th-minute goal cancelled out Yuki Nogami’s opener for the home side at the Hiroshima Big Arch.