Arzani fires first goal as Caltex Socceroos top Hungary
Youngster Daniel Arzani has grabbed his first senior international goal as the Caltex Socceroos earned a 2-1 win over against Hungary in Budapest in their final friendly before the FIFA World Cup™.
With the first test in Group C against France in Kazan now less than a week away, Australia looked to be heading for a draw until Arzani’s strike, before the two sides exchanged late own goals.
WATCH DANIEL ARZANI'S GOAL IN THE VIDEO AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE
Arzani’s introduction and impact will please coach Bert van Marwijk and Aussie fans, with the Melbourne City attacker coming off the bench in the 73rd minute and scoring inside two minutes when he unleashed a shot from outside the box which dipped in front of goalkeeper Denes Dibusz.
It then looked as if the game was headed for a draw when central defender Trent Sainsbury was involved in an unfortunate late mix up with goalkeeper Brad Jones to score an 88th minute own goal.
But it was then another own goal, this time by Hungary captain Tamas Kadar, which capped off a near three-week training block with their second win in as many tune up games following last week’s win over the Czech Republic.
Arzani was also involved in the eventual winner, playing a through ball in for fellow substitute Jackson Irvine who fizzed a ball across goal which saw Kadar turn the ball into his own net in the 92nd minute.
The Caltex Socceroos will now travel to Kazan for their final days of training before facing France at 8pm AEST on Saturday 16 June.
CALTEX SOCCEROOS TEAM NEWS
Starting XI: Mathew Ryan; Josh Risdon, Trent Sainsbury, Mark Milligan, Aziz Behich; Aaron Mooy, Massimo Luongo; Mathew Leckie, Tom Rogic, Robbie Kruse; Andrew Nabbout
Substitutes: Brad Jones on for Ryan (45’), Mile Jedinak on for Luongo (45’), Tomi Juric on for Nabbout (45’), Jackson Irvine on for Rogic (63’), Daniel Arzani on for Kruse (73’), Tim Cahill on for Juric (80’)
STORY OF THE GAME
- 17’ OFFSIDE — A moment of good combination down the right between Leckie and Risdon allowed the Caltex Socceroos to break into the front third before switching out to the left. Behich’s delivery found Kruse in the box who looped his shot onto the crossbar, only for the offside flag to be raised.
- 20’ CHANCE — Again an interchange from Leckie and Risdon allowed a crossing opportunity for Australia, this time from the right. And again Kruse was the man on the end of it, firing over the bar with a first time shot with time in the box.
- 22’ CHANCE — Ryan was forced into his first intervention of the match after a Hungary long throw caused flutters in the box and Adam Szalai used his physical presence before failing to divert Laszlo Kleinheisler’s shot on target.
- 30’ SAVE — Nerves started to creep into van Marwijk’s side after a series of mistakes. That culminated in Ryan being forced into a last ditch save, and Luongo a goal line clearance after Milligan turned the ball over while building up from the back.
- 37’ POST — A simple long ball from the back from Tamas Kadar nearly led to the spectacular when Kleinheisler picked up the second ball and unleashed a dipping, first time volley from distance that skimmed off the top of the crossbar.
- 45+1’ CHANCE — Australia were forced to clear off the line again, this time Risdon from a corner after Kadar wriggled in front of Milligan and headed towards the far corner of the goal.
- 60’ CHANCE — Hungary continued their good build up play in the second half and went around the outside of Australia’s block to get a cross in from the right. Szalai’s header, from in front of the near post, flew into the side netting.
- 68’ SAVE — Irvine came off the bench and forced a save within minutes of being introduced after firing a Risdon cutback on target.
- 74’ GOAL! — Arzani, just a minute after being introduced, grabbed his first Caltex Socceroos goal after picking up the ball outside the box and firing a vicious, dipping drive that forced a goalkeeping error.
- 88’ OWN GOAL — With just minutes remaining until the Caltex Socceroos closed out a win, a miscommunication between Sainsbury and Jones saw the central defender head the ball into his own net after a cross from the right.
- 92’ OWN GOAL — This time it’s Hungary’s turn to find the back of their own net, with skipper Kadar diverting Irvine’s cross over the line.
Van Marwijk pleased by winning response to frank half-time feedback
Caltex Socceroos boss Bert van Marwijk took encouragement from his side's reaction to an honest half-time assessment that ultimately led to a second successive victory. Daniel Arzani netted his maiden international goal before Tamas Kalas put through his own net in stoppage ti
Sparkling Arzani cameo prompts 'million dollar question'
Daniel Arzani has a special knack for making big things happen in small spaces of time. From virtual unknown to Hyundai A-League sensation in a matter of weeks, he's now on the verge of turning a first Caltex Socceroos camp into a dream FIFA World Cup™ debut. And it could p
The two changes that sparked Caltex Socceroos' friendly win
Another week of training is gone, and another friendly win has been registered before the Caltex Socceroos travel to Russia for the FIFA World Cup™. The test of Hungary has been passed — a 2-1 win thanks to a Daniel Arzani debut goal and two own goals exchanged late in the mat
Arzani fires first goal as Caltex Socceroos top Hungary
Youngster Daniel Arzani has grabbed his first senior international goal as the Caltex Socceroos earned a 2-1 win over against Hungary in Budapest in their final friendly before the FIFA World Cup™. With the first test in Group C against France in Kazan now less than a week awa
Ultimate Guide to Caltex Socceroos v Hungary friendly
The Caltex Socceroos take on Hungary on Sunday morning (AEST) in their final chance to fine-tune their game before the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ gets underway. Bert van Marwijk’s final 23-man squad have had another strong week of preparation in Antalya, Turkey and will relish one m
Poll results: The two changes Caltex Socceroos fans want for Hungary XI
The Caltex Socceroos take on Hungary on Sunday morning in the side's final friendly before the FIFA World Cup™. Before the match, which gets underway at 1.30am AEST on Sunday, live on Fox Sports and Network Ten, we opened up the opportunity for fans to vote for who they think
'Five needs to fit into three': Van Marwijk's biggest selection headaches
Bert van Marwijk can explore his full attacking arsenal for the first time this weekend when Australia visit Hungary in a pre-FIFA World Cup™ friendly. The Caltex Socceroos boss has decisions to make after unexpectedly ushering Jamie Maclaren into his final 23-man squad for th
Poll: Vote for your Caltex Socceroos XI to face Hungary
We're just four days away from the Caltex Socceroos once again taking the field, this time for their final friendly before the FIFA World Cup™. Hungary are the next opponents before the main event in Russia begins, with the action getting underway at 1.30am AEST on Sunday, liv
Everything you need to know about Hungary
The Caltex Socceroos have one final hitout before they head to Russia for the 2018 FIFA World Cup™. European outfit Hungary provide the opposition for Bert van Marwijk’s troops, who will want to put on another excellent performance with their FIFA World Cup™ opener against Fra
Ultimate Guide: Caltex Socceroos v Czech Republic and Hungary
The Caltex Socceroos will start to ramp up their preparations for the 2018 FIFA World Cup with a couple of warm-up matches before heading to Russia. It all starts on Friday night (AEST) with a clash against the Czech Republic in Austria, followed by a meeting with Hungary in t
Hungary name squad ahead of Caltex Socceroos friendly
Hungary, the Caltex Socceroos’ final warm-up opponents before the FIFA World Cup begins, have named their provisional squad for next month’s friendly in Budapest. The squad of 22 players doesn’t yet contain anyone from the Hungarian league, with more names to be added before t
What's next for the Caltex Socceroos?
With the first two matches of the Bert van Marwijk era now completed, the Caltex Socceroos will next reassemble in May as they ramp up preparations for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia. From May 19, van Marwijk’s preliminary squad for Russia will arrive in the coastal city of