WATCH: Australia qualify for Qatar after Redmayne shootout heroics

The Socceroos have done it. 

Australia have qualified for a fifth-consecutive World Cup after Andrew Redmayne’s penalty shoot-out heroics sealed victory over Peru in Qatar. 

Watch the highlights in the player above! 

After 1,008 days of World Cup qualifying and in the Socceroos' centenary year, Australia have qualified for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™.

Qualified Graphic World Cup 2022 Qatar Give It 100

It was a tense affair that offered little in the space of clear-cut opportunities at the Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium in Doha. 

After a 0-0 result, it required a penalty shoot-out to split the two sides and despite Martin Boyle missing the first penalty, Redmayne stood up to seal the Socceroos' place in Group D alongside France, Denmark, and Tunisia at this year’s FIFA World Cup.

It was a frenetic start to the match with a couple of early warning shots from both sides. 

For the Socceroos, Mitch Duke rifled a long-range drive wide of the near post after receiving a fortuitous bounce from a Baily Wright diagonal pass while Peru surged down the right side and whipped in a cross to Gianluca Lapadula, who headed high and wide.

Australia showed great energy in the opening ten minutes by doubling up on Peru's players when out of possession and closing down the South Americans quickly. 

However, just a minute later, that energy was perceived in a different way by the referee as Nathaniel Atkinson received the first yellow card of the match for holding back Christian Cueva.

Moments later, Martin Boyle showed a fantastic piece of individual brilliance by skipping past two Peruvian defenders and firing in a cross across the six-yard box which narrowly avoided Duke’s head. 

Peru worked themselves into the game and threatened more regularly as the first half drew to a close but the Socceroos were able to hold their own and see away any attack from those in red to keep the score level. 

Peru started the second half on the front foot with Australia called into action at two consecutive corners but the Socceroos continued to create more opportunities than their counterparts. 

In the 52nd minute, the ball dropped to Aaron Mooy near the top of the box but he did not connect well and it sliced out for a goal kick.

With 30 minutes remaining, Peru replaced Edison Flores with André Carrillo as they looked to find their gear. Australia did well to suffocate them when they try to go forward, particularly through the hard running and tackling of both Mooy and Jackson Irvine.

Moments later, Australia made their own substitution as Graham Arnold replaced Duke with Awer Mabil. Mathew Leckie then retook his place up front, just as he did in the UAE game.

Both sides looked tired as the second half drew to a close with no clear-cut opportunities fashioned. 

With ten minutes remaining, Boyle zipped onto a rare through-ball but was quickly bundled over by Peru's defenders. Ajdin Hrustic then stepped up for the subsequent free-kick but he was not able to get the dip or power required from such a distance.

Shortly after, the Socceroos fashioned one of their best opportunities of the entire match. Aziz Behich found himself in unfamiliar territory as he cut in from the left and drove towards the box, only to flash his curling shot just wide of the post. 

Behich fires just wide after cutting in from the left.

Australia piled on the pressure late in the second half as Hrustic found himself arriving unmarked on the edge of the box but he could not beat the keeper with his tame attempt at goal.

Hrustic drives a shot towards goal after arriving on the edge of the area unmarked.

With minutes remaining in the first half, Arnold replaced Leckie with Jamie Maclaren as he opted for an out-and-out striker to close out the match. 

There was a late shout for a penalty as Irvine was bundled over in the box but it was waved away by VAR and the match ended 0-0 in regular time. 

The Socceroos finished the second half with more momentum than they did at the end of the first and created more opportunities over the 90 minutes while Peru looked short of ideas as they struggled to break down Australia's defence.

To start the first period of extra time, Arnold replaced the cautioned Atkinson with Fran Karacic at right-back. 

Clear-cut openings were few and far between but Peru had their first shot on target through Flores, who rifles a shot at goal from the edge of the box but it was straight at Mat Ryan.

The second half of extra time started with a flurry of chances for Peru, including their best opportunity of the game which came through Flores as he rose highest to header a shot into the post after outmuscling Behich at the back post. 

With minutes remaining and a penalty shoot-out in mind, Arnold replaced Behich with Craig Goodwin and Ryan with Redmayne in goal. 

The match finished 0-0 and a penalty shoot-out was needed to split the two sides and decide who would enter Group D at the World Cup finals in Qatar.

Boyle stepped up to take the first penalty and it was parried away by Pedro Gallese. 

Gianluca Lapadula then put Peru in front in the shoot-out as he blasted the ball past Redmayne. 

Mooy then smashed the ball into the top corner to level the scores in the shoot-out but Peru restored their lead through Alexander Callens. 

Goodwin subsequently thumped the ball into the roof of the net to make it 2-2. Luis Advincula's effort then thundered off the post to make it one missed penalty each. 

Hrustic then stepped up to give Australia the lead 3-2 as he wrong-footed the keeper with a smart finish to the right but Peru restored parity through Renato Tapia.

Maclaren sent Gallese the wrong way and slotted the ball into the bottom left corner while Flores scored his penalty to set up a showdown between Alex Valera and Redmayne. 

And Redmayne, the substitute goalkeeper in just his third appearance from his country, was the saviour. 

The players and Arnold burst into tears and Australia are through to a fifth-consecutive World Cup.