The stats behind the Caltex Socceroos' fantastic win over Honduras
Check out the key stats behind Australia's 3-1 win over Honduras that confirmed the Caltex Socceroos' fourth consecutive World Cup on Wednesday night.
- The Socceroos booked their ticket to the 2018 FIFA World Cup after a 22-game qualification run where they scored 51 goals and conceded just 22
- Australia earned just their second win by a margin of two or more goals in 2017, and their first since a 2-0 win against UAE in March.
- Honduras scored a goal for a third consecutive away fixture but it wasn’t enough; they’ve now won only one of their last nine games away from home (D3, L5).
- The Socceroos won 26 fouls on the night, their most in any single game this World Cup Qualifying campaign; it has been the third consecutive game that they’ve won 20+ fouls after winning fewer than 20 in each of their 19 prior games.
- Mile Jedinak and Trent Sainsbury each made five interceptions, marking the fifth and third time respectively they’ve done so this qualification campaign; no other Australian has done so more than once.