The stats behind the Caltex Socceroos' fantastic win over Honduras
Check out the key stats behind Australia's 3-1 win over Honduras that confirmed the Caltex Socceroos' fourth consecutive World Cup on Wednesday night.
- The Socceroos booked their ticket to the 2018 FIFA World Cup after a 22-game qualification run where they scored 51 goals and conceded just 22
- Australia earned just their second win by a margin of two or more goals in 2017, and their first since a 2-0 win against UAE in March.
- Honduras scored a goal for a third consecutive away fixture but it wasn’t enough; they’ve now won only one of their last nine games away from home (D3, L5).
- The Socceroos won 26 fouls on the night, their most in any single game this World Cup Qualifying campaign; it has been the third consecutive game that they’ve won 20+ fouls after winning fewer than 20 in each of their 19 prior games.
- Mile Jedinak and Trent Sainsbury each made five interceptions, marking the fifth and third time respectively they’ve done so this qualification campaign; no other Australian has done so more than once.
Degenek not taking his foot off the gas
Twelve months ago, Caltex Socceroos defender Milos Degenek was playing in Japan — now, he’s tearing up Serbia’s SuperLiga, having been named in the league’s best eleven for the first half of the season. It’s a credit to Degenek, 24, who signed with Red Star Belgrade in July
Degenek named in Serbian Superliga's best XI
Caltex Socceroos defender Milos Degenek has been named in the Serbian Superliga’s best eleven players of the first half of the season after his performances for Red Star Belgrade. AUSSIES ABROAD: Sainsbury denies former club Inter in first UCL start READ MORE: Where you can w
FFA to conduct additional injury assessment with Aaron Mooy
Football Federation Australia (FFA) acknowledges Huddersfield Town’s statement regarding Aaron Mooy released on Thursday morning (AEDT). Due to the significance of the AFC Asian Cup to the Caltex Socceroos, FFA will proceed with a plan to deploy its High Performance Coordina
Aussies Abroad: Rogic and Vukovic progress to Europa League Round of 32
The Europa League Round of 32 will have an Aussie flavour after Tom Rogic and Danny Vukovic both sealed their progression to the knockout stage of Europe’s second-tier competition. Rogic played 90 minutes as Celtic did it the hard way, their 2-1 loss at the hands of FC Salzbur