The stats behind the Caltex Socceroos' fantastic win over Honduras
Check out the key stats behind Australia's 3-1 win over Honduras that confirmed the Caltex Socceroos' fourth consecutive World Cup on Wednesday night.
- The Socceroos booked their ticket to the 2018 FIFA World Cup after a 22-game qualification run where they scored 51 goals and conceded just 22
- Australia earned just their second win by a margin of two or more goals in 2017, and their first since a 2-0 win against UAE in March.
- Honduras scored a goal for a third consecutive away fixture but it wasn’t enough; they’ve now won only one of their last nine games away from home (D3, L5).
- The Socceroos won 26 fouls on the night, their most in any single game this World Cup Qualifying campaign; it has been the third consecutive game that they’ve won 20+ fouls after winning fewer than 20 in each of their 19 prior games.
- Mile Jedinak and Trent Sainsbury each made five interceptions, marking the fifth and third time respectively they’ve done so this qualification campaign; no other Australian has done so more than once.
Refreshed Ryan ready for big year with club and country
Mat Ryan says an off-season trip home to Australia with family and friends has him primed for a big year ahead for Brighton and the Caltex Socceroos. The 27-year-old shot-stopper has rarely had an off-season break in recent years as he mixes Premier League football with his co
‘That sums up their passion’: Caltex Socceroos skipper witnesses awesome Matildas moment
Socceroos captain Mark Milligan and coach Graham Arnold were among the ecstatic Australian support watching the Matildas’ stunning comeback victory over Brazil on Friday morning (AEST). The Matildas recorded one of the most remarkable results in FIFA Women’s World Cup history
Caltex Socceroos to participate in Copa America 2020
Football Federation Australia (FFA) today confirmed it had accepted an invitation from the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) for the Caltex Socceroos to participate in the Copa America next year. FFA Chairman Chris Nikou said this was a huge opportunity for Aust
Ryan aiming to break 39-year Brighton curse on Premier League opening weekend
Caltex Socceroos custodian Mathew Ryan has learned who he’ll face in the Brighton and Hove Albion goal on the opening weekend of the Premier League 2019/20 season in August. A trip to Vicarage Road to face 2019 FA Cup Finalists Watford on August 10 is the first league assignme