Ryan’s penalty heroics save Brighton in the Premier League

Caltex Socceroos keeper Mat Ryan has made a stunning penalty save in the last minute to earn Brighton and Hove Albion a crucial draw in the Premier League at Stoke City overnight.

With scores locked at 1-1 heading towards the final whistle, the referee awarded Stoke a spot-kick when Jese Rodriguez was pushed in the area by Dale Stephens.

But Ryan saved the away side from slumping to a defeat, flinging himself to his right to keep out Charlie Adam’s powerfully struck penalty.

Stoke almost won it from the resulting corner but substitute Anthony Knockaert came to Brighton's rescue by clearing Mame Biram Diouf's header off the line.

"It looked like a pretty soft penalty - but I was fortunate to pick the right way and keep it out - and straight after that Lewis Dunk making that tackle and then Anthony Knockaert blocking on the line - it just shows how much character there is in this team," Ryan told reporters.

"It's vital to take points off teams around us in the league and we did that today, but we have to be more ruthless.

"We're on a decent run at the moment, with two home games next up, so hopefully we can get two home wins."

Brighton had taken a first-half lead when Colombian Jose Izquierdo – who could come up against the Caltex Socceroos next month finished off a superb team move.

But Stoke responded after the break with Xherdan Shaqiri’s composed finish into the bottom-left corner to restore parity.

Mat Ryan acknowledges the fans at the bet365 Stadium.
Mat Ryan acknowledges the fans at the bet365 Stadium.

Both sides had opportunities to win it at the death but Ryan’s brilliance ensured Brighton left the bet365 Stadium with what could be a priceless point in the battle to avoid relegation.

The draw means the Seagulls are in 13th spot on the EPL ladder on 28 points, three ahead of Stoke who remain in the drop zone.

Brighton next host in-form Swansea City at the Amex Stadium next weekend.

Elsewhere in England, Caltex Socceroos defender Bailey Wright was involved in a crazy game in the Championship as his Bristol City drew 3-3 with Sunderland.

Bristol looked on track for a comfortable win as they led 3-0 at half-time at Ashton Gate against the competition’s second-from-bottom side.

But the Black Cats incredibly scored three in the last 20 minutes – including two own goals – to snatch a 3-3 draw to leave Bristol in sixth-spot on the ladder.

And midfielder Jackson Irvine got through the full 90 minutes as Hull won 2-0 at Nottingham Forest to jump out of the drop zone.