Ostracised Oar expects cold shoulder at Utrecht

Tommy Oar says he isn't surprised at being axed from the Utrecht first team after deciding to leave the club at the end of the season.

The 23-year-old has informed the Eredivisie side of his decision not to sign a contract extension and will leave on a free transfer when the 2014-15 campaign is over.

His last start was against Feyenoord on March 1, with Oar under no illusions about the reason for his recent fall from grace.

"The club made it clear that if I didn't re-sign for them I would probably be on the bench or in the grandstand and they are now being true to their word," he told SBS.

"I have tried to do the right thing by them by being honest about my intentions.

"What's happening now is not really surprising, but of course it's disappointing and frustrating.

"I knew this would be my last year and if I was to leave it might, in some ways, be a difficult year.

"But I am not letting the situation get me down. Every player wants to play, but I am not the first they have done this to and I probably won't be the last. It's just the way things are here.

"The club has said in the press that that my performances haven't been good enough and that's why I've been dropped - but I think the last game I played I did quite well, so I don't know."

Oar, who has been linked with Ajax and Udinese in the last 10 months, will not be rushed into his next move as he seeks the right club to further his career.

"There is nowhere concrete at the moment and no decisions have yet been made," he said. 

"There are some offers there for me and I am hopeful that sooner rather than later things will be sorted out.

"I am trying to be very particular with my choice to make sure I make the right one. I have an ambition to play in one of Europe's top leagues and that will one of the things in my mind when I make a decision."

Meanwhile, in Scotland World Cup Socceroo Ryan McGowan has been slammed by Celtic boss Ronny Delia after a challenge he said was "stupid". 

McGowan was sent off in the 89th minute of Dundee United’s 4-0 loss to Celtic overnight in the Scottish Cup quarter-finals.

McGowan later tweeted his side of the incident after a tackle on Liam Henderson resulted in him being red-carded just minutes after Celtic’s Anthony Stokes had been given his marching orders, prompting a melee between both sides.