On April 4 2004, Tim Cahill solidified his status as a Millwall legend after his winning goal against Sunderland sent the Lions to their first-ever FA Cup final.
The Caltex Socceroo smashed home a parried shot in the 25th minute of the semi-final at Old Trafford in what turned out to be his second last game as a Millwall player.
After a 3-0 defeat to Manchester United in the FA Cup final – where Cristiano Ronaldo and Ruud van Nistelrooy scored the decisive goals – Cahill departed the Lions for Everton in the Premier League.
However, 13 years later, the 38-year-old has returned to Millwall as he eyes a spot at a fourth World Cup in Russia.
Here’s a look back at Cahill’s highlights as a Millwall player.
- 1997: Cahill signs for Millwall from Sydney United.
- May 2 1998: Cahill makes his Millwall debut in a 2-1 loss to Bournemouth.
- 1999: Cahill helps Millwall reach the Football League Trophy final, which they lost to Wigan 1-0.
- 2000/2001: Cahill is part of the Lions side who won the Football League Second Division championship with a club record points total
- 2004: Cahill’s goal in a 1-0 FA Cup semi-final win over Sunderland secures their first-ever FA Cup final spot and a UEFA Cup place. Cahill polled over 100,000 votes to win the ‘Player of the Round’ award for his performance against the Black Cats.
- Prior to 2004/2005 season: Cahill signs for Everton after spending seven years at Millwall.
- Goals record: 56 goals in 249 games for Millwall
Aussies Abroad: Langerak keeps clean sheet while Mooy suffers defeat
There were a range of Caltex Socceroos in action across two continents, some fighting for their season and others just beginning theirs. Mat Leckie will have to wait another week to make his return from injury as he was absent from Hertha Berlin’s gallant 1-0 defeat to Bundesl
Aussies Abroad: Milligan triumphs in battle of the Aussies, Jeggo suffers defeat in Austria
There were two Caltex Socceroos in action across Europe on Saturday morning (AEDT) as Mark Milligan and Jimmy Jeggo stepped out for Hibernian and Austria Vienna respectively.... Milligan played the full 90 in Scotland as Hibs overcame Dundee in a 4-2 thriller at Dens Park. AUS
Aussies Abroad: Vukovic injured as Genk exit Europa League
It wasn’t a happy night in the UEFA Europa League for Danny Vukovic as he was stretched off in Genk’s 4-1 loss to Slavia Prague on Friday morning (AEDT). AUSSIES ABROAD: Vukovic features in top-two battle NEW DEAL: In-form Vukovic rewarded with contract extension Still sco
When to watch your Caltex Socceroos this weekend
There's plenty for Caltex Socceroos fans to sink their teeth into this weekend with our homegrown heroes gearing up for some massive matches. Mathew Leckie attempts to slay a giant in Germany, two Aussies set aside national team loyalties in Denmark and Aaron Mooy goes on the