On April 4 2004, Tim Cahill solidified his status as a Millwall legend after his winning goal against Sunderland sent the Lions to their first-ever FA Cup final.
The Caltex Socceroo smashed home a parried shot in the 25th minute of the semi-final at Old Trafford in what turned out to be his second last game as a Millwall player.
After a 3-0 defeat to Manchester United in the FA Cup final – where Cristiano Ronaldo and Ruud van Nistelrooy scored the decisive goals – Cahill departed the Lions for Everton in the Premier League.
However, 13 years later, the 38-year-old has returned to Millwall as he eyes a spot at a fourth World Cup in Russia.
Here’s a look back at Cahill’s highlights as a Millwall player.
- 1997: Cahill signs for Millwall from Sydney United.
- May 2 1998: Cahill makes his Millwall debut in a 2-1 loss to Bournemouth.
- 1999: Cahill helps Millwall reach the Football League Trophy final, which they lost to Wigan 1-0.
- 2000/2001: Cahill is part of the Lions side who won the Football League Second Division championship with a club record points total
- 2004: Cahill’s goal in a 1-0 FA Cup semi-final win over Sunderland secures their first-ever FA Cup final spot and a UEFA Cup place. Cahill polled over 100,000 votes to win the ‘Player of the Round’ award for his performance against the Black Cats.
- Prior to 2004/2005 season: Cahill signs for Everton after spending seven years at Millwall.
- Goals record: 56 goals in 249 games for Millwall
Colombia squad named ahead of Caltex Socceroos friendly
World-class stars James Rodriguez, Radamel Falcao and Tottenham’s Davinson Sanchez have all been included in Colombia’s squad for the upcoming friendly against the Caltex Socceroos. Bart van Marwijk’s side takes on the South American’s in London on March 28 (AEDT), just days a
Aussies Abroad: Maclaren’s 10-man Hibs secure draw in SPL
It was a frustrating night for Caltex Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren as his 10-man Hibernian held on for a 1-1 at St Johnstone in the Scottish Premiership on Saturday morning (AEDT). But the young Aussie only played 14 minutes, substituted after Hibs keeper Ofir Marciano was
FIFA reveal VAR will be used at 2018 World Cup
FIFA have confirmed that the Video Assistant Referees (VAR) will be used at this year’s FIFA World Cup in Russia. FIFA’s ruling council confirmed on Saturday morning (AEDT) that they will provide match officials with the technological assistance during the tournament, which be
Revealed: Your Caltex Socceroos XI to face Norway
You've had your say and now we can reveal the starting side Caltex Socceroos fans hope to see in the upcoming friendly against Norway in Oslo. Following confirmation of Bert van Marwijk's final 26-man squad, we turned over the teamsheet to find out who you think should be in t