Captain Mile Jedinak inspires Caltex Socceroos to impressive victory over Honduras
A powerful second half spearheaded by captain Mile Jedinak saw the Caltex Socceroos see off Honduras 3-1 in their second leg intercontinental playoff in Sydney on Wednesday night to seal World Cup qualification for the Australians.
Australia ramped up the intensity in the second half to sweep aside a brave Honduran effort with Mile Jedinak scoring twice from set-pieces, while it was his free-kick that was deflected in, denying him a famous hat-trick.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Matt Jurman picked up a yellow card within the first two minutes and on the cusp of half-time Aaron Mooy went into the book, too.
- Full of energy, Honduras dominated the opening 10 minutes, pressing high and compressing the pitch.
- Australia's best chances falling to Cahill and Tom Rogic.
- 0-0 at the break with Honduras perhaps the happier of the two, though Australia had 72% possession.
- Rogic's mazy run was ended by a foul on the edge of the box and the resulting free kick hit the back of the net. 1-0 to the hosts.
- Australia was in the ascendancy and Cahill's fantastic header moments after the goal hit the bar.
- Australia sensed this was their time and after a handball in the box, captain Mile Jedinak held his nerve to make it 2-0.
- Honduras threw everything at Australia but they were tiring. An pacy Robbie Kruse rammed home the advantage, running into the box before a foul on him was swept home by the skipper to make it 3-0.
Figueroa (OG), Australia 53’: 1-0
Rogic's fabulous bursting run was ended on the edge of the box and with Mooy lurking, Captain Socceroo Mile Jedinak cleverly hit his free kick centrally and the deflection off Henry Figueroa beat the Honduras keeper.
Jedinak, Australia 71’: 2-0
Handball by Honduras' Bryan Acosta and Mile Jedinak did what he does - scores from the spot!
Jedinak, Australia 85’: 3-0
Sub Robbie Kruse burst through a tiring Honduras defence, he was brought down in the box and the skipper stepped up and smashed it home. Cue celebration time.
Figueroa, Honduras 92’: 3-1
Honduras bundled home a consolation goal from a corner.
FFA to conduct additional injury assessment with Aaron Mooy
Football Federation Australia (FFA) acknowledges Huddersfield Town’s statement regarding Aaron Mooy released on Thursday morning (AEDT). Due to the significance of the AFC Asian Cup to the Caltex Socceroos, FFA will proceed with a plan to deploy its High Performance Coordina
Aussies Abroad: Rogic and Vukovic progress to Europa League Round of 32
The Europa League Round of 32 will have an Aussie flavour after Tom Rogic and Danny Vukovic both sealed their progression to the knockout stage of Europe’s second-tier competition. Rogic played 90 minutes as Celtic did it the hard way, their 2-1 loss at the hands of FC Salzbur
Where are your Caltex Socceroos in action this weekend?
The challenges keep coming for Mat Ryan with Australia's star shot-stopper set to face a Premier League powerhouse this weekend. Several big-name Caltex Socceroos are also preparing to square off in a Scottish Premiership match with major title ramifications. Get across tho
Aussies Abroad: Sainsbury denies former club Inter in first UEFA Champions League start
Two Caltex Socceroos defenders were involved in key UEFA Champions League matches on Wednesday morning (AEDT). Milos Degenek’s Red Star Belgrade took on the might of Paris Saint Germain, featuring Neymar and Kylian Mbappe, while Trent Sainsbury went to former club Inter Milan