The Caltex Socceroos will test themselves against one of the tournament's favourites in a fascinating Group C of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Here's what you need to know about Australia's top-seeded opponent, France.
FRANCE (Pot 1)
- How they qualified: Winners of Group A in UEFA’s preliminary competition
- Participations including 2018: 15 (FIFA World Cup Champions once)
- Coach: Didier Deschamps (former France international player)
- Three key players: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint Germain), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)
- France have qualified for their 15th World Cup. It’s their sixth appearance in a row, their longest ever run.
- France have topped their group only twice in their last nine World Cup appearances (1998, 2014). In fact, they’ve won only three of their last 12 group games (D5 L4), it came against Togo, Honduras and Switzerland.
- Nine of France’s last 16 goals at the World Cup have come from set-pieces (56%).
- Also, France’s last 23 goals at the World Cup have been scored from inside the box, the last goal from distance coming from Lilian Thuram in the 1998 semi-final against Croatia.
- France’s Just Fontaine still holds the record for most goals in a single World Cup (13 in 1958).
- This is Didier Deschamps’ third consecutive major tournament as France manager, after guiding his team to the 2014 World Cup quarter-finals and the 2016 Euro final (beaten by Portugal after extra-time). He captained France as they won the World Cup on home soil in 1998, playing in six of his team’s seven games.
For ticket information, head to FIFA's website - www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/index
Aussies Abroad: Leckie on target in Hertha's Bundesliga draw
Mathew Leckie was on the scoresheet in Hertha Berlin’s 2-2 draw with Augsburg in this morning’s Bundesliga clash. The 27-year-old finished off a rapid counter attack from Hertha in the first half to level the scores at 1-1. Leckie’s strike is his second in five Bundesliga m
Aussies Abroad: Rogic, Vukovic primed for big UEFA Europa League ties
Tom Rogic and Celtic will face traditional La Liga powerhouse Valencia while Danny Vukovic’s Gent take on Czech giants Slavia Prague after the draw for the UEFA Europa League Round of 32 was made on Tuesday morning (AEDT). Celtic scrapped through by the skin of their teeth, af
Aussies Abroad: Jeggo stars in Vienna derby, Ryan edged by Chelsea in Premier League
A clean sheet, a title race and a derby goal headlined an action-packed night for our overseas Australians. In Austria, James Jeggo opened his account for the season in Austria Wien’s 6-1 hammering of Rapid Wien in the Vienna derby. DEGENEK REFLECTS: Caltex Socceroos defend
Aussies Abroad: Luongo, Irvine help sides to important Championship wins
Massimo Luongo and Jackson Irvine both braved atrocious English weather to help steer their sides to Championship victories on Sunday morning (AEDT). And in warmer temperatures, Matt Jurman’s Al Ittihad broke through for their first win of the Saudi Arabia Pro League season at