The Caltex Socceroos will test themselves against one of the tournament's favourites in a fascinating Group C of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Here's what you need to know about Australia's top-seeded opponent, France.
FRANCE (Pot 1)
- How they qualified: Winners of Group A in UEFA’s preliminary competition
- Participations including 2018: 15 (FIFA World Cup Champions once)
- Coach: Didier Deschamps (former France international player)
- Three key players: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint Germain), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)
- France have qualified for their 15th World Cup. It’s their sixth appearance in a row, their longest ever run.
- France have topped their group only twice in their last nine World Cup appearances (1998, 2014). In fact, they’ve won only three of their last 12 group games (D5 L4), it came against Togo, Honduras and Switzerland.
- Nine of France’s last 16 goals at the World Cup have come from set-pieces (56%).
- Also, France’s last 23 goals at the World Cup have been scored from inside the box, the last goal from distance coming from Lilian Thuram in the 1998 semi-final against Croatia.
- France’s Just Fontaine still holds the record for most goals in a single World Cup (13 in 1958).
- This is Didier Deschamps’ third consecutive major tournament as France manager, after guiding his team to the 2014 World Cup quarter-finals and the 2016 Euro final (beaten by Portugal after extra-time). He captained France as they won the World Cup on home soil in 1998, playing in six of his team’s seven games.
For ticket information, head to FIFA's website - www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/index
When are your Caltex Socceroos in action this weekend?
Awer Mabil and FC Midtjylland are out to flag their Danish Superliga intentions this weekend against Nordsjaellan... Midtjylland got their new campaign off to a winning start last Saturday morning as Mikael Anderson struck a 90th-minute winner in a 1-0 victory over Esbjerg.
Heat, humidity, altitude and air miles: what the Caltex Socceroos can expect on the road to Qatar
The Caltex Socceroos? road to Qatar 2022 is likely to be a long and winding one, featuring intense heat, humidity, altitude and countless air miles. Having received a bye through their first round of Asian Football Confederation qualifying for FIFA World Cup 2022, Graham Arnol
‘I’m loving being back’: Behich beams about return to Turkey
Caltex Socceroos defender Aziz Behich has his sights set on Champions League football with new club ?stanbul Ba?ak?ehir FK after making a ?smooth transition? back into Turkish Football. After spending last season in Holland at PSV Eindhoven, Behich has returned to Turkey where
Gary van Egmond names maiden Young Socceroos squad
New Young Socceroos Head Coach Gary van Egmond today named his maiden squad in charge of Australia?s under-20 men?s national football team. Van Egmond has selected 30 players for a training camp at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra from Sunday, 28 July 2019 to Fri