The Caltex Socceroos will test themselves against one of the tournament's favourites in a fascinating Group C of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Here's what you need to know about Australia's top-seeded opponent, France.
FRANCE (Pot 1)
- How they qualified: Winners of Group A in UEFA’s preliminary competition
- Participations including 2018: 15 (FIFA World Cup Champions once)
- Coach: Didier Deschamps (former France international player)
- Three key players: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint Germain), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)
- France have qualified for their 15th World Cup. It’s their sixth appearance in a row, their longest ever run.
- France have topped their group only twice in their last nine World Cup appearances (1998, 2014). In fact, they’ve won only three of their last 12 group games (D5 L4), it came against Togo, Honduras and Switzerland.
- Nine of France’s last 16 goals at the World Cup have come from set-pieces (56%).
- Also, France’s last 23 goals at the World Cup have been scored from inside the box, the last goal from distance coming from Lilian Thuram in the 1998 semi-final against Croatia.
- France’s Just Fontaine still holds the record for most goals in a single World Cup (13 in 1958).
- This is Didier Deschamps’ third consecutive major tournament as France manager, after guiding his team to the 2014 World Cup quarter-finals and the 2016 Euro final (beaten by Portugal after extra-time). He captained France as they won the World Cup on home soil in 1998, playing in six of his team’s seven games.
For ticket information, head to FIFA's website - www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/index
Opponent Watch: Deschamps slams ‘cocky’ France
The Caltex Socceroos weren’t the only team in pre-World Cup friendly action this weekend, with all three of their Group C opponents in Russia featuring in matches. And Australia’s first opponents at the World Cup France suffered a setback in their preparations against Colombia
Analysis: debutants Petratos, Susnjar the positives after Oslo loss
Result aside, Dimi Petratos and Aleksandar Susnjar had assured debuts on Saturday morning. It was encouraging to see two starting XI debutants given a chance in Bert van Marwijk’s first game in charge. REPORT: Caltex Socceroos undone by Norway in BvM's maiden match ANAL
'Emotional' Nabbout on a high after Caltex Socceroos debut
A proud Andrew Nabbout revelled in redemption on Saturday morning (AEDT) after capping a hard road to international football with a first Caltex Socceroos cap. Once on the outer of the Hyundai A-League, Nabbout joined his former Newcastle Jets team-mate Dimitri Petratos in Aus
Analysis: enthusiastic Norway give Australia plenty to ponder
Australia struggled to deal with an at-times direct Norway, but the Norwegians showed there is more to their game after a 4-1 win over the Caltex Socceroos overnight. Ola Kamara's well-taken hat-trick for Lars Lagerbeck's side the highlight for a Norway that released the shac