The Caltex Socceroos will test themselves against one of the tournament's favourites in a fascinating Group C of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Here's what you need to know about Australia's top-seeded opponent, France.
FRANCE (Pot 1)
- How they qualified: Winners of Group A in UEFA’s preliminary competition
- Participations including 2018: 15 (FIFA World Cup Champions once)
- Coach: Didier Deschamps (former France international player)
- Three key players: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint Germain), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)
- France have qualified for their 15th World Cup. It’s their sixth appearance in a row, their longest ever run.
- France have topped their group only twice in their last nine World Cup appearances (1998, 2014). In fact, they’ve won only three of their last 12 group games (D5 L4), it came against Togo, Honduras and Switzerland.
- Nine of France’s last 16 goals at the World Cup have come from set-pieces (56%).
- Also, France’s last 23 goals at the World Cup have been scored from inside the box, the last goal from distance coming from Lilian Thuram in the 1998 semi-final against Croatia.
- France’s Just Fontaine still holds the record for most goals in a single World Cup (13 in 1958).
- This is Didier Deschamps’ third consecutive major tournament as France manager, after guiding his team to the 2014 World Cup quarter-finals and the 2016 Euro final (beaten by Portugal after extra-time). He captained France as they won the World Cup on home soil in 1998, playing in six of his team’s seven games.
For ticket information, head to FIFA's website - www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/index
Update to Young Socceroos squad for AFC U19 Championship
Football Federation Australia (FFA) has confirmed on Friday a change to the Young Socceroos squad that is competing at the 2018 AFC U19 Championship in Indonesia. Young Socceroos coach Ante Milicic has brought in Melbourne City FC’s Connor Metcalfe to replace Western Sydney Wa
When are your Caltex Socceroos in action this weekend?
Awer Mabil will be among the Aussies taking Caltex Socceroos form back to the club grind as Aaron Mooy braces for a huge Premier League test this weekend. Meanwhile, there's a match not to be missed in Scotland that's set to showcase several of our overseas stars. Read on t
Milicic calls for fast start to AFC U-19 Championship campaign
Ante Milicic has urged his Young Socceroos side not to waste a second at the AFC U-19 Championship as they prepare to meet Korea Republic on Friday night. A tournament-opening victory for either nation in Indonesia could prove crucial to progressing from a tricky Group C that