The Caltex Socceroos will test themselves against one of the tournament's favourites in a fascinating Group C of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Here's what you need to know about Australia's top-seeded opponent, France.
FRANCE (Pot 1)
- How they qualified: Winners of Group A in UEFA’s preliminary competition
- Participations including 2018: 15 (FIFA World Cup Champions once)
- Coach: Didier Deschamps (former France international player)
- Three key players: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint Germain), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)
- France have qualified for their 15th World Cup. It’s their sixth appearance in a row, their longest ever run.
- France have topped their group only twice in their last nine World Cup appearances (1998, 2014). In fact, they’ve won only three of their last 12 group games (D5 L4), it came against Togo, Honduras and Switzerland.
- Nine of France’s last 16 goals at the World Cup have come from set-pieces (56%).
- Also, France’s last 23 goals at the World Cup have been scored from inside the box, the last goal from distance coming from Lilian Thuram in the 1998 semi-final against Croatia.
- France’s Just Fontaine still holds the record for most goals in a single World Cup (13 in 1958).
- This is Didier Deschamps’ third consecutive major tournament as France manager, after guiding his team to the 2014 World Cup quarter-finals and the 2016 Euro final (beaten by Portugal after extra-time). He captained France as they won the World Cup on home soil in 1998, playing in six of his team’s seven games.
For ticket information, head to FIFA's website - www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/index
Duke replaces Ikonomidis in Caltex Socceroos squad to face Korea Republic
Perth Glory’s Chris Ikonomidis will miss the upcoming friendly international with Korea Republic after scans revealed damage to his shoulder would require surgery. Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Graham Arnold said it was unfortunate, but after consultation with the club and the p
Jedinak’s presence huge boost for Villa ahead of lucrative playoff final
If Aston Villa have one thing in their favour in Tuesday morning’s (12am AEST) Championship playoff final against Derby County, it’s the presence of Mile Jedinak. The former Caltex Socceroos skipper is back at Wembley in the widely touted as the ‘richest game in world football
Aussies Abroad: Rogic’s Celtic make history after Scottish Cup final triumph
Tom Rogic’s Celtic has defeated Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final overnight to complete a remarkable ‘Treble’ and confirm themselves as the undisputed kings of Scottish football. The Bhoys were made to work hard for the win at Hampden Park though, falling behind early in the se
Caltex Socceroos defender Behich heading back to Turkey
Caltex Socceroos defender Aziz Behich has made a move back to Turkey, joining İstanbul Başakşehir FK on a three-year deal. After being unable to break into Mark van Bommel’s PSV side in the Eredivisie, the 28-year-old left-back has decided to join the Istanbul-based outfit whi