The Caltex Socceroos will test themselves against one of the tournament's favourites in a fascinating Group C of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Here's what you need to know about Australia's top-seeded opponent, France.
FRANCE (Pot 1)
- How they qualified: Winners of Group A in UEFA’s preliminary competition
- Participations including 2018: 15 (FIFA World Cup Champions once)
- Coach: Didier Deschamps (former France international player)
- Three key players: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint Germain), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)
- France have qualified for their 15th World Cup. It’s their sixth appearance in a row, their longest ever run.
- France have topped their group only twice in their last nine World Cup appearances (1998, 2014). In fact, they’ve won only three of their last 12 group games (D5 L4), it came against Togo, Honduras and Switzerland.
- Nine of France’s last 16 goals at the World Cup have come from set-pieces (56%).
- Also, France’s last 23 goals at the World Cup have been scored from inside the box, the last goal from distance coming from Lilian Thuram in the 1998 semi-final against Croatia.
- France’s Just Fontaine still holds the record for most goals in a single World Cup (13 in 1958).
- This is Didier Deschamps’ third consecutive major tournament as France manager, after guiding his team to the 2014 World Cup quarter-finals and the 2016 Euro final (beaten by Portugal after extra-time). He captained France as they won the World Cup on home soil in 1998, playing in six of his team’s seven games.
For ticket information, head to FIFA's website - www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/index
Young Socceroos end SBS Cup campaign with penalty shootout win
The Young Socceroos concluded their SBS Cup 2018 campaign with a 4-3 penalty shootout victory over Shizuoka Selection yesterday afternoon. It was reward for an encouraging series of performances at the international youth tournament for Ante Milicic’s youthful side, who had be
Aussies Abroad weekend wrap: Ryan stars in Premier League giant-killing
Two Manchester giants stood in the way of our Australians in Premier League action overnight. Read on to see how they went, and for a comprehensive weekend wrap of our overseas Australians! ARZANI: How will he be used by the Scottish champions? MILLIGAN: Aussie veteran j
Aussies Abroad: Rogic shines, debut for Caltex Socceroos defender
This week may have seen Daniel Arzani dominate headlines on Australian soil following his highly-anticipated move to the Scottish champions, but it was Caltex Socceroos teammate Tom Rogic who stole the show for Celtic yesterday evening (AEST). Meanwhile, it was a difficult mor
Caltex Socceroos veteran unites with Maclaren at Hibernian
Hibernian have signed Caltex Socceroos veteran Mark Milligan on a two-year deal, subject to securing a work permit. The 33-year-old was most recently on the books of Al-Ahli in Saudi Arabia and will now link up with national team colleague Jamie Maclaren at the Scottish outfit