Caltex Socceroos vs Syria: key stats from amazing second leg win
Australia bossed the stats against Syria to hold on and win 2-1 in Sydney on Tuesday night for a 3-2 aggregate victory. Here's how the game stats played out.
- This was the sixth consecutive Asian World Cup Qualifier Play-Off game that was undecided after regular time, and the second World Cup campaign that saw the Asian playoff after regular time.
- The Socceroos extended their undefeated streak in World Cup Qualifiers on home turf to 21 games (W18, D3).
- Syria scored a goal in an eighth consecutive international game, their longest goal-scoring streak since scoring in a stretch of 10 consecutive games from 2014 to 2015.
- The Socceroos’ 25 shots at goal were the most any team has made against Syria across the Asian World Cup Qualifiers (Rd3), and the second most Australia have made in a game (44 v Thailand).
- Ibrahim Almeh made nine saves on the night, including three from shots outside the box; the most saves by any player in a single game at Round 3 of Asian qualification is 10 (Hathairattanakool v Australia, Thamsatchanan v Iraq).
Aussies Abroad: Rogic stars in clash of Caltex Socceroos, Ryan and Mabil impress
In-form Caltex Socceroos star Tom Rogic produced a man-of-the-match performance in Celtic’s 4-2 Scottish Premiership win over Hibernian on Sunday morning (AEDT). Rogic - who netted in Australia’s 4-0 friendly win over Kuwait on Tuesday - scored an outstanding goal and then pro
Milicic ‘extremely proud’ of Young Socceroos comeback
Young Socceroos boss Ante Milicic praised his side’s “strong Australian mentality” after they battled back to salvage a 1-1 draw in their AFC U-19 Championship opener against Korea Republic. Melbourne City’s Ramy Najjarine came off the bench to score a stunning 89th-minute equ
Update to Young Socceroos squad for AFC U19 Championship
Football Federation Australia (FFA) has confirmed on Friday a change to the Young Socceroos squad that is competing at the 2018 AFC U19 Championship in Indonesia. Young Socceroos coach Ante Milicic has brought in Melbourne City FC’s Connor Metcalfe to replace Western Sydney Wa