Caltex Socceroos vs Syria: key stats from amazing second leg win
Australia bossed the stats against Syria to hold on and win 2-1 in Sydney on Tuesday night for a 3-2 aggregate victory. Here's how the game stats played out.
- This was the sixth consecutive Asian World Cup Qualifier Play-Off game that was undecided after regular time, and the second World Cup campaign that saw the Asian playoff after regular time.
- The Socceroos extended their undefeated streak in World Cup Qualifiers on home turf to 21 games (W18, D3).
- Syria scored a goal in an eighth consecutive international game, their longest goal-scoring streak since scoring in a stretch of 10 consecutive games from 2014 to 2015.
- The Socceroos’ 25 shots at goal were the most any team has made against Syria across the Asian World Cup Qualifiers (Rd3), and the second most Australia have made in a game (44 v Thailand).
- Ibrahim Almeh made nine saves on the night, including three from shots outside the box; the most saves by any player in a single game at Round 3 of Asian qualification is 10 (Hathairattanakool v Australia, Thamsatchanan v Iraq).
Live Blog: Young Socceroos v Malaysia in AFF U-18 Championship Final
The Young Socceroos take on Malaysia in the final of the 2019 AFF U-18 Championship in Vietnam from 10:30pm AEST. After their come-from-behind Semi Final win over Myanmar on Saturday night, Gary van Egmond's youngsters earned the right to play for the championship at the Thong
Aussies Abroad: Behich makes debut for İstanbul Basaksehir
Caltex Socceroos defender Aziz Behich made his Turkish Super Lig debut for Istanbul Basaksehir but his new side fell to a 3-0 defeat in the season opener against Yeni Malatyaspor. Behich started alongside the likes of ex-Chelsea striker Demba Ba and former Bundesliga star Elje
Aussies Abroad: Mooy makes Brighton bow as Ryan helps secure draw with West Ham
Aaron Mooy made his Brighton & Hove Albion debut as Mat Ryan?s late heroics earned the Seagulls a share of the points against West Ham United. Javier Hernandez put the Hammers ahead on 61 minutes but Leandro Trossard?s struck four minutes later to restore parity in the Premier
Aussies Abroad: Taggart's hot streak continues with treble for Suwon against Gangwon
Adam Taggart hit his first hat-trick in more than five years to continue his scorching hot K-League goalscoring streak. The Caltex Socceroos hitman netted a treble in Suwon Bluewings? 3-1 victory at Gangwon FC to rack up 16 goals in 19 starts since his February move to the Kor