Caltex Socceroos vs Syria: key stats from amazing second leg win
Australia bossed the stats against Syria to hold on and win 2-1 in Sydney on Tuesday night for a 3-2 aggregate victory. Here's how the game stats played out.
- This was the sixth consecutive Asian World Cup Qualifier Play-Off game that was undecided after regular time, and the second World Cup campaign that saw the Asian playoff after regular time.
- The Socceroos extended their undefeated streak in World Cup Qualifiers on home turf to 21 games (W18, D3).
- Syria scored a goal in an eighth consecutive international game, their longest goal-scoring streak since scoring in a stretch of 10 consecutive games from 2014 to 2015.
- The Socceroos’ 25 shots at goal were the most any team has made against Syria across the Asian World Cup Qualifiers (Rd3), and the second most Australia have made in a game (44 v Thailand).
- Ibrahim Almeh made nine saves on the night, including three from shots outside the box; the most saves by any player in a single game at Round 3 of Asian qualification is 10 (Hathairattanakool v Australia, Thamsatchanan v Iraq).
Aussies Abroad: Vukovic’s Genk beaten in battle of Belgium’s top two
Danny Vukovic’s Genk remain well clear on top of the table despite falling to a rare defeat in Belgium against Club Brugge overnight. In a meeting of the competition’s top two at the Jan Breydel Stadion, Genk were beaten the fired-up home side, going down 3-1. There was lit
Aussies Abroad: Ryan’s Brighton through to Quarter-Finals while Milligan, Giannou pick up strong results
There were a handful of Caltex Socceroos in action on Sunday morning (AEDT) while some key figures were rested as their clubs negotiated cup ties. Firstly to Europe where Mark Milligan played a full 90 at the heart of Hibernian’s midfield as they welcomed new manager Danny Hec
Aussies Abroad: Luongo gallant in Watford defeat
Caltex Socceroos midfielder Massimo Luongo can turn his attention to the EFLChampionship after QPR crashed out of the FA Cup on Saturday morning (AEDT). The 26-year-old played the full 90 minutes in QPR’s 1-0 loss to Watford at Loftus Road, in a tight game where each side cou
When to watch your Caltex Socceroos this weekend
There's FA Cup action on the cards for two Australians this weekend as another prepares for a massive top-of-the-table encounter. Multiple players are involved in matches with major title ramifications, while Mark Milligan has a new manager to impress in Scotland. Read on t