Caltex Socceroos vs Syria: key stats from amazing second leg win
Australia bossed the stats against Syria to hold on and win 2-1 in Sydney on Tuesday night for a 3-2 aggregate victory. Here's how the game stats played out.
- This was the sixth consecutive Asian World Cup Qualifier Play-Off game that was undecided after regular time, and the second World Cup campaign that saw the Asian playoff after regular time.
- The Socceroos extended their undefeated streak in World Cup Qualifiers on home turf to 21 games (W18, D3).
- Syria scored a goal in an eighth consecutive international game, their longest goal-scoring streak since scoring in a stretch of 10 consecutive games from 2014 to 2015.
- The Socceroos’ 25 shots at goal were the most any team has made against Syria across the Asian World Cup Qualifiers (Rd3), and the second most Australia have made in a game (44 v Thailand).
- Ibrahim Almeh made nine saves on the night, including three from shots outside the box; the most saves by any player in a single game at Round 3 of Asian qualification is 10 (Hathairattanakool v Australia, Thamsatchanan v Iraq).
Leckie: Socceroos have proved the doubters wrong
Mathew Leckie believes the Socceroos have proved the critics wrong at the FIFA World Cup™ but now wants to turn positive performances into points in their crucial clash against Peru. As the lowest-ranked nation in Group C, Australia was expected to struggle at the tournament a
Opponent Watch: Peruvian star hospitalised ahead of Socceroos clash
Peru’s preparation for the crucial Group C clash against the Socceroos has suffered a blow with a star attacker sent to hospital after he was knocked unconscious in training. There’s been some high praise for a couple of French strikers while Denmark let their hair down with s
Russia Watch: Germany saved embarrassment by late Kroos winner
Germany has come back from the brink of a humiliating early FIFA World Cup™ exit, scoring a stoppage-time winner to break Swedish hearts. Elsewhere, Javier Hernandez scored a landmark goal as Mexico continued their dream start to the tournament, while Belgium put in a five-sta
Day 35 Wrap: Sightseeing, cards and haircuts on rare day off
The Caltex Socceroos may be just three days away from their must-win FIFA World Cup™ clash against Peru but coach Bert van Marwijk gave the players a rare day off to recharge the batteries. While Saturday morning’s usual media commitments – where three players are put up for p