Caltex Socceroos vs Syria: key stats from amazing second leg win
Australia bossed the stats against Syria to hold on and win 2-1 in Sydney on Tuesday night for a 3-2 aggregate victory. Here's how the game stats played out.
- This was the sixth consecutive Asian World Cup Qualifier Play-Off game that was undecided after regular time, and the second World Cup campaign that saw the Asian playoff after regular time.
- The Socceroos extended their undefeated streak in World Cup Qualifiers on home turf to 21 games (W18, D3).
- Syria scored a goal in an eighth consecutive international game, their longest goal-scoring streak since scoring in a stretch of 10 consecutive games from 2014 to 2015.
- The Socceroos’ 25 shots at goal were the most any team has made against Syria across the Asian World Cup Qualifiers (Rd3), and the second most Australia have made in a game (44 v Thailand).
- Ibrahim Almeh made nine saves on the night, including three from shots outside the box; the most saves by any player in a single game at Round 3 of Asian qualification is 10 (Hathairattanakool v Australia, Thamsatchanan v Iraq).
'He’s got something that a lot of youngsters don’t have': Arnold on Arzani
Celtic is the ideal destination for Daniel Arzani to continue his development, says Caltex Socceroos boss Graham Arnold. The 19-year-old sealed his two-year loan move from Manchester City to the Scottish champions last Friday. It's a huge step for the Iranian-born attacker,
Aussies Abroad: Irvine's brilliant brace for Hull City
Jackson Irvine had only scored two goals in 40 appearances for Hull City before this mornings 3-2 win over Rotherham United. But the Caltex Socceroos’ midfielder blew that record out of the water with a brilliant double in 47 minutes as he inspired the Tigers to their first wi
New dawn, new goal-scoring style says Arnold
Australia coach Graham Arnold has declared his Caltex Socceroos side will look to develop a new style in order to score more goals ahead of the 2019 AFC Asian Cup. It’s something of a new dawn for international football in Australia, with the FIFA World Cup™ in the rear-view m
Caltex Socceroos to face Korea Republic in Brisbane in November
Football Federation Australia (FFA), the Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council today announced that the Caltex Socceroos will host Korea Republic in an international friendly match at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane on Saturday, 17 November 2018. FFA CEO David Gallop was