Caltex Socceroos’ FIFA World Cup stats
Did you know Tim Cahill has scored five of Australia’s 11 FIFA World Cup goals? And he’s one of only nine players to have scored at each of the last three World Cups?
Check out these other top Opta stats ahead of Saturday’s 2018 World Cup draw.
- This will be Australia’s fifth World Cup appearance and fourth in a row.
- Australia played 22 qualifiers to win their place at Russia 2018, more than any other nation and scored 51 goals, the most of any country in qualifying for this tournament.
- Australia had only made one World Cup appearance prior to 2006, when they finished bottom of their group and didn’t score a single goal at the 1974 tournament.
- Australia have reached the knockout stages of the World Cup just once, when they were beaten 1-0 by eventual winners Italy in the round of 16 in 2006.
- The Caltex Socceroos have won just two of their 13 World Cup games, against Japan in 2006 (3-1) and Serbia in 2010 (2-1). They have also drawn three times.
- Australia has kept just one World Cup clean sheet, in a 0-0 draw with Chile in 1974.
- Mark Bresciano has played the most World Cup games for Australia with nine.
Poll: choose your Caltex Socceroos starting XI to face Colombia in London
After Saturday morning’s (AEDT) loss to Norway, the Caltex Socceroos get a chance at redemption when they take on Colombia in London. Coach Bert van Marwijk handed debuts to the likes of Dimitri Petratos, Andrew Nabbout and Aleksandar Susnjar in Oslo and is sure to freshen up
What’s next for the Caltex Socceroos?
While Bert van Marwijk’s debut game as Caltex Socceroos coach didn’t go to plan, the side gets a chance to put things right when they take on Colombia in London on Wednesday morning (Australian time). The South Americans are a dangerous side, having beaten Australia’s Group C
Opponent Watch: Deschamps slams ‘cocky’ France
The Caltex Socceroos weren’t the only team in pre-World Cup friendly action this weekend, with all three of their Group C opponents in Russia featuring in matches. And Australia’s first opponents at the World Cup France suffered a setback in their preparations against Colombia
Analysis: debutants Petratos, Susnjar the positives after Oslo loss
Result aside, Dimi Petratos and Aleksandar Susnjar had assured debuts on Saturday morning. It was encouraging to see two starting XI debutants given a chance in Bert van Marwijk’s first game in charge. REPORT: Caltex Socceroos undone by Norway in BvM's maiden match ANAL