Caltex Socceroos’ FIFA World Cup stats
Did you know Tim Cahill has scored five of Australia’s 11 FIFA World Cup goals? And he’s one of only nine players to have scored at each of the last three World Cups?
Check out these other top Opta stats ahead of Saturday’s 2018 World Cup draw.
- This will be Australia’s fifth World Cup appearance and fourth in a row.
- Australia played 22 qualifiers to win their place at Russia 2018, more than any other nation and scored 51 goals, the most of any country in qualifying for this tournament.
- Australia had only made one World Cup appearance prior to 2006, when they finished bottom of their group and didn’t score a single goal at the 1974 tournament.
- Australia have reached the knockout stages of the World Cup just once, when they were beaten 1-0 by eventual winners Italy in the round of 16 in 2006.
- The Caltex Socceroos have won just two of their 13 World Cup games, against Japan in 2006 (3-1) and Serbia in 2010 (2-1). They have also drawn three times.
- Australia has kept just one World Cup clean sheet, in a 0-0 draw with Chile in 1974.
- Mark Bresciano has played the most World Cup games for Australia with nine.
Aussies Abroad: Jeggo stars in Vienna derby, Ryan edged by Chelsea in Premier League
A clean sheet, a title race and a derby goal headlined an action-packed night for our overseas Australians. In Austria, James Jeggo opened his account for the season in Austria Wien’s 6-1 hammering of Rapid Wien in the Vienna derby. DEGENEK REFLECTS: Caltex Socceroos defend
Aussies Abroad: Luongo, Irvine help sides to important Championship wins
Massimo Luongo and Jackson Irvine both braved atrocious English weather to help steer their sides to Championship victories on Sunday morning (AEDT). And in warmer temperatures, Matt Jurman’s Al Ittihad broke through for their first win of the Saudi Arabia Pro League season at
Degenek not taking his foot off the gas
Twelve months ago, Caltex Socceroos defender Milos Degenek was playing in Japan — now, he’s tearing up Serbia’s SuperLiga, having been named in the league’s best eleven for the first half of the season. It’s a credit to Degenek, 24, who signed with Red Star Belgrade in July
Degenek named in Serbian Superliga's best XI
Caltex Socceroos defender Milos Degenek has been named in the Serbian Superliga’s best eleven players of the first half of the season after his performances for Red Star Belgrade. AUSSIES ABROAD: Sainsbury denies former club Inter in first UCL start READ MORE: Where you can w