Caltex Socceroos’ FIFA World Cup stats
Did you know Tim Cahill has scored five of Australia’s 11 FIFA World Cup goals? And he’s one of only nine players to have scored at each of the last three World Cups?
Check out these other top Opta stats ahead of Saturday’s 2018 World Cup draw.
- This will be Australia’s fifth World Cup appearance and fourth in a row.
- Australia played 22 qualifiers to win their place at Russia 2018, more than any other nation and scored 51 goals, the most of any country in qualifying for this tournament.
- Australia had only made one World Cup appearance prior to 2006, when they finished bottom of their group and didn’t score a single goal at the 1974 tournament.
- Australia have reached the knockout stages of the World Cup just once, when they were beaten 1-0 by eventual winners Italy in the round of 16 in 2006.
- The Caltex Socceroos have won just two of their 13 World Cup games, against Japan in 2006 (3-1) and Serbia in 2010 (2-1). They have also drawn three times.
- Australia has kept just one World Cup clean sheet, in a 0-0 draw with Chile in 1974.
- Mark Bresciano has played the most World Cup games for Australia with nine.
Family ties: Williams brothers join select group of Caltex Socceroos siblings
Next month’s friendly against Korea Republic is not only the Caltex Socceroos’ first outing since the 2019 AFC Asian Cup but looms as an extra special occasion for the Williams family. The selection of Ryan Williams – one of six potential debutants in Graham Arnold’s squad – s
Aussies Abroad: Europa League heartbreak for Amini
Mustafa Amini’s AGF were seconds away from a UEFA Europa League Playoff final, but missed out after conceding an injury-time goal from Marvin Egho in a 1-1 draw with Danish Superliga rivals Randers on Monday morning (AEST). Amini’s team had taken an away goal from their 2-1 lo
Duke replaces Ikonomidis in Caltex Socceroos squad to face Korea Republic
Perth Glory’s Chris Ikonomidis will miss the upcoming friendly international with Korea Republic after scans revealed damage to his shoulder would require surgery. Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Graham Arnold said it was unfortunate, but after consultation with the club and the p
Jedinak’s presence huge boost for Villa ahead of lucrative playoff final
If Aston Villa have one thing in their favour in Tuesday morning’s (12am AEST) Championship playoff final against Derby County, it’s the presence of Mile Jedinak. The former Caltex Socceroos skipper is back at Wembley in the widely touted as the ‘richest game in world football