Caltex Socceroos’ FIFA World Cup stats
Did you know Tim Cahill has scored five of Australia’s 11 FIFA World Cup goals? And he’s one of only nine players to have scored at each of the last three World Cups?
Check out these other top Opta stats ahead of Saturday’s 2018 World Cup draw.
- This will be Australia’s fifth World Cup appearance and fourth in a row.
- Australia played 22 qualifiers to win their place at Russia 2018, more than any other nation and scored 51 goals, the most of any country in qualifying for this tournament.
- Australia had only made one World Cup appearance prior to 2006, when they finished bottom of their group and didn’t score a single goal at the 1974 tournament.
- Australia have reached the knockout stages of the World Cup just once, when they were beaten 1-0 by eventual winners Italy in the round of 16 in 2006.
- The Caltex Socceroos have won just two of their 13 World Cup games, against Japan in 2006 (3-1) and Serbia in 2010 (2-1). They have also drawn three times.
- Australia has kept just one World Cup clean sheet, in a 0-0 draw with Chile in 1974.
- Mark Bresciano has played the most World Cup games for Australia with nine.
Player FeaturesSee more
The proud Caltex Socceroos moment that went beyond Behich's childhood dreams
He's one of the most experienced players in Graham Arnold's squad and Aziz Behich is relishing the chance to assume more of a leadership role on the Caltex Socceroos' journey to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022?. Behich has 36 senior caps to his name, with only six other players
The bold move that helped re-ignite Smith’s Caltex Socceroos career
Brad Smith admits he had doubts whether America's Major League Soccer was the right place to kick-start his career when Seattle Sounders came calling a little over 12 months ago. The Caltex Socceroos left-back, who debuted in the Premier League with Liverpool as a teenager in
From Adelaide to Germany: Borrello’s constant reminder of his Caltex Socceroos goal
From watching TV as a kid to lacing up his boots on the other side of the world - Brandon Borrello has always been aware of his Caltex Socceroos destiny. Freiburg SC attacker Borrello made his Caltex Socceroos bow in the June friendly against Korea Republic in Busan, something