In Tim Cahill’s 100th appearance, the Caltex Socceroos have outclassed world number four Chile only to draw 1-1 in an entertaining final group B game at the Confederations Cup in Russia.
At Moscow's Spartak Stadium, the Aussie display was energetic and full of intent throughout, but the result wasn’t enough to make the top two in the group, meaning their FIFA Confederations Cup campaign is now over.
In Cahill’ 100th the green and gold put on a display of courage and class to shock one of the world’s powers in Chile, who looked second best for most of their encounter in Moscow.
GAME IN SUMMARY
· Australia were brilliant in the first half. Pressing Chile incessantly, up for the challenge and defending smartly, they outclassed the South Americans and deservedly went to the break a goal to the good.
· Chile had a penalty shout in the first half but the VAR ruled it out.
· Tim Cahill lead from the front with a display that belied his 37 years – he set the tone early with his pressing and fierce tackling before he was subbed off just before the hour mark.
· Chile equalised shortly after Cahill left the pitch on his big day.
· Australia should’ve retaken the lead on 72 minutes but sub Jamie Maclaren missed from right in front.
James Troisi Australia, 41’: 1-0
Australia’s opener summed up their first half. Superb pressing forced a turnover inside the Chile half, and a free Troisi kept his cool when the ball fell to him in the box to calmly dink the ball over Claudio Bravo.
Martin Rodriguez Chile, 66’: 1-1
A scrappy goal after a heading duel went Chile’s way saw the ball fall to Rodriguez in front of goal and he couldn’t miss, poking the ball past Ryan.
Disappointment for Vukovic in Belgium Cup final
Caltex Socceroos gloveman Danny Vukovic has suffered heartbreak in the Belgium Cup final, going down 1-0 after extra-time against Standard Liege. In a tense and cagey final, both sides struggled to create chances as scores were locked at 0-0 after 90 minutes. But Liege stru
Aussies Abroad: Kruse stars again in Germany
Robbie Kruse will head into Caltex Socceroos camp in confident mood this week after continuing his impressive form with 2.Bundesliga outfit VFL Bochum overnight. The former Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Victory flyer had an assist as Bochum came from two goals down to beat Sandh
Mooy’s Huddersfield slump to EPL defeat against Palace
Caltex Socceroos playmaker Aaron Mooy could do nothing to inspire Huddersfield Town in the Premier League overnight, going down 2-0 to relegation rivals Crystal Palace. In his second match back from a knee injury, Mooy got through the full 90 minutes for David Wagner’s men at
Championship wrap: Luongo scores in QPR’s impressive comeback
Caltex Socceroos midfielder Massimo Luongo scored a classy goal as QPR came-from-behind to snatch a 2-2 draw against promotion candidates Fulham in the English Championship overnight. Fulham, unbeaten in their last 15 matches, led 2-0 heading into first-half stoppage-time befo