Aussies Abroad: Midweek matches return as Rogic inspires Celtic to European victory

Tom Rogic has continued his red-hot form with Celtic, making it two assists in three days after impressing in European action this morning. 

Watch his best bits in the player above, and read on to catch up on how all of our Socceroos in Europe took on their midweek club fixtures. 


Starting in Scotland, Tom Rogic was at his best as Celtic overcame AZ Alkmaar 2-0 in the first leg of their Europa League qualifier at Celtic Park. 

The Socceroos midfielder sparked a top performance with a brilliant piece of skill to yet up Kyogo Furuhashi's opening goal. 

The result sees Ange Postecoglou's side head to the Netherlands on August 27 with a comfortable buffer, as they edge closer to a place in the competition's group stages. 

After a difficult few years with injury, Rogic has been restored to Celtic's starting eleven and is playing an important role in their current win streak, which now sits at five matches. 

Milos Degenek also took to the pitch in the Europa League. 

The defender played 45 minutes as Red Star Belgrade comprehensively accounted for their Romanian opposition CFR Cluj, with a 4-0 first-leg win. 

Apart from Rogic, another Aussie loving life in Scotland is Martin Boyle. 

With five goals to his name this season and the Europa Conference League group stages in sight, Hibernian announced overnight that the Socceroos forward has renewed his contract until at least 2024. 

Moving across to England, the Championship saw its first midweek round of the season unfold, with Harry Souttar's Stoke City continuing their unbeaten start to the season. 

The Socceroos defender continued to impress in a 3-1 away victory at Swansea City. 

The Potters sit fifth, ahead of Sunday's round four meeting with Nottingham Forest. 

It has been a difficult start to life in the second tier for Kenny Dougall's Blackpool FC, who are still searching for their first victory of the campaign. 

After starting on the weekend, Dougall was introduced as a second-half substitute in the Seasiders' tight 1-0 loss to Coventry City.