Aussies Abroad: Hrustic scores first Bundesliga goal, Boyle & Irvine book Cup Final spot

Ajdin Hrustic scored his first goal for Eintracht Frankfurt in remarkable fashion, while our Hibernian Socceroos duo secured passage to the final of the Scottish Cup during another action-packed few days of Aussies Abroad action. 

Read all of the latest below! 


Ajdin Hrustic helped keep Eintracht Frankfurt's top four hopes alive with an 85th minute equaliser in their 1-1 draw with Mainz on Sunday. 

The Socceroos midfielder lost balance as his initial shot was blocked, but that did not stop him from pulling off an ingenious piece of skill.

As the ball bounced back in Hrustic's direction, he managed to scoop it up from the ground and launch it into the top corner. 

With two matches remaining, Frankfurt now sit in fifth spot of the Bundesliga, just one point shy of Borussia Dortmund in the final Champions League place. 

Martin Boyle and Jackson Irvine will be in party mode as they helped their Hibernian progress to the Scottish Cup Final courtesy of their 2-0 win over Dundee United on Saturday.

Irvine’s layoff on the edge of the 18-yard-area teed up Kevin Nisbet for Hibs’ opener on 27 minutes before some slick interplay between Boyle and Nisbet culminated in a fine finish from Christian Doidge in the 58th minute.

Boyle was clearly thrilled with the result after his side booked their place in the Cup final.

“It feels good. You can start to believe and dream. We’ve got a good bunch of boys in there, we’re collectively in it together and we can look forward to that day,” he said in his post-match interview.

He was delighted as he reminisced about his side’s previous Cup triumph in 2016 which they will hope to repeat in a fortnight’s time.

“It’s unbelievable, that day was just incredible. Unfortunately, we can’t share it with the fans but hopefully they’re on the edge of their seats today and they enjoyed it and like I said they can tune in on the 22nd and hopefully we can go one step further.”

Heading to the J League where Mitch Langerak got one over Adam Taggart in the Socceroos battle on Saturday afternoon.

The solitary goal was enough for Langerak’s Nagoya as they saw off Taggart and his Cerezo Osaka.

Unfortunately, Taggart was not involved in the matchday squad but it was a happy return to the winners circle for Langerak as his side claimed their first win in over a fortnight.

Moving to England, the League One season came to a close with two Aussies securing a shot at promotion to the second tier. 

Kenny Dougall's Blackpool secured a narrow 1-0 victory over the relegated Bristol Rovers, meaning they will finish in third position and face Oxford over two legs in the coming weeks. 

Just behind them are Bailey Wright's Sunderland who finished in fourth after the Australian defender played 90 minutes in a 1-1 draw with Northamption. 

The result ensured the Black Cats a playoff semi-final meeting with Lincoln, meaning that it could well be Aussie v Aussie in the League One Playoffs Final in a few week's time. 

Meanwhile, Saturday was the last time to see our English-based Championship players in action. Riley McGree’s time with Birmingham City ended in defeat as they went down 5-2 to Blackburn Rovers.

McGree played the final 14 minutes for the Blues as they finished the campaign in 18th place.

Elsewhere, Harry Souttar was absent for Stoke City as they overcame Bournemouth 2-0 in their final fixture.

The three points sees the Potters end their season in 14th

Across the Atlantic, Brad Smith's Seattle Sounders continued their red-hot start to the MLS season with a 2-1 victory over rivals Portland Timbers. 

While he did not manage to continue his goalscoring run, the Australian fullback played a solid 81 minutes in the victory.

In Denmark, Awer Mabil's FC Midtjylland saw their lead on top of the table cut down after a 3-1 defeat to Brondby. 

The Socceroos forward was again introduced off the bench with a quarter of an hour remaining, and will be hoping to inspire a return to winning ways in the coming weeks to hold onto his side's one-point advantage. 

Socceroos Browser Extension Thin Banner

Serbian Champions Red Star Belgrade secured their 33rd win of the season, with Milos Degenek playing 90 minutes as his side continued their unbeaten season.  

In the 2. Bundesliga, Brandon Borrello came on in the 75th minute for Fortuna Dusseldorf as they shared the points in a 2-2 stalemate with Eintracht Braunschweig on Saturday.

Aziz Behich played the full game for Kayserispor as they drew 0-0 with Gaziantep in the Turkish SuperLig.