Australia U-23's Buhagiar bags brace in Sydney's best ever AFC Asian Champions League win

Australian U-23 striker Trent Buhagiar scored a brace for Sydney FC as they triumphed 4-0 against Aaron Mooy’s Shanghai SIPG in their AFC Champions League clash overnight (AEDT).

Buhagiar helped the Sky Blues to their biggest ever AFC Champions League victory after they dispatched of Shanghai SIPG 4-0 with the Olyroo getting on the scoresheet twice.

Before Buhagiar stole the show, it was Rhyan Grant whose flick on teed up Alex Wilkinson for Sydney’s opener on 28 minutes.

A long range strike from Luke Brattan doubled the Sky Blues’ lead five minutes later before a Buhagiar double after the interval put the match beyond doubt.

Socceroos Supporters Survey Thin Banner

His first arrived in spectacular fashion when he rounded the onrushing keeper before tapping into an empty net in the 57th minute.

His second soon followed when he slotted his shot past the Shanghai custodian in the 61st minute to round off the scoring for Sydney.

Ben Folami was at the centre of the action for Melbourne Victory when he opened his account for his new club in the first half of their encounter against Thai outfit Chiangrai United.

Folami’s deft volley left the Chiangrai shot stopper stranded after he connected perfectly with Jacob Butterfield’s expert long distance pass which picked out the striker on the edge of the 18-yard area.

His first goal in Victory colours came on 27 minutes after Jake Brimmer’s penalty opened the scoring in the 8th minute.

However, a second half revival from the Thai side saw them restore parity and prevent Victory from securing their second group stage triumph in the process.

A six-goal thriller took place in group F as Brandon Wilson and Nick D’Agostino’s Perth Glory rescued a point in their 3-3 stalemate with Shanghai Shenhua.

Glory took the lead through Bruno Fornaroli on the stroke of half time before Carlo Armiento doubled their lead just before the hour mark.

A Shanghai triple only moments later saw the Chinese club go ahead for the first time in the encounter before Neil Kilkenny’s penalty ensured that Perth snatched a point from the high-octane match.