The Caltex Socceroos destiny is no longer in their hands when it comes to automatic qualification for the World Cup.
Australia now must defeat Thailand by a significant enough margin to hold off the potential challenge of Saudi Arabia in next week’s final Group B matches in AFC World Cup qualification.
The team which finishes third in the group will face a play-off against a Group A side, before an intercontinental play-off against a CONCACAF opponent.
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
1. The Saudis will play Japan at home in front of a raucous crowd a few hours after Australia’s clash with Thailand on Sept 5 in Melbourne (around 4.30am).
2. Japan have already qualified for the World Cup and so their match against the Saudis at the King Abdullah Stadium in Jeddah has less significance for them.
3. To qualify in the automatic top two spots, Australia must win against Thailand by a margin enough to overtake the Saudis (depending on their result against the Japanese).
4. Australia will therefore hope that Japan can beat, or at least draw with the Saudis and they win against the Thais.
5. If Australia and Saudi Arabia finish equal on points and goals scored and goal difference is also equal, then it will go down to a head to head (which Australia has in their favour after a win and a draw).
Aussies Abroad: Langerak keeps clean sheet while Mooy suffers defeat
There were a range of Caltex Socceroos in action across two continents, some fighting for their season and others just beginning theirs. Mat Leckie will have to wait another week to make his return from injury as he was absent from Hertha Berlin’s gallant 1-0 defeat to Bundesl
Aussies Abroad: Milligan triumphs in battle of the Aussies, Jeggo suffers defeat in Austria
There were two Caltex Socceroos in action across Europe on Saturday morning (AEDT) as Mark Milligan and Jimmy Jeggo stepped out for Hibernian and Austria Vienna respectively.... Milligan played the full 90 in Scotland as Hibs overcame Dundee in a 4-2 thriller at Dens Park. AUS
Aussies Abroad: Vukovic injured as Genk exit Europa League
It wasn’t a happy night in the UEFA Europa League for Danny Vukovic as he was stretched off in Genk’s 4-1 loss to Slavia Prague on Friday morning (AEDT). AUSSIES ABROAD: Vukovic features in top-two battle NEW DEAL: In-form Vukovic rewarded with contract extension Still sco
When to watch your Caltex Socceroos this weekend
There's plenty for Caltex Socceroos fans to sink their teeth into this weekend with our homegrown heroes gearing up for some massive matches. Mathew Leckie attempts to slay a giant in Germany, two Aussies set aside national team loyalties in Denmark and Aaron Mooy goes on the