Socceroos in the A-League: Maclaren, Goodwin and Genreau secure their sides' victories

Matchweek 13 of the A-League saw Socceroos winger Craig Goodwin and Australia U23's midfielder Denis Genreau score the winner for Adelaide and Macarthur respectively, after Jamie Maclaren left it late to net in a sixth consecutive game. 

Watch all the highlights and read about the key moments below!

Socceroos Browser Extension Thin Banner

Friday - Melbourne City 4-1 Western Sydney Wanderers 

Melbourne City turned a one-goal deficit into a 4-1 advantage to clinch a club-record sixth consecutive A-League victory, in an impressive display over Western Sydney Wanderers at AAMI Park on Friday night.

The hosts came into the contest in fourth on the A-League table but finished it in second, moving above Adelaide United and the Wanderers to go within one point of the league-leading Central Coast Mariners.

Mitch Duke teed up Bernie Ibini to open the scoring against the run of play in the first half before Craig Noone struck his first of two goals just ten minutes later to restore parity in the contest.

WATCH: Jamie Maclaren slams home his sixth goal in as many games

City went on to take control in the second 45, blitzing the Wanderers with a ten-minute masterclass which saw City go 3-1 up on 55 minutes. Andrew Nabbout opened his City scoring account by brushing a lethal Noone cross over the line off his chest before assisting the Englishman's second just minutes later as the hosts surged to a 3-1 advantage at AAMI Park.

The home side's second-half dominance was highlighted by the performances of a range of City's attacking talents, but as the clock ticked into stoppage time star striker Jamie Maclaren had yet to leave his imprint on the game.

That was until he popped up to score his 12th of the season, smashing a shot on the half-volley from Daniel Margush's punched clearance into the back of the net to wrap up City's impressive win over a fellow title contender.

The result ensured City's winning streak improved to six games, bettering the club's previous A-League record twice achieved in both the 2011/12 and 2013/14 campaigns. The Mariners' place at the top of the table is now out of their control as City move to within one point of Alen Stajcic's side with a game in hand.

MINI MATCH: Melbourne City v Western Sydney Wanderers

Sunday - Macarthur FC 1-0 Wellington Phoenix

Macarthur FC proved too strong for Wellington Phoenix as they claimed a 1-0 victory at WIN Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

A Denis Genreau goal was the difference in Wollongong on Sunday afternoon as Macarthur overcame Wellington Phoenix by the odd goal.

It took some time before the match revved into life with the first half full of a host of half chances as both sides slowly began to find their shooting boots.

A hopeful effort from Beñat Etxebarria caused a heart in mouth moment for Phoenix shot stopper Ollie Sail who adjusted well to keep out the Spaniard’s speculative halfway shot.

WATCH: Genreau makes the breakthrough for Macarthur

The second half saw both teams carve out more chances with the Bulls first to test Sail only seconds after the restart before Adam Federici got down well to deny Alex Rufer who was later ruled to be in an offside position.

The breakthrough eventually arrived through Genreau on 65 minutes with the midfielder tapping home from close range after Sail’s impromptu save from Tim Payne fell into his path.

Going a goal behind saw Wellington step up a gear as they aimed to snatch a point from the affair with Ben Waine becoming a central figure for Ufuk Talay’s side after entering the action.

However, Macarthur were able to keep the highly-prized clean sheet as they secured back-to-back A-League wins which saw them jump into third on the ladder.

MINI MATCH: Wellington Phoenix v Macarthur FC

Sunday - Adelaide United 1-0 Sydney FC

Adelaide United outlasted a fast-finishing Sydney FC to win 1-0 at Coopers Stadium on Sunday night - the club's sixth win on the bounce.

Craig Goodwin put the Reds in front on the night from the penalty spot but it was 20-year-old goalkeeper Joe Gauci who tied up the three points with a reflex save to deny Patrick Wood late in the second half.

Gauci's maiden A-League clean sheet helped the Reds clinch a sixth-straight win - a feat the club haven't achieved since the very first A-League season in 2005/06. 

Kosta Barbarouses and Goodwin were the busiest of the forwards on either side throughout the first half. The Sky Blues created chances to score but lacked the clinical edge needed to get past an Adelaide outfit on a red-hot run of form. 

WATCH: Craig Goodwin keeps his cool from the spot 

Kusini Yengi won the hosts their second-half spot kick after Luke Brattan caught the Adelaide forward's leg attempting to clear the ball inside Sydney's defensive box. Goodwin calmly converted the penalty to give the Reds a 1-0 lead held until full-time.

The Sky Blues pushed until the final whistle to find an equaliser, but Gauci's efforts at the death trumped Sydney's intention to equalise as the Reds moved into second place on the A-League table, one point off Central Coast Mariners.

MINI MATCH: Adelaide United v Sydney FC

In a quiet weekend of Aussies Abroad action, Brandon O'Neill played 90 minutes for Buriram United during their 2-0 victory over BEC Tero Sasana while Kenny Dougall also played a full match for Blackpool as they drew 2-2 with Plymouth Argyle.