Socceroo Mark Milligan may yet find himself lining up in the English Premier League this season with Crystal Palace launching a third bid for the Victory midfielder.
Socceroo Mark Milligan may yet find himself lining up in the English Premier League this season with Crystal Palace launching a third bid for the Melbourne Victory midfielder. The latest offer from the Eagles is believed to meet Victory-s valuation of their prized player said to be in the region of $1.5 million.
Both clubs will need to move swiftly if indeed a deal is to be done, with the European transfer window set to close on Tuesday morning. The potential move is complicated by the fact Milligan has flown to Brazil this afternoon for the Socceroos international against the World Cup hosts next weekend. This would impact on his ability to undergo a medical before the transfer deadline.
Milligan would not comment on the latest speculation surrounding his future, though it-s understood the 24-capped Socceroo would be open to the move should Victory choose to accept the offer, with reports suggesting he-s been offered a three-year contract.
The transfer would see the 28-year-old line up alongside compatriot Mile Jedinak, whom ironically Milligan kept out of the national starting side with his strong performances in Australia-s most recent World Cup qualifiers.
With Crystal Palace having suffered successive league defeats and exiting the League Cup upon their return to England's top-flight, the Eagles will be hoping their latest offer will be enough to get their man and club captain Jedinak has said he would welcome the move.
“I am not sure what is happening there but it would be nice to have a player of Millsy-s quality at the club.
“He's always been a talent and the last few years has really stepped his game up to another level.
"He-s really matured and offers a lot to Victory and of course also the national team. He-s got a very cool head and would be an asset to our club.”
Coincidentally, both Melbourne Victory and Crystal Palace have this week been linked with a move for France international William Gallas.
Melbourne Victory Head Coach Ange Postecoglou has confirmed his club are locked in negotiations with the former Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham defender.
"I think with players like William Gallas you can never say whether you are close or not," said Postecoglou.
"Would we be interested? Yes, of course. We-ve got a marquee spot to fill before the season and it-s got to be the right fit for us."
Palace-s Holloway has also admitted publicly he would be interested in Gallas, though there remains a doubt about the player-s fitness levels.
Former Socceroos duo appointed as Wanderers W-League coaches
Former Caltex Socceroos duo Dean Heffernan and Michael Beauchamp have been appointed head coach and assistant coach of Western Sydney Wanderers' Westfield W-League side respectively... Heffernan, who made nine appearances for the men’s outfit during season 2013/14, replaces outg
Aussies Abroad: Mixed fortunes overnight for Ryan and Degenek
There were two Caltex Socceroos in action on Wednesday morning (AEST), with significant results playing out for Mat Ryan and Milos Degenek. Ryan’s Brighton & Hove Albion suffered an agonising late loss to Tottenham Hotspur in London, with an 88th-minute Christian Eriksen goal
Aussies Abroad: Two-year Danish Superliga record falls as Mabil's Midtjylland lose to Brondby
Awer Mabil’s hopes of clinching the Danish Superliga title with FC Midtjylland suffered a blow after a 2-1 loss to Brondby earlier this morning. Marc Dal Hende opened the scoring early for Midtjylland, but a swift equaliser from Simon Hedlund and a deflected winner from Jens M