McDonald haunts old club

Qantas Socceroo striker Scott McDonald scored his second hat-trick of the season for Celtic, haunting his old club Motherwell in the process.

Qantas Socceroo striker Scott McDonald scored his second hat-trick of the season for Celtic, haunting his old club Motherwell in the process.

McDonald, who moved across from Motherwell during the off-season, again showed why his manager Gordon Strachan was keen to sign the 24-year-old Victorian, with some superb finishing.

Like he did against Dundee United a month ago, McDonald scored all of his side-s goals in the 3-0 home win that has now lifted his tally of goals to 10 for the season in all competitions and top of the Scottish Premier League charts with 8 goals.

After surprisingly being rested in Celtic midweek-s loss to Benfica in the Champions League, McDonald started his three-goal shortly before the half time break, heading home following a corner by Nakamura.

McDonald made it 2-0 in the 59th minute, when he was put through in behind the Motherwell defence and finished smartly. He rounded off the scoring late in the match after he was fouled in the penalty area; picking himself up and completing his hat-trick from the penalty spot.

His form is sure to please the Socceroos caretaker coach Rob Baan, as he looks to name a squad for next month-s final international of the year against Nigeria in London.

Elsewhere in the Scottish Premier League, Danny Invincibile played a full game, as Kilmarnock arrested a mini-slump with a 3-1 win over Hearts.

In the English Premier League, Lucas Neill played a full game, as West Ham survived a late penalty scare to draw 0-0 away at Portsmouth. Hammers keeper Richard Green saved Benjani-s penalty with minutes remaining.

It was not a good afternoon for Socceroos keeper Mark Schwarzer, who watched the ball sail past him on four occasions at Old Trafford. Schwarzer was beaten by a superb Nani shot after just three minutes that looked set to send Manchester United on their way.

Although Boro equalized shortly after, a costly blunder towards the end of the first half, allowed Wayne Rooney to score and Argentina-s Carlos Tevez added two second half goals for the 4-1 win.

In the English Championship, Patrick Kisnorbo led his Leicester City team to a 2-0 win over Barsnley, with the former South Melbourne defender getting the second goal after 30 minutes.

Richard Garcia continues to have a good run going at Hull City, playing almost the entire match in their 1-1 draw with Sheffield United. David Carney was again not included in the United squad.

In Italy, Socceroos midfielder Vince Grella was missing from Torino-s squad with injury, but his team managed a 2-0 win over Cagliari.

FC Nurnberg was brought back to reality in Germany, going down 3-1 to Wolfsburg. After a big 5-1 win the previous week, Nurnberg and its Aussie contingent would have confident of a good showing, but Wolfsburg made it six matches unbeaten with an easy win. Socceroos defender Michael Beauchamp played a full game, while his national team mate Josh Kennedy came on in the second half, but was unable to inspire a comeback. Dario Vidosic stayed on the bench.

In Holland, Socceroos midfielder Luke Wilkshire played a major role as FC Twente knocked off league leaders Feyenoord 2-0. Wilkshire supplied the crosses for the teams- two goals, the first after bursting down the right flank and providing Blaise N-Kufo with the perfect ball to loop his header home. The second came soon after the half time break when his cross from the right again, found Stein Huysegems who also headed home.

Meanwhile in Turkey it was different fortunes for Socceroo team mates Nick Carle and Mile Sterjovski at their respective Genclerbirligi teams. Nick was replaced in the 74th minute, as his team lost 2-0 away at Ankaraspor, while Mile was also replaced in the 74th minute, but his team managed a 2-0 win away at Manisaspor.