Australia U23s' brave second-half fightback fell short of claiming a spot in the AFC U23 Championship knockout stages as Korea Republic held on for a 3-2 win in China.
Needing a result to be any hope of advancing, Ante Milicic's men rallied back into contention from a three-goal deficit courtesy of goals from Nick Cowburn and Trent Buhagiar.
But a Lee Keun-ho brace either side of Han Seung-gyu's strike proved too great a mountain to climb, with Vietnam's draw against Syria in the other Group D match ensuring even a point would not have been for Australia to avoid an early exit.
STORY OF THE GAME
- After a quiet opening, Korea Republic went ahead when Lee Keun-ho bundled home amid a scramble in the box.
- Izzo came up with a pair of saves midway through the half, with Lee firing wide on the follow-up to the second.
- Korea Republic doubled their advantage late in the half through Han, while at the other end Ajdin Hrustic saw strong claims for a penalty waved away.
- George Blackwood began to threaten after the break, nodding Buhagiar's deflected cross against the outside of the post from a difficult angle.
- Australia's pressure continue to build, Kang denying Blackwood and Milislav Popovic in quick succession.
- But Milicic's men were made to pay for their profligacy as Lee completed his brace to seemingly put the result beyond doubt.
- Having gone close to forcing an own goal, Australia were rewarded for the persistence with quickfire goals from Cowburn and Buhagiar suddenly swinging the momentum.
- Blackwood was frustrated once more by Kang and later headed over in stoppage time with what proved to be Australia's final chance.
Lee Keun-ho, Korea Republic 18': 1-0
Han Seung-gyu brought down a high ball inside the area and saw his effort blocked on the line by Thomas Deng, but Lee was on hand to drive home the loose ball.
Han Seung-gyu, Korea Republic 44': 2-0
Han played a one-two on the edge of the area with Lee, kept his cool to avoid Deng's challenge and tucked a tidy finish past Izzo.
Lee Keun-ho, Korea Republic 65': 3-0
Lee was spotted unmarked through the middle and the striker made no mistake in a one-on-one.
Nick Cowburn, Australia 72': 3-1
Gersbach overlapped on the left and his low ball across the face squirmed through to the far post, where it side-footed in by Cowburn.
Trent Buhagiar, Australia 76': 3-2
The Central Coast Mariners winger won possession on the edge of the area and, after dribbling past a defender, squeezed a clever finish inside the near post.
Update to Young Socceroos squad for AFC U19 Championship
Football Federation Australia (FFA) has confirmed on Friday a change to the Young Socceroos squad that is competing at the 2018 AFC U19 Championship in Indonesia. Young Socceroos coach Ante Milicic has brought in Melbourne City FC’s Connor Metcalfe to replace Western Sydney Wa
When are your Caltex Socceroos in action this weekend?
Awer Mabil will be among the Aussies taking Caltex Socceroos form back to the club grind as Aaron Mooy braces for a huge Premier League test this weekend. Meanwhile, there's a match not to be missed in Scotland that's set to showcase several of our overseas stars. Read on t
Milicic calls for fast start to AFC U-19 Championship campaign
Ante Milicic has urged his Young Socceroos side not to waste a second at the AFC U-19 Championship as they prepare to meet Korea Republic on Friday night. A tournament-opening victory for either nation in Indonesia could prove crucial to progressing from a tricky Group C that