Key stats from Australia's impressive win at AFC U23 Championships
Australia made the ideal start at the AFC U23 Championships in China, disposing of a spirited Syria 3-1 on Thursday night.
Here's some key stats from the match.
- Despite losing the match, Syria (15) had more shots at goal than Australia (eight).
- Australia made almost double the passes than the Syrians, making 685 to 365. The Aussies passing success rate was an impressive 83.6%
- Australia’s tackle success rate was also much better than Syria’s (81.8% to 52%).
- The Australian's won 61 duels throughout the 90 minutes, compared to Syria's 54.
- Syria enjoyed a territorial advantage in the contest, spending 53.6% of the match in Australia's half.
Harry Kewell inducted into Sport Australia Hall of Fame
With 52,000 fans watching on in Stuttgart and millions on TV sets at home, a cool-headed Harry Kewell latched onto a deep cross before swiping it into the net to send the Socceroos into the knock-out stage of a World Cup for the first time. This moment of brilliance against Cr
'I've taken my game to the next level': Connor Chapman on a career-changing time in Korea
Would your 22-year-old self be brave enough to leave home and start a new life in Korea Republic? That’s exactly the path Connor Chapman took in a quest to take his game to the next level. And almost two years on his life-changing move, the Aussie boy is taking one of Asia’
When are your Caltex Socceroos in action this weekend?
Mathew Leckie could win his first minutes of the season this weekend after shaking off an injury problem to get back out on the track for Hertha Berlin. Meanwhile, there's another big Premier League test in store for Mathew Ryan, while fierce rivalries are set to play out acro
YOUR SAY: Fans decide Tim Cahill's best Caltex Socceroos moment
Australian football fans have had their say and now Tim Cahill's greatest Caltex Socceroos moment can be revealed. LEGEND: Cahill to get Caltex Socceroos send-off in Lebanon game DON'T MISS OUT: Be there when we farewell a legend Ahead of his farewell to international foot