Key stats from Australia's impressive win at AFC U23 Championships
Australia made the ideal start at the AFC U23 Championships in China, disposing of a spirited Syria 3-1 on Thursday night.
Here's some key stats from the match.
- Despite losing the match, Syria (15) had more shots at goal than Australia (eight).
- Australia made almost double the passes than the Syrians, making 685 to 365. The Aussies passing success rate was an impressive 83.6%
- Australia’s tackle success rate was also much better than Syria’s (81.8% to 52%).
- The Australian's won 61 duels throughout the 90 minutes, compared to Syria's 54.
- Syria enjoyed a territorial advantage in the contest, spending 53.6% of the match in Australia's half.
Full Countdown List: Every Socceroo to play at a FIFA World Cup
With less than three months to go until the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, we're profiling every Australian who's been to a FIFA World Cup. From the 1974 pioneers to the most recent players to represent the Caltex Socceroos at Brazil in 2014, we'll celebrate the men who have g
Caltex Socceroos’ unique link to Kontinental Hockey League Champions
The Caltex Socceroos are set to benefit from using the same facilities that helped AK Bars Kazan to the 2018 Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) Championship when the team arrives in Russia for the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ in June. AK Bars Kazan won the 2018 KHL title, known as the Ga
Jones' Dutch Cup triumph with Feyenoord
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Brad Jones has helped Feyenoord to their second Dutch Cup win in three seasons following a 3-0 win over AZ Alkmaar on Monday. Trailing AZ by eight points in the Eredivisie, goals from Nicolai Jorgenson, Robin Van Persie and Jens Toornstra secured th
Local Aussies: Cool-headed Malik eases City's injury concern
The first week of the Hyundai A-League Finals Series saw clutch performers come to the fore as the two Melbourne clubs advanced to the final four. In the latest installment of Local Aussies, we cast an eye over three homegrown products who stood tall in the Elimination Finals.