Key stats from Australia's impressive win at AFC U23 Championships
Australia made the ideal start at the AFC U23 Championships in China, disposing of a spirited Syria 3-1 on Thursday night.
Here's some key stats from the match.
- Despite losing the match, Syria (15) had more shots at goal than Australia (eight).
- Australia made almost double the passes than the Syrians, making 685 to 365. The Aussies passing success rate was an impressive 83.6%
- Australia’s tackle success rate was also much better than Syria’s (81.8% to 52%).
- The Australian's won 61 duels throughout the 90 minutes, compared to Syria's 54.
- Syria enjoyed a territorial advantage in the contest, spending 53.6% of the match in Australia's half.
Lights off, tears shed and donations given: Cahill reflects on his final swansong
After making his 108th and final appearance for the Caltex Socceroos in Australia’s 3-0 win over Lebanon on Tuesday evening, Australian football great Tim Cahill spent over two hours signing autographs and posing for photos with fans at ANZ Stadium. A few minutes before midnig
Stars align for Grant's dream Caltex Socceroos debut
Rhyan Grant’s stars are finally aligning, with a Caltex Socceroos debut clean sheet in his home city of Sydney. The Sydney FC defender has certainly had to overcome his struggles, recovering from a second ACL injury, but the months of gruelling rehab all paid off with a first
Life after Timmy: all-action Boyle emerges as new Caltex Socceroos hero
It was a fitting way for Martin Boyle to tribute the heart-felt welcome of an Australian legend. Only hours after being gifted a signed Caltex Socceroos jersey by Tim Cahill, Boyle's brace in Australia's 3-0 win against Lebanon on Tuesday night has seen him emerge as a new her
'He’s fit into the group so well': Arnie hails Boyle after eye-catching Lebanon display
Convincing Martin Boyle to play for the Caltex Socceroos was a no-brainer, according to Graham Arnold. On an evening where the Caltex Socceroos' greatest goal scorer Tim Cahill was farewelled, Boyle’s double could prove to be a changing of the guard moment for the Australian n