Key facts: Caltex Socceroos v Syria
The Caltex Socceroos and Syria will go into the second leg of their World Cup qualification play-off with it all to play for following a 1-1 draw in Malaysia on Thursday.
Robbie Kruse fired the Aussies ahead in the first half in Melaka before Omar Al Soma secured a point for Syria from the penalty spot late in the second stanza.
Australia host Syria in the return leg in Sydney on Tuesday night.
Check out some of the key facts to come out of the first-leg tie, courtesy of Opta Data.
- This was the seventh consecutive Asian World Cup Qualifying play-off that ended in a draw.
- Syria extended their unbeaten run to seven games (W2, D5), the last time they went longer without a loss was a nine-game streak from 2014 to 2015.
- This was the fifth consecutive World Cup Qualifier away from home without a win for Australia, their longest ever streak in World Cup qualification since moving to the Asian Confederation.
- Syria’s 85th minute penalty strike against Australia was the latest goal that the Socceroos have conceded since Round 3 of qualification began.
- Mathew Leckie became just the third player since Round 3 began to have scored three goals and assisted three goals, after setting up his side’s only goal in this game.
Norway v Caltex Socceroos: 4 key match ups
Bert van Marwijk’s first match in charge as Caltex Socceroos boss sees his side take on tricky European outfit Norway at the Ullevaal Stadion on Saturday, March 24 (AEDT). With a chance for his players to stake a claim for a spot on the plane to Russia in June, it’s an importa
Ultimate Guide: Caltex Socceroos vs Norway and Colombia
Caltex Socceroos coach Bert van Marwijk has assembled a 26-man squad for this month's twin friendlies that will help determine his FIFA World Cup roster. The players on show against Norway and Colombia have the chance to show the new boss what they can do as they push to squee
Elder’s FA Cup dream ended by Southampton
The fairytale run of Australian defender Callum Elder and his Wigan Athletic in England’s FA Cup is over after their quarter-final loss to Southampton on Monday morning (AEDT). Wigan, who play in League One, went down 2-0 at the DW Stadium after second-half goals from Pierre-E
Aussies Abroad: Rogic shines as Celtic held
Tom Rogic will head into Caltex Socceroos camp this week with another impressive 90 minutes under his belt as Celtic were held to a draw against Motherwell in the SPL overnight. Despite dominating the match and having double the shots at goal than their hosts, the Hoops were u