Key facts: Caltex Socceroos v Syria
The Caltex Socceroos and Syria will go into the second leg of their World Cup qualification play-off with it all to play for following a 1-1 draw in Malaysia on Thursday.
Robbie Kruse fired the Aussies ahead in the first half in Melaka before Omar Al Soma secured a point for Syria from the penalty spot late in the second stanza.
Australia host Syria in the return leg in Sydney on Tuesday night.
Check out some of the key facts to come out of the first-leg tie, courtesy of Opta Data.
- This was the seventh consecutive Asian World Cup Qualifying play-off that ended in a draw.
- Syria extended their unbeaten run to seven games (W2, D5), the last time they went longer without a loss was a nine-game streak from 2014 to 2015.
- This was the fifth consecutive World Cup Qualifier away from home without a win for Australia, their longest ever streak in World Cup qualification since moving to the Asian Confederation.
- Syria’s 85th minute penalty strike against Australia was the latest goal that the Socceroos have conceded since Round 3 of qualification began.
- Mathew Leckie became just the third player since Round 3 began to have scored three goals and assisted three goals, after setting up his side’s only goal in this game.
Family ties: Williams brothers join select group of Caltex Socceroos siblings
Next month’s friendly against Korea Republic is not only the Caltex Socceroos’ first outing since the 2019 AFC Asian Cup but looms as an extra special occasion for the Williams family. The selection of Ryan Williams – one of six potential debutants in Graham Arnold’s squad – s
Aussies Abroad: Europa League heartbreak for Amini
Mustafa Amini’s AGF were seconds away from a UEFA Europa League Playoff final, but missed out after conceding an injury-time goal from Marvin Egho in a 1-1 draw with Danish Superliga rivals Randers on Monday morning (AEST). Amini’s team had taken an away goal from their 2-1 lo
Duke replaces Ikonomidis in Caltex Socceroos squad to face Korea Republic
Perth Glory’s Chris Ikonomidis will miss the upcoming friendly international with Korea Republic after scans revealed damage to his shoulder would require surgery. Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Graham Arnold said it was unfortunate, but after consultation with the club and the p
Jedinak’s presence huge boost for Villa ahead of lucrative playoff final
If Aston Villa have one thing in their favour in Tuesday morning’s (12am AEST) Championship playoff final against Derby County, it’s the presence of Mile Jedinak. The former Caltex Socceroos skipper is back at Wembley in the widely touted as the ‘richest game in world football