Key facts: Caltex Socceroos v Syria
The Caltex Socceroos and Syria will go into the second leg of their World Cup qualification play-off with it all to play for following a 1-1 draw in Malaysia on Thursday.
Robbie Kruse fired the Aussies ahead in the first half in Melaka before Omar Al Soma secured a point for Syria from the penalty spot late in the second stanza.
Australia host Syria in the return leg in Sydney on Tuesday night.
Check out some of the key facts to come out of the first-leg tie, courtesy of Opta Data.
- This was the seventh consecutive Asian World Cup Qualifying play-off that ended in a draw.
- Syria extended their unbeaten run to seven games (W2, D5), the last time they went longer without a loss was a nine-game streak from 2014 to 2015.
- This was the fifth consecutive World Cup Qualifier away from home without a win for Australia, their longest ever streak in World Cup qualification since moving to the Asian Confederation.
- Syria’s 85th minute penalty strike against Australia was the latest goal that the Socceroos have conceded since Round 3 of qualification began.
- Mathew Leckie became just the third player since Round 3 began to have scored three goals and assisted three goals, after setting up his side’s only goal in this game.
Joeys squad for 2019 AFF U-15 Championship in Chonburi confirmed
Joeys Head Coach Trevor Morgan today confirmed the 23 players he?s selected to represent Australia at the 2019 AFF U-15 Championship in Chonburi, Thailand. Australia will take on hosts Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, and Brunei Darussalam in Group B of the competition.
Aussies Abroad: Amini's AGF share points in 'tough first game' at Hobro
Mustafa Amini?s AGF battled back to clinch a share of the points in their Danish Superliga opener against Hobro IK. Caltex Socceroos midfielder Amini was named in head coach David Nielsen?s starting line-up, while new signing Alex Gersbach missed out. Image courtesey of AGF
Aussies Abroad: Red-hot Taggart hits seven in seven, Smith's Seattle score big win
K-League top goalscorer Adam Taggart was on target again as high-flying Suwon Bluewings sunk Sangju Sangmu 2-0. The Caltex Socceroos striker has hit scorching form, scoring seven goals in seven games, to fire his Korea Republic club into finals contention. Featured image co
Aussies Abroad: Mabil helps FC Midtjylland to winning start
Awer Mabil?s 2019/20 season got off to a winning start as a late FC Midtjylland winner downed Esbjerg FB 1-0. Mikael Anderson struck as the clock ticked past 90 minutes to ensure the Wolves kicked off the new Danish Superliga campaign with three points. Feature image courte