Key facts: Caltex Socceroos v Syria
The Caltex Socceroos and Syria will go into the second leg of their World Cup qualification play-off with it all to play for following a 1-1 draw in Malaysia on Thursday.
Robbie Kruse fired the Aussies ahead in the first half in Melaka before Omar Al Soma secured a point for Syria from the penalty spot late in the second stanza.
Australia host Syria in the return leg in Sydney on Tuesday night.
Check out some of the key facts to come out of the first-leg tie, courtesy of Opta Data.
- This was the seventh consecutive Asian World Cup Qualifying play-off that ended in a draw.
- Syria extended their unbeaten run to seven games (W2, D5), the last time they went longer without a loss was a nine-game streak from 2014 to 2015.
- This was the fifth consecutive World Cup Qualifier away from home without a win for Australia, their longest ever streak in World Cup qualification since moving to the Asian Confederation.
- Syria’s 85th minute penalty strike against Australia was the latest goal that the Socceroos have conceded since Round 3 of qualification began.
- Mathew Leckie became just the third player since Round 3 began to have scored three goals and assisted three goals, after setting up his side’s only goal in this game.
Aussies Abroad: Milligan triumphs in battle of the Aussies, Jeggo suffers defeat in Austria
There were two Caltex Socceroos in action across Europe on Saturday morning (AEDT) as Mark Milligan and Jimmy Jeggo stepped out for Hibernian and Austria Vienna respectively.... Milligan played the full 90 in Scotland as Hibs overcame Dundee in a 4-2 thriller at Dens Park. AUS
Aussies Abroad: Vukovic injured as Genk exit Europa League
It wasn’t a happy night in the UEFA Europa League for Danny Vukovic as he was stretched off in Genk’s 4-1 loss to Slavia Prague on Friday morning (AEDT). AUSSIES ABROAD: Vukovic features in top-two battle NEW DEAL: In-form Vukovic rewarded with contract extension Still sco
When to watch your Caltex Socceroos this weekend
There's plenty for Caltex Socceroos fans to sink their teeth into this weekend with our homegrown heroes gearing up for some massive matches. Mathew Leckie attempts to slay a giant in Germany, two Aussies set aside national team loyalties in Denmark and Aaron Mooy goes on the
In-form Vukovic earns Genk contract extension
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Danny Vukovic has been rewarded for his excellent form with a two-season contract extension at Belgian club KRC Genk. The 33-year-old's deal was due to expire at the end of the campaign but the Pro League leaders have taken up their option to extend