HONDURAS EXPLAINER: Meet the Caltex Socceroos’ CONCACAF playoff opposition
Honduras have been confirmed as the Caltex Socceroos' opponents in next month's intercontinental playoff for a place at Russia 2018.
Here’s what we know about this Central American nation’s national team.
* Honduras are 74th in the latest FIFA rankings
* They are coached by a Colombian - 64-year-old Jorge Luis Pinto - who famously guided Costa Rica to first place in the so-called "Group of Death" at the 2014 World Cup, beating Uruguay and Italy and drawing with England.
* They then beat Greece on penalties in the round of 16 before losing - again on penalties - to the Netherlands in the quarter-finals in Brazil.
* Honduras have been to three World Cups - including the last two - but have never made it past the group stages.
* Former stars include Jose Maradiaga, Gilberto Yearwood, Amado Guevara, Carlos Pavon
* Nickname: Los Catrachos
Australia hit six against Chinese Taipei to set up Korea Republic decider
The Australian U-23 national team are one step closer to the 2020 AFC U-23 Championship after defeating Chinese Taipei 6-0 on Sunday evening. Having beaten Cambodia by the same scoreline in their Group H opener on Saturday morning, Graham Arnold’s side dominated proceedings ag
Australia make strong start in Phnom Penh on road to Thailand and Tokyo
The Australian U-23 National Team got their 2020 AFC U-23 Championship Qualification campaign off to a strong start in Cambodia on Saturday morning (AEDT), recording a solid 6-0 win over their hosts in Phnom Penh. From the outset Australia looked well prepared for their Cambo
'These boys are ready': Arnold confident ahead of AFC U-23 qualifiers
Graham Arnold was at the helm the last time an Australian team qualified for the Olympic Games with a squad skippered by Mark Milligan and containing a host of players who would go on to become Caltex Socceroos. Now 11 years on from those 2008 Games, Arnold leads a new crop of
'We have to thank Australia for giving us this opportunity': The magnificent mix of the Caltex Socceroos
Australia is a melting pot, and nothing illustrates that more than the country's national team, the Caltex Socceroos. Harmony Day, held each year on March 21, is Australia’s celebration of cultural diversity.