Heartbreak for Rogic in Old Firm classic

Socceroo Tom Rogic scored an extra-time equaliser but blazed his penalty in the shootout over the crossbar as Celtic were knocked out in the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup by Rangers on Sunday.

The Glascow club stunned their Old Firm rivals 5-4 on penalties after a pulsating 2-2 draw at Hampden Park to book their place in the final, with Rogic missing the decisive spot-kick.

Having come on as a late substitute there was jubilation for the 23-year-old when he squared the ledger for Celtic in the 106th minute with a clinical finish.

However this was soon followed by bitter disappointment as the midfielder stepped up to take his team's seventh penalty with the tie-breaker in the balance at 5-4. 

Needing to convert to keep his side in the clash Rogic sent his left-footed effort sailing high and wide of the goal, as the Bhoys bowed out in the last four for the second year in a row.

Former Celtic striker Kenny Miller gave Rangers the lead after 15 minutes, scoring an instinctive finish after Hoops captain Scott Brown deflected a cross into his path.

Patrick Roberts spurned a golden opportunity to level the scores, hitting the side netting with the goal wide open, but Celtic equalised shortly after half-time through Eric Sviatchenko.

The substitute got up highest to head in a Roberts corner after 49 minutes and Leigh Griffiths wasted a good chance by shooting off-target as the game drifted into extra-time.

Barrie McKay drew first blood in the added period, turning into a pocket of space 25 yards out and arrowing an unstoppable drive into the top-right corner. 

However Rogic fired home a second Celtic equaliser in the second period of extra-time after getting on the end of Kieran Tierney's cutback.

The former A-League star had a chance to win the match in the 110th minute too, bringing down a chipped pass in the box but his attempted dink was saved by Rangers goalkeeper Wesley Foderingham.

Celtic striker Leigh Griffiths would also go very close to scoring a winner in the final minute of extra time, hitting the bar with a direct free-kick, but penalties were required.

After both teams had netted four of their first six spot kicks, it was Rogic who followed up Nicky Law's calm finish by blazing his kick well over the crossbar to spark wild celebrations from Rangers' half of the Hampden crowd.

Mark Warburton's side - who were recently promoted back to the Scottish Premiership for next season - will face fellow Championship side Hibernian in the final after they beat Dundee United 4-2 on penalties following a 0-0 draw in Saturday's semi-final.