Football Federation Australia CEO David Gallop hopes to know more in “the next 48 hours”, as security concerns continue to surround the Socceroos' upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifier against Bangladesh in Dhaka.
The Socceroos are due to play in the Bangladesh capital on November 17 but are hoping to have the fixture moved to a neutral location due to concerns around terrorism in the country.
Gallop confirmed the issue has been escalated to the highest level of FIFA’s security department and are now waiting on more information from the sport’s governing body.
“The option of a neutral venue is there. It’s not one that FIFA has offered to us at the moment,” Gallop told reporters on Wednesday.
“We have initially said that would be our preference and that was rejected but in the last couple of days FIFA have elevated the issue.
“They are now realising they need to put their focus on it and come back to us with some answers on the assurances that we’re looking for.”
The Australian Cricket team recently cancelled their four-week tour to Bangladesh due to the safety concerns.
Ange Postecoglou’s side is currently second in their qualifying group and three points against Bangladesh could be crucial.
Australia cruised past Bangladesh 5-0 in September at nib Stadium in Perth.
“For us there’s three points at stake and there are broader ramifications around our qualification for the FIFA World Cup in Russia which we have to take into account.
“But paramount to us is the safety of our players and coaching staff," added Gallop.
“We aren’t treating this matter lightly and we’ll get as much info as we can get before we make a decision.”
While the FFA will assess all factors before deciding on whether they would send the team to Bangladesh, Gallop admitted no player would be forced to travel there if they didn’t feel comfortable.
“It’s a decision for the organisation but it’s also going to be a decision for individuals. No one is going to compel anyone to do anything,” he said.
Coach Ange Postecoglou added: “Wherever we travel we have a real good security presence which the players and staff are really confident in.
“Anyone who’s travelled with us will know that.
"We go to many places that could be seen as a security risk and our processes are all very thorough and meticulous and the players and staff all have a great deal of faith in that.”
Rukavytsya ready to relive 'unbelievable' World Cup experience
Caltex Socceroos striker Nikita Rukavytsya is hoping history repeats itself as he zeroes in on an unexpected FIFA World Cup berth. The 30-year-old flyer was a surprise recall for last year's do-or-die play-offs against Syria and Honduras having spent the previous four years in
Opponent Watch: Celtic starlet set to lock horns with Rogic
Tom Rogic's superb form could hit a grinding halt in Oslo if a Celtic team-mate has his way in the international friendly between the Caltex Socceroos and Norway. Elsewhere, Colombia are set to have some additional motivation for next week's match in London while a FIFA World
Brillante upbeat over Caltex Socceroos' midfield battle
Recalled midfielder Josh Brillante admits it won't be easy to achieve redemption for his late exclusion from the Caltex Socceroos' last FIFA World Cup squad. Brillante was a member of Australia's extended roster for Brazil 2014 but was unable to force his way into the final 23
Socceroos Spotlight: Luongo, Behich take staggering stats into Norway friendly
Bert van Marwijk will be blessed with the arrival of several in-form stars as his squad assembles in Oslo for the first of two friendlies. AFC Asian Cup winners Massimo Luongo and Aziz Behich are among those at the peak of their powers for the new Caltex Socceroos' coach's fir