FFA Satisfied With Security Arrangements
Football Federation Australia CEO John O'Neill today said he was satisfied with the security arrangements in place ahead of the Socceroos World Cup qualifier against Uruguay in Montevideo on 12 November.
Football Federation Australia CEO John O'Neill today said he was satisfied with the security arrangements in place ahead of the Socceroos World Cup qualifier against Uruguay in Montevideo on 12 November. Mr O'Neill had previously expressed concern due to some unsavoury incidents that occurred last time the team was in Uruguay four years ago. After a series of meetings and a letter of assurance from the Uruguayan Football Association President, Mr O'Neill said today that everything was in place ahead of the team's arrival. "As part of our philosophy to leave no stone unturned to get to the world cup we have embarked on ensuring that appropriate arrangements are in place ahead of our World Cup qualifier," said Mr O'Neill. "We have had very positive meetings with representatives of both the Australian Government and their counterparts from Uruguay. Ambassador Peter Hussin from the Australian Embassy in Argentina has been extremely helpful to us." "In addition FIFA have pledged to take an active role and the Uruguayan Football Association have also been extremely supportive." "Our Team Manager Gary Moretti has been to Uruguay and met with people such as the Minister for the Interior, Chief of Police and the Mayor who have pledged their support." "All of the security arrangements are now in place and we expect that there will no complications. We'd like to thank all of those involved and look forward to their continued support."
Aussies Abroad: Vukovic’s Genk beaten in battle of Belgium’s top two
Danny Vukovic’s Genk remain well clear on top of the table despite falling to a rare defeat in Belgium against Club Brugge overnight. In a meeting of the competition’s top two at the Jan Breydel Stadion, Genk were beaten the fired-up home side, going down 3-1. There was lit
Aussies Abroad: Ryan’s Brighton through to Quarter-Finals while Milligan, Giannou pick up strong results
There were a handful of Caltex Socceroos in action on Sunday morning (AEDT) while some key figures were rested as their clubs negotiated cup ties. Firstly to Europe where Mark Milligan played a full 90 at the heart of Hibernian’s midfield as they welcomed new manager Danny Hec
Aussies Abroad: Luongo gallant in Watford defeat
Caltex Socceroos midfielder Massimo Luongo can turn his attention to the EFLChampionship after QPR crashed out of the FA Cup on Saturday morning (AEDT). The 26-year-old played the full 90 minutes in QPR’s 1-0 loss to Watford at Loftus Road, in a tight game where each side cou
When to watch your Caltex Socceroos this weekend
There's FA Cup action on the cards for two Australians this weekend as another prepares for a massive top-of-the-table encounter. Multiple players are involved in matches with major title ramifications, while Mark Milligan has a new manager to impress in Scotland. Read on t