Caltex Socceroos playmaker Aaron Mooy goes head-to-head with France’s chief midfielder N’Golo Kante in the Premier League on Wednesday morning (AEDT) as Huddersfield Town hosts Chelsea.
The match-up could not only decide the outcome of the midweek EPL clash but is an early preview to what to expect come the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia when the two nations meet in Group C.
Both players are crucial to their team’s success but how does Mooy’s numbers compare to the two-time Premier League winner Kante.
We’ve taken a look at the Opta stats to find out.
- Mooy has played all 16 of the Terriers’ league games this season, with Kante featuring in 13 for Antonio Conte’s Blues.
- The Aussie star has found the net twice and has an assist, with Kante’s contribution just a solitary goal.
- When it comes to shots Mooy just edges it with six compared to Kante’s four, although they both have three shots on target.
- While Mooy has completed more passes than Kante (875 to 847), the Frenchman has been more accurate. Kante’s passing accuracy is 87%, compared to Mooy’s 81%.
- Mooy has showed more creativity during his first season in the EPL, creating 23 chances for his teammates, with Kante carving out 19.
- Tackling is a key component for any good midfielder. While Mooy has made four more tackles than Kante (51 to 47), the Chelsea man has won more of his tackles, 35 to 30 for Mooy.
- But Mooy has been more effective in one-on-one duels. The Australian star may have been involved in 12 less duels (134 to 146) than Kante but he’s still won more, 76 to 75.
- Kante is the king of interceptions between the two, making 27 compared to just 17 for Mooy.
- Mooy has been fouled more times than Kante, with the Huddersfield Town man earning 10 free-kicks for his side compared to five for the Blues midfielder.
Young Socceroos set for kick off in 2018 SBS Cup
A selection of Australia’s finest U18 footballers commence their 2018 SBS Cup campaign in Japan tomorrow evening. Ante Milicic’s side take on the host nation at Fujieda Stadium at 7.30pm kick off (AEST). AUSSIES ABROAD: Maclaren, Vukovic impress in Europe READ: Why Rene
Instant MLS impression a promising sign for Brad Smith
Brad Smith played just over four hours of football for Bournemouth last season. But it took 73 minutes for the Caltex Socceroos fullback to claim accord with new club Seattle Sounders after an impressive Major League Soccer debut yesterday. AUSSIES ABROAD: Maclaren, Vukovic
'It feels like I've never been away': Jamie Maclaren's relief after summer in the dark
From an initial FIFA World Cup™ omission to constant uncertainty over his future, it’s been a difficult summer for Jamie Maclaren. However, after making his first start of the season for Hibernian yesterday, the Caltex Socceroos striker feels right back at home in Scottish Pre