Socceroos superstar Tim Cahill revealed there was a late offer from David Moyes' club Real Sociedad before he announced he'd join Chinese Super League club Shanghai Shenhua.
Just days after helping Australia lift the Asian Cup, Cahill announced on Tuesday morning in Sydney he was heading to China after parting ways with MLS club New York Red Bulls.
The Socceroos greatest-ever goal-scorer had offers from all over the world including England, Qatar, UAE and China.
But after speaking to some influential people over the last 24 hours, he decided Shanghai was the best place for the next stage of his illustrious career.
"I've been on the phone to (former Everton manager and Real Sociedad boss) David Moyes, I spoke with (former Arsenal and New York star) Thierry Henry and also the chairman Bill Kenright at Everton and (Socceroos coach) Ange (Postecoglou) this morning," Cahill said on Fox Sports.
"I've made the decision purely because I've played in the Premier League and did really well and it was a massive compliment to get the phone calls I did last night and to speak to Moyes about possibly going to La Liga.
"I've done the Premier League, I've done America. New York was amazing for me...(but) China is a growing market in football.
"You see in the (Asian Cup quarter-final) game that we played against China, millions of people watched it and I'm someone who is embracing culture and a different aspect of life.
"I'm at an age where I want to give something back to football and still play at a high level...it's all about doing what I want to do as footballer and trying different leagues and I think it's exciting.
"To still be in demand and have the offers I've had is special but this will be massive for me as a player on and off the park."
Cahill said he had talks with Sydney FC officials after last year’s World Cup "but as far as offers, there was nothing".
“I can openly say that Tony Pignata (Sydney FC CEO) is a gentleman, he did reach out after the World Cup but realistic offers there were none,” the 35-year-old said.
“I’m an ambassador for Australia and I want to make sure the kids know I’m following my dreams.
“To know I could have gone back to the Premier League, La Liga and things like that…everyone talks about money and things like that but I’m at a different stage of my career. “
Having played at three World Cups and helping Australia win their first major piece of silverware at the Asian Cup, there are some suggestions Cahill may opt bow out of international football on a high.
Asked about his Socceroos future, Cahill said: “My plans will be to support the boss.
“My vision for the last 14 months was to be a team player. It’s never been about me.
“The boss knows my plans for the national team. I’m always there for him on and off the park. I’ll always leave that decision to him, someone who has changed the footprint of football in Australia.”
Cahill was adamant his decision to head to China wasn’t financial but more about helping to grow the game in that highly developing market.
“I’ve never, ever chased the money. If I did I would have been in Qatar or China four years ago,” he said.
“I’ll make an impact in China, I promise you, on the pitch.
“China is a growing market in football. I’m somebody that embraces culture and different aspects of life. I asked for grass roots. I asked for a project. I asked for a vision.
“I sat with my two boys and I told them about China ... the cultural differences, where we’re going to be living. They’re excited.”
Degenek not taking his foot off the gas
Twelve months ago, Caltex Socceroos defender Milos Degenek was playing in Japan — now, he’s tearing up Serbia’s SuperLiga, having been named in the league’s best eleven for the first half of the season. It’s a credit to Degenek, 24, who signed with Red Star Belgrade in July
Degenek named in Serbian Superliga's best XI
Caltex Socceroos defender Milos Degenek has been named in the Serbian Superliga’s best eleven players of the first half of the season after his performances for Red Star Belgrade. AUSSIES ABROAD: Sainsbury denies former club Inter in first UCL start READ MORE: Where you can w
FFA to conduct additional injury assessment with Aaron Mooy
Football Federation Australia (FFA) acknowledges Huddersfield Town’s statement regarding Aaron Mooy released on Thursday morning (AEDT). Due to the significance of the AFC Asian Cup to the Caltex Socceroos, FFA will proceed with a plan to deploy its High Performance Coordina
Aussies Abroad: Rogic and Vukovic progress to Europa League Round of 32
The Europa League Round of 32 will have an Aussie flavour after Tom Rogic and Danny Vukovic both sealed their progression to the knockout stage of Europe’s second-tier competition. Rogic played 90 minutes as Celtic did it the hard way, their 2-1 loss at the hands of FC Salzbur