The Caltex Socceroos will be aiming to finish above Peru in Group C after being drawn alongside the South American nation for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Here's what you need to know about the side that dramatically beat New Zealand to book the last available place in Russia.
PERU (Pot 2)
- How they qualified: Winner of the CONMEBOL-OFC Zone play-off (over New Zealand)
- Participations including 2018: 5 (FIFA World Cup quarter-finalists once)
- Coach: Ricardo Gareca (former Argentina international, widely travelled coach in Americas)
- Three key players: Jefferson Farfan (Lokomotiv Moscow), Renato Tapia (Feyenoord), Paolo Guerrero (Flamengo)
- One of the original participants in 1930, Peru have qualified for their fifth World Cup after beating New Zealand in the play-offs. It’s their first appearance since 1982, which is the biggest gap of years (36) between participations at the World Cup for any of the 32 teams qualified for the 2018 tournament.
- Peru’s only previous World Cup outside the Americas was in 1982 in Spain where they didn’t go past the first round (D2 L1). In fact, they are winless in their last six games at the World Cup (D2 L4), with their last win in the tournament coming nearly 40 years ago, on 11th June 1978 against Iran (4-1).
- Peru have faced the eventual World Cup winner in each of their four previous World Cup appearances (Uruguay in 1930, Brazil in 1970, Argentina in 1978, Italy in 1982).
- Teófilo Cubillas has scored 10 and assisted two of Peru’s 19 goals at the World Cup (63%).
- This will be Ricardo Gareca’s first World Cup as manager. He has taken Peru to the knockout stages of both previous major tournaments (Copa America semi-finals in 2015, quarter-finals in 2016).
For ticket information, head to FIFA's website - www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/index
Aussies Abroad: Milligan triumphs in battle of the Aussies, Jeggo suffers defeat in Austria
There were two Caltex Socceroos in action across Europe on Saturday morning (AEDT) as Mark Milligan and Jimmy Jeggo stepped out for Hibernian and Austria Vienna respectively.... Milligan played the full 90 in Scotland as Hibs overcame Dundee in a 4-2 thriller at Dens Park. AUS
Aussies Abroad: Vukovic injured as Genk exit Europa League
It wasn’t a happy night in the UEFA Europa League for Danny Vukovic as he was stretched off in Genk’s 4-1 loss to Slavia Prague on Friday morning (AEDT). AUSSIES ABROAD: Vukovic features in top-two battle NEW DEAL: In-form Vukovic rewarded with contract extension Still sco
When to watch your Caltex Socceroos this weekend
There's plenty for Caltex Socceroos fans to sink their teeth into this weekend with our homegrown heroes gearing up for some massive matches. Mathew Leckie attempts to slay a giant in Germany, two Aussies set aside national team loyalties in Denmark and Aaron Mooy goes on the
In-form Vukovic earns Genk contract extension
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Danny Vukovic has been rewarded for his excellent form with a two-season contract extension at Belgian club KRC Genk. The 33-year-old's deal was due to expire at the end of the campaign but the Pro League leaders have taken up their option to extend