The Caltex Socceroos will come up against one of Europe's finest midfielders after being drawn with Denmark in Group C of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Here's what you need to know about the world's 12th-ranked nation.
DENMARK (Pot 3)
- How they qualified: Play-off winner in UEFA (over Ireland) after runners-up in Group E in UEFA’s preliminary competition
- Participations including 2018: 5 (FIFA World Cup quarter-finalists once)
- Coach: Aga Hareide (former Norwegian international with extensive club coaching experience in Scandinavia)
- Three key players: Christian Eriksen (Tottenham), Thomas Delaney (Werder Bremen), Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester City)
- Denmark qualified for their fifth World Cup after knocking out the Republic of Ireland in the play-offs. It’s their first appearance since 2010.
- Denmark have made it out of the group stages in three of their four previous appearances but have never progressed further than the quarter-finals (1998).
- Only two of Denmark’s 16 games at the World Cup have ended in draws (W8 L6). Meanwhile, they have kept only one clean sheet in their last 11 World Cup games, against France in 2002 (2-0).
- All 27 of Denmark’s goals at the World Cup have been scored from inside the box.
- Top scorer (11) and assist provider (3) for Denmark during the qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup, Christian Eriksen was directly involved in 56% of his team’s goals. Six of his 11 goals came from outside the box.
- This will be Åge Hareide’s first major tournament as manager. The Norwegian will attempt to become the second manager to take Denmark past the round of 16 after Bo Johansson in 1998.
For ticket information, head to FIFA's website - www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/index
Duke replaces Ikonomidis in Caltex Socceroos squad to face Korea Republic
Perth Glory’s Chris Ikonomidis will miss the upcoming friendly international with Korea Republic after scans revealed damage to his shoulder would require surgery. Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Graham Arnold said it was unfortunate, but after consultation with the club and the p
Jedinak’s presence huge boost for Villa ahead of lucrative playoff final
If Aston Villa have one thing in their favour in Tuesday morning’s (12am AEST) Championship playoff final against Derby County, it’s the presence of Mile Jedinak. The former Caltex Socceroos skipper is back at Wembley in the widely touted as the ‘richest game in world football
Aussies Abroad: Rogic’s Celtic make history after Scottish Cup final triumph
Tom Rogic’s Celtic has defeated Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final overnight to complete a remarkable ‘Treble’ and confirm themselves as the undisputed kings of Scottish football. The Bhoys were made to work hard for the win at Hampden Park though, falling behind early in the se
Caltex Socceroos defender Behich heading back to Turkey
Caltex Socceroos defender Aziz Behich has made a move back to Turkey, joining İstanbul Başakşehir FK on a three-year deal. After being unable to break into Mark van Bommel’s PSV side in the Eredivisie, the 28-year-old left-back has decided to join the Istanbul-based outfit whi