History is well and truly in the Caltex Socceroos favour as they look to book their spot at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
With a phenomenal home record in World Cup Qualifiers that has seen them go undefeated since 2008, Australia will be firm favourites when they tackle Honduras on Wednesday night.
PREVIEW: Caltex Socceroos v Honduras
Here are five fast facts ahead of the decisive second leg at Stadium Australia.
- Neither side could score in the first leg, though the Caltex Socceroos have scored one goal and conceded none in each of their previous two Intercontinental play-offs on home turf.
- The Caltex Socceroos are undefeated in their last 21 World Cup Qualifiers on home turf (W18, D3), last losing in 2008 to China 1-0.
- Honduras are undefeated in their last six World Cup Qualification games (W2, D4), the last time they went longer without a loss in their quest for a World Cup berth was a seven-game stretch across 2012 and 2013 (W4, D3).
- Australia have been fouled on 20 or more occasions in each of their last two World Cup Qualification games after not winning so many in any of their previous 19 qualifiers.
- Rommel Quioto has scored a goal in two of his last four games for Honduras, though neither of those strikes came away from home.
Australia hit six against Chinese Taipei to set up Korea Republic decider
The Australian U-23 national team are one step closer to the 2020 AFC U-23 Championship after defeating Chinese Taipei 6-0 on Sunday evening. Having beaten Cambodia by the same scoreline in their Group H opener on Saturday morning, Graham Arnold’s side dominated proceedings ag
Australia make strong start in Phnom Penh on road to Thailand and Tokyo
The Australian U-23 National Team got their 2020 AFC U-23 Championship Qualification campaign off to a strong start in Cambodia on Saturday morning (AEDT), recording a solid 6-0 win over their hosts in Phnom Penh. From the outset Australia looked well prepared for their Cambo
'These boys are ready': Arnold confident ahead of AFC U-23 qualifiers
Graham Arnold was at the helm the last time an Australian team qualified for the Olympic Games with a squad skippered by Mark Milligan and containing a host of players who would go on to become Caltex Socceroos. Now 11 years on from those 2008 Games, Arnold leads a new crop of
'We have to thank Australia for giving us this opportunity': The magnificent mix of the Caltex Socceroos
Australia is a melting pot, and nothing illustrates that more than the country's national team, the Caltex Socceroos. Harmony Day, held each year on March 21, is Australia’s celebration of cultural diversity.