History is well and truly in the Caltex Socceroos favour as they look to book their spot at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
With a phenomenal home record in World Cup Qualifiers that has seen them go undefeated since 2008, Australia will be firm favourites when they tackle Honduras on Wednesday night.
PREVIEW: Caltex Socceroos v Honduras
Here are five fast facts ahead of the decisive second leg at Stadium Australia.
- Neither side could score in the first leg, though the Caltex Socceroos have scored one goal and conceded none in each of their previous two Intercontinental play-offs on home turf.
- The Caltex Socceroos are undefeated in their last 21 World Cup Qualifiers on home turf (W18, D3), last losing in 2008 to China 1-0.
- Honduras are undefeated in their last six World Cup Qualification games (W2, D4), the last time they went longer without a loss in their quest for a World Cup berth was a seven-game stretch across 2012 and 2013 (W4, D3).
- Australia have been fouled on 20 or more occasions in each of their last two World Cup Qualification games after not winning so many in any of their previous 19 qualifiers.
- Rommel Quioto has scored a goal in two of his last four games for Honduras, though neither of those strikes came away from home.
Social media reacts to the Socceroos' last-gasp victory over Syria
The Socceroos booked a spot in the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019™ knockout stages on Wednesday morning (AEDT) following a dramatic 3-2 victory over Syria, with the thrilling contest in Al Ain providing plenty of talking points. Stunning strikes from Awer Mabil and Tom Rogic, plus a s
Gallery: Best pics from Socceroos' win over Syria
The Socceroos made it back-to-back wins at the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019™ after their thrilling 3-2 win over Syria in Al Ain on Wednesday morning (AEDT). Tom Rogic scored a stoppage-time winner to ensure second spot in Group B for Graham Arnold’s side, after earlier goals f