History is well and truly in the Caltex Socceroos favour as they look to book their spot at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
With a phenomenal home record in World Cup Qualifiers that has seen them go undefeated since 2008, Australia will be firm favourites when they tackle Honduras on Wednesday night.
PREVIEW: Caltex Socceroos v Honduras
Here are five fast facts ahead of the decisive second leg at Stadium Australia.
- Neither side could score in the first leg, though the Caltex Socceroos have scored one goal and conceded none in each of their previous two Intercontinental play-offs on home turf.
- The Caltex Socceroos are undefeated in their last 21 World Cup Qualifiers on home turf (W18, D3), last losing in 2008 to China 1-0.
- Honduras are undefeated in their last six World Cup Qualification games (W2, D4), the last time they went longer without a loss in their quest for a World Cup berth was a seven-game stretch across 2012 and 2013 (W4, D3).
- Australia have been fouled on 20 or more occasions in each of their last two World Cup Qualification games after not winning so many in any of their previous 19 qualifiers.
- Rommel Quioto has scored a goal in two of his last four games for Honduras, though neither of those strikes came away from home.
Aussies Abroad weekend preview: Jones targets silverware in KNVB Cup showdown
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Brad Jones is 90 minutes away from adding another major trophy to his growing collection of silverware in the Netherlands. His nerves will be shared by his compatriots in the Championship, where two international team-mates are set to go head-to-hea
55 days to go: Dave Harding's FIFA World Cup story
There are fewer than two months until the 2018 FIFA World Cup and, as part of the run-up to Russia, we are profiling every Australian player who's been to the tournament. Today in our countdown is Dave Harding, a midfielder who was part of the history-making 1974 squad. REA
Ryan’s classy gesture for young Brighton fan
Mat Ryan’s generosity knows no bounds with the Caltex Socceroos gloveman making the day of a young Brighton and Hove Albion fan following the clash with Tottenham on Wednesday (AEST). The Aussie shot-stopper spotted a young Seagulls fan in the stands and presented him with his
Aussies Abroad: captain Sainsbury in big clash in Switzerland
Caltex Socceroos defender Trent Sainsbury continues to rack up some crucial game time ahead of the FIFA World Cup, playing another full game for Grasshopper Zurich in Switzerland. Sainsbury, who was captain for the match, was excellent for his side but was unable to help them