In Tim Cahill’s 100th appearance, the Caltex Socceroos have outclassed world number four Chile only to draw 1-1 in an entertaining final group B game at the Confederations Cup in Russia.
At Moscow's Spartak Stadium, the Aussie display was energetic and full of intent throughout, but the result wasn’t enough to make the top two in the group, meaning their FIFA Confederations Cup campaign is now over.
In Cahill’ 100th the green and gold put on a display of courage and class to shock one of the world’s powers in Chile, who looked second best for most of their encounter in Moscow.
GAME IN SUMMARY
· Australia were brilliant in the first half. Pressing Chile incessantly, up for the challenge and defending smartly, they outclassed the South Americans and deservedly went to the break a goal to the good.
· Chile had a penalty shout in the first half but the VAR ruled it out.
· Tim Cahill lead from the front with a display that belied his 37 years – he set the tone early with his pressing and fierce tackling before he was subbed off just before the hour mark.
· Chile equalised shortly after Cahill left the pitch on his big day.
· Australia should’ve retaken the lead on 72 minutes but sub Jamie Maclaren missed from right in front.
James Troisi Australia, 41’: 1-0
Australia’s opener summed up their first half. Superb pressing forced a turnover inside the Chile half, and a free Troisi kept his cool when the ball fell to him in the box to calmly dink the ball over Claudio Bravo.
Martin Rodriguez Chile, 66’: 1-1
A scrappy goal after a heading duel went Chile’s way saw the ball fall to Rodriguez in front of goal and he couldn’t miss, poking the ball past Ryan.
Aussies Abroad: Nabbout, Urawa Red Diamonds win Emperors Cup final
Andrew Nabbout emerged an Emperors Cup Final winner with Urawa Red Diamonds after the J-League outfit defeated Vegalta Sendai 1-0 yesterday evening. Nabbout was an unused substitute as the Reds clinched the trophy thanks to an early strike from Tomoya Ugajin. It is Urawa’s
'Amazing reward': Cahill to feature in FIFA World Football Museum
A pair of Tim Cahill’s boots will join items like the FIFA World Cup trophy, match balls from some of football’s biggest occasions and rare match-worn shirts in FIFA’s World Football Museum in Switzerland. The Caltex Socceroos legend revealed on Instagram on Sunday morning (AE
Boyle given 'all clear' following 'nasty collision'
Caltex Socceroos attacker Martin Boyle has been given the “all clear” following a head knock in Hibernian’s Scottish Premiership win at Hamilton Academical on Sunday morning (AEDT). Boyle needed lengthy treatment before half time after clashing with Hamilton’s Gary Woods and s
Aussies Abroad: Rogic helps Celtic to big win, Mooy suffers late loss
Caltex Socceroos midfielder Tom Rogic provided an assist as Celtic thumped Kilmarnock 5-1 to leapfrog their opponents and move to the top of the Scottish Premiership table. But Huddersfield Town suffered a heartbreaking defeat, with Arsenal needing a late moment of magic to do