In Tim Cahill’s 100th appearance, the Caltex Socceroos have outclassed world number four Chile only to draw 1-1 in an entertaining final group B game at the Confederations Cup in Russia.
At Moscow's Spartak Stadium, the Aussie display was energetic and full of intent throughout, but the result wasn’t enough to make the top two in the group, meaning their FIFA Confederations Cup campaign is now over.
In Cahill’ 100th the green and gold put on a display of courage and class to shock one of the world’s powers in Chile, who looked second best for most of their encounter in Moscow.
GAME IN SUMMARY
· Australia were brilliant in the first half. Pressing Chile incessantly, up for the challenge and defending smartly, they outclassed the South Americans and deservedly went to the break a goal to the good.
· Chile had a penalty shout in the first half but the VAR ruled it out.
· Tim Cahill lead from the front with a display that belied his 37 years – he set the tone early with his pressing and fierce tackling before he was subbed off just before the hour mark.
· Chile equalised shortly after Cahill left the pitch on his big day.
· Australia should’ve retaken the lead on 72 minutes but sub Jamie Maclaren missed from right in front.
James Troisi Australia, 41’: 1-0
Australia’s opener summed up their first half. Superb pressing forced a turnover inside the Chile half, and a free Troisi kept his cool when the ball fell to him in the box to calmly dink the ball over Claudio Bravo.
Martin Rodriguez Chile, 66’: 1-1
A scrappy goal after a heading duel went Chile’s way saw the ball fall to Rodriguez in front of goal and he couldn’t miss, poking the ball past Ryan.
Aussies Abroad: Milligan triumphs in battle of the Aussies, Jeggo suffers defeat in Austria
There were two Caltex Socceroos in action across Europe on Saturday morning (AEDT) as Mark Milligan and Jimmy Jeggo stepped out for Hibernian and Austria Vienna respectively.... Milligan played the full 90 in Scotland as Hibs overcame Dundee in a 4-2 thriller at Dens Park. AUS
Aussies Abroad: Vukovic injured as Genk exit Europa League
It wasn’t a happy night in the UEFA Europa League for Danny Vukovic as he was stretched off in Genk’s 4-1 loss to Slavia Prague on Friday morning (AEDT). AUSSIES ABROAD: Vukovic features in top-two battle NEW DEAL: In-form Vukovic rewarded with contract extension Still sco
When to watch your Caltex Socceroos this weekend
There's plenty for Caltex Socceroos fans to sink their teeth into this weekend with our homegrown heroes gearing up for some massive matches. Mathew Leckie attempts to slay a giant in Germany, two Aussies set aside national team loyalties in Denmark and Aaron Mooy goes on the
In-form Vukovic earns Genk contract extension
Caltex Socceroos goalkeeper Danny Vukovic has been rewarded for his excellent form with a two-season contract extension at Belgian club KRC Genk. The 33-year-old's deal was due to expire at the end of the campaign but the Pro League leaders have taken up their option to extend