AIA Vitality MiniRoos was launched this week by FFA CEO David Gallop, along with Socceroos legend & AIA Vitality MiniRoos Ambassador Brett Emerton, Westfield Matildas & AIA Vitality MiniRoos Ambassador Steph Catley and current Socceroo & recent AFC Asian Cup winner Tomi Juric.
Designed for kids of all abilities, aged 4 – 11 years, the nation-wide initiative uses short, game-based sessions to introduce the sport of football to newcomers in an inclusive way. It focuses on learning new skills, being active, making life-long friends and, potentially, unearthing the next generation of Socceroos or Matildas.
The launch comes as record numbers of Australians are taking up football, with an estimated 1.97 million participants. 193,000 boys and girls took part in grassroots football in 2014, an increase of five per cent from 2013. An estimated 220,000 children are expected to take part in AIA Vitality MiniRoos this year, which will be delivered by over 1,600 local football clubs.
Players, coaches and referees can register to “Play Football” by logging onto Australia's biggest online sports registration portal, which can be found at http://www.myfootballclub.com.au/
Get down to the following Centres this weekend to meet your Hyundai A-League heroes and get involved in some fun football activities.
* Adelaide United - Westfield Tea Tree Plaza – Thursday 5th February 5-7pm
* Central Coast Mariners - Westfield Tuggerah – Thursday 5th February 5-7pm (Click here for more details)
* Newcastle Jets - Westfield Kotara – Saturday 7th February 12.30–2.30pm
* Melbourne City - Westfield Plenty Valley – Sunday 8th February 11am-2pm
* Perth Glory - Westfield Whitford City – Sunday 8th February 11am-2pm
* Western Sydney Wanderers - Westfield Penrith - Thursday February 12th 4.30pm-5.30pm
* Melbourne Victory - Westfield Knox - Friday February 27th 4pm-5pm
Check back regularly as more clubs announce their appearances.
Check westfield.com.au for more detailed information.