Classy Caltex Socceroos earn scoreless draw in Honduras
The Caltex Socceroos go into the second leg of their inter-continental World Cup playoff in a good position after an impressive display in a 0-0 draw with Honduras on Saturday (AEDT).
On a sub-standard pitch that was heavy, slow and bumpy, both sides struggled to adapt to the conditions.
Australia were rarely threatened by Honduras whose long ball game failed to cause the visitors any serious problems.
That said, the Caltex Socceroos weren’t able to take advantage of a number of good opportunities to take a lead with them back to Australia.
Overall, Ange Postecoglou's men deserved to win by a goal or two, but a 0-0 is still a handy result.
STORY OF THE GAME
· A cacophony of noise greeted the teams who walked out at the Stadio Olimpico Metropolitano in San Pedro Sula.
· In the first 10 minutes, the Hondurans got in behind the Socceroos defence with balls through twice - Sainsbury’s perfectly timed tackle keeping Los Catrachos at bay.
· Luongo’s purposeful run and shot Australia’s best moment on 11 minutes.
· A penalty shout for Australia: Wright collided with the Honduras keeper but after the Italian referee appeared to point to the spot he conferred with his assistant and the decision was a free kick to Honduras.
· 33’ mins: Juric with the best chance of the game: through on goal with a clever flick over his defender the Aussie striker screwed it wide. A bobble on the pitch to blame.
HALF TIME: 0-0: Honduras huffed and puffed but rarely really threatened, opting for long balls over the top. Australia grew into the half with a composed and classy display.
· Two Aussie defenders were yellow carded in the opening two minutes of the second stanza.
· Australia with two excellent chances to take the lead as the pattern of the game continued: the Socceroos spurning good opportunities but looking in control while Honduras trying to hit on the break.
· 81’ mins: Mat Ryan with a strong stop to keep out Honduras.
FULL TIME: 0-0
Analysis: 3 keys to Caltex Socceroos success in Honduras
The Caltex Socceroos will be looking to bring a positive result back from San Pedro Sula in the first leg of the winner-takes-all World Cup play-off against Honduras. We’ve picked out three keys to getting the job done ahead of the second leg in Sydney. SEIZING THE INITIATI
FFA receives confirmation from FIFA that single yellow cards won't carry through to Honduras matches
Football Federation Australia (FFA) received official confirmation from the FIFA Disciplinary Committee that all single cautions that have not resulted in an expulsion or in a match suspension are cancelled for the CONCACAF/AFC intercontinental play-off matches of the 2018 FIFA W
Caltex Socceroos squad update
Football Federation Australia (FFA) can advise that Tim Cahill will join the Caltex Socceroos squad in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, this week. Cahill will join his Caltex Socceroos teammates for the forthcoming 2018 FIFA World Cup Intercontinental Play-off (CONCACAF-Asian Zone) o
Honduras identify Celtic's Rogic as danger man for WC playoff with Aussies
Talisman Tim Cahill may have fired Australia into a World Cup play-off against Honduras but it’s another star which the Central American outfit are more concerned about ahead of their winner-takes-all clash with the Caltex Socceroos.
Honduras stadium insider: Estadio Olímpico Metropolitano
The Caltex Socceroos are just two games away from a fourth consecutive FIFA World Cup but face a tricky task against a dangerous Honduras outfit in a two-legged play-off. In a boost for Australia, Ange Postecoglou’s side will play at home in the crucial second leg in front of
Caltex Socceroos boss: we’re ready for Honduras ‘battle’
With just over a week until the winner-takes-all clash against Honduras, Ange Postecoglou says the Caltex Socceroos are fully-equipped to handle San Pedro Sula’s pressure-cooker environment in the first leg of the FIFA 2018 World Cup intercontinental play-off. Australia has no
Returning Jedinak to boost Caltex Socceroos: Ange
Caltex Socceroos boss Ange Postecoglou believes Mile Jedinak’s return will provide a significant boost for next month’s winner-takes-all World Cup play-off against Honduras. The Caltex Socceroos skipper was one of three inclusions to a 25-man squad named by Postecoglou on Tues
Ange: Experience to benefit Caltex Socceroos against Honduras
Ange Postecoglou says the experience within the Caltex Socceroos squad will prove crucial in next month’s winner-takes-all FIFA 2018 World Cup Intercontinental play-off against Honduras. On Tuesday, Postecoglou named a 25-man squad for the two-legged tie scheduled for November
Ange names 25-man Caltex Socceroos squad for Honduras play-off
Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Ange Postecoglou has today named a 25-player squad for November’s 2018 FIFA World Cup Intercontinental Play-off (CONCACAF-Asian Zone) against Honduras. Postecoglou’s squad will be bolstered by the addition of two players who are suspended for the fi
Honduras name 25-man squad for Caltex Socceroos clash
Honduras head coach Jorge Luis Pinto has named a 25-man squad for his team’s intercontinental winner-takes-all playoff against Caltex Socceroos for a place in the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Houston Dynamo forwards Romell Quioto (6 goals) and Alberth Elis (4 goals) - Honduras’ two to